Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Please, be serious.

He has a hard-on for Heinen for some reason. It is pretty irrational, but Heinen is one of the hardest working players on the team shift by shift, especially among the young guys. But, it is true, he rarely throws a hit and doesn't engage in displays of emotion. That means he isn't trying very hard out there.

Reactions: Lo97 and CDJ

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
By the numbers, Debrusk is the softest forward on this team.

12 hits, 6 blocked shots.

Heinen:

15 hits, 25 blocked shots. At least he gets in front of the puck.

The main difference I see between the two of them is that JDB willingly puts himself in postions where he's going to get hit much more often than Heinen.

Maybe it's because Heinen reads the play better -- although I don't really believe that -- or maybe I'm entirely wrong. But when I think about a snapshot of the two of them playing hockey -- I see JDB getting hit or trying to plow through an opponent and I see Heinen trying to poke check his way around a guy.

I don't know if there's a stat that tracks how many times a player receives a body check or not, but in my minds eye, I'd think JDB would be ahead of Heinen in that stat by about a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He has a hard-on for Heinen for some reason. It is pretty irrational, but Heinen is one of the hardest working players on the team shift by shift, especially among the young guys. But, it is true, he rarely throws a hit and doesn't engage in displays of emotion. That means he isn't trying very hard out there.
I think he's trying, but Christ. Show me something? He will get pushed and shoved in scrums and he just tucks his tail, guys will be in a scrum and he's skating around on the outside waiting for it to end. I think he's a pretty sound defensive player, but Danton Heinen should remain on the third line. I see numerous times when he can separate a guy from the puck and he cuts away and throws his stick in and does a drive by.

I just wish he was more engaged in that regard, especially in the post season. Seems like most guys buy in, where as he regresses.

I see much more out of JDB in the post season than i do Heinen. Seems like JDB steps up his intensity, even agitates while Heinen is lollygagging around.

Reactions: Strafer

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
It's funny cause he threw a huge hit last night and everyone seems to forget about and talk about how he does fly byes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he's trying, but Christ. Show me something? He will get pushed and shoved in scrums and he just tucks his tail, guys will be in a scrum and he's skating around on the outside waiting for it to end. I think he's a pretty sound defensive player, but Danton Heinen should remain on the third line. I see numerous times when he can separate a guy from the puck and he cuts away and throws his stick in and does a drive by.

I just wish he was more engaged in that regard, especially in the post season. Seems like most guys buy in, where as he regresses.

I see much more out of JDB in the post season than i do Heinen. Seems like JDB steps up his intensity, even agitates while Heinen is lollygagging around.

I give you that he isn't a physical player in terms of hit-throwing and I think the Bruins need some of that, but he isn't that guy. What he does he does well, and third line is a fine place for him, but the amount of shitting all over him that goes on from some is just over the top.

EDIT: this got lopped off somehow:

I don't understand why a player needs to mill around in a scrum face-washing, cussing at the opponents, throwing ticky-tack little cross-checks, or grabbing someone in a headlock to indicate that he is buying in.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He did with 1:58 left in the first. Now we can debate if it was huge or not but it was really solid.
I saw him make some contact, for sure. Maybe that's huge for Heinen, I guess.

I also saw him do several drive bys, and even posted a clear one on the GDT last night. Basically any other player would have made open ice contact in that situation, instead he avoided, went to the outside and tossed his stick towards him. I think he's legit afraid to make hard contact because some guy might come up and face wash him after or something.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I give you that he isn't a physical player in terms of hit-throwing and I think the Bruins need some of that, but he isn't that guy. What he does he does well, and third line is a fine place for him, but the amount of ****ting all over him that goes on from some is just over the top.
So, what guy is he?

I admit I'm guilty of shitting on Heinen, but for the life of me I just can't understand how he has all of this value. There seems to be two extremes on him, guys who don't think he's great, and guys who do.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
"Danton Heinen was on the ice for x amount of goals and x against last post season!"

Yeah, because Charlie Coyle was a machine.

it dates much further back than just last postseason. Or even since Charlie coyle started playing with him not even a full season ago.

heinen is #1 in the league in 5v5 goals for to goals against ratio since the start of the 2017 season. Considering the revolving door of linemates and the lack of chemistry he gets to build with players it’s amazing he is almost a .50 point per game player and leads the league in GF/GA the last 3 seasons combined.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So, what guy is he?

I admit I'm guilty of ****ting on Heinen, but for the life of me I just can't understand how he has all of this value. There seems to be two extremes on him, guys who don't think he's great, and guys who do.

I think the Bruins are in the camp of seeing his value. There have been many calling for him to be part of a trade deal for two season now and he remains a Bruin. To me he is a smart two-way player, a pretty good stick-handler as well, and he a good eye for setting up his linemates. He would be one of my choices for defending a lead late, and he does a good job of pressuring on the forecheck. This might actually lower his stock in the eyes of some (if that is possible) but he is very similar to Par Lindholm except that he has a lot more offensive skill.

Reactions: Estlin

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
So, what guy is he?

I admit I'm guilty of ****ting on Heinen, but for the life of me I just can't understand how he has all of this value. There seems to be two extremes on him, guys who don't think he's great, and guys who do.
Heinen at this point in his career does not belong on your top two lines and if he is the only option you have bigger problems
He belongs on the third line playing against other bottom six guys
I agree with you there are some on here who completely over value him
And I still believe the Bruins over payed him by a million bucks per year

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
it dates much further back than just last postseason. Or even since Charlie coyle started playing with him not even a full season ago.

heinen is #1 in the league in 5v5 goals for to goals against ratio since the start of the 2017 season. Considering the revolving door of linemates and the lack of chemistry he gets to build with players it’s amazing he is almost a .50 point per game player and leads the league in GF/GA the last 3 seasons combined.

I am a big Heinen fan but I'm seeking some clarity here since it keeps getting posted. "5v5 goals for to goals against ratio" is simply 5 on 5 +/-, isn't it?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Hopefully the Bruins can use this data to impress other teams of his value so he can be included in a trade to upgrade our forward group. I just don't see his value, I really don't, if you want someone to miss an open net or a grade A scoring chance, he's your man.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Danton Heinen has value around the league to some teams. There ARE teams that would like him on their rosters, and that indicates a value. Now, what that value is, is debatable.

FWIW, the following teams have a roster spot open during the holiday freeze to sign Kovalchuk: Arizona, Dallas, Philly, Florida, Washington, Carolina, Minnesota, Tampa, Nashville, NYR, Montreal, Ottawa, Colorado, CBJ.

Three of those are on Kovy's list.

Here's a list of teams that can make a trade during the holiday roster freeze but would require a miracle to make it happen: Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, St Louis, Vancouver, VGK, Chicago, Detroit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So, what guy is he?

No it’s people who understand he has value as a middle 6 player and people who shit on him because he doesn’t hit

Reactions: Lo97

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
No it’s people who understand he has value as a middle 6 player and people who **** on him because he doesn’t hit

There is where we disagree. Middle six is 2nd or third line.

I think he’s a decent third liner....too good to be a fourth liner, not consistent enough to be a second liner (at least on a contender).

Aside from the lack of physical play, my biggest issue is his lack of consistency. Way too many stretches of unproductive play...points-wise.

The reason he’s brought up as trade bait so often is simply because not every team has the lack of toughness/grit up front that the Bruins do.

If this were 2011 and he was on the third line, it wouldn’t be a problem because so many others could do the dirty work.

This team, right now needs size and toughness in the top 6. Heinen is a logical guy to suggest using as part of a package to get it because of his age, contract and role here, IMO.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He doesn't really score either. **** the hitting, in the post season he's invisible.

Let me rephrase that for you

" in the post season he HAS BEEN invisible."

He is still young enough, and I would guess has gained the experience to know what it takes, that you can't say definitively one way or the other, that it will continue.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Let me rephrase that for you

" in the post season he HAS BEEN invisible."

He is still young enough, and I would guess has gained the experience to know what it takes, that you can't say definitively one way or the other, that it will continue.
Sure. He HAS been invisible.

Again, not saying he doesn't belong on the team... but he's absolutely NOTHING more than a 3rd liner.

Reactions: sarge88 and Strafer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
There is where we disagree. Middle six is 2nd or third line.

I think he’s a decent third liner....too good to be a fourth liner, not consistent enough to be a second liner (at least on a contender).

Aside from the lack of physical play, my biggest issue is his lack of consistency. Way too many stretches of unproductive play...points-wise.

The reason he’s brought up as trade bait so often is simply because not every team has the lack of toughness/grit up front that the Bruins do.

If this were 2011 and he was on the third line, it wouldn’t be a problem because so many others could do the dirty work.

This team, right now needs size and toughness in the top 6. Heinen is a logical guy to suggest using as part of a package to get it because of his age, contract and role here, IMO.

I don't believe in untouchables. I would trade Bergeron in the right deal.

That said, I think those that don't want to trade Heinen are over valuing him and those that want to are undervaluing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad