Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I certainly wouldn’t say everyone’s opinion changes.

Can’t imagine I’ll ever dislike Bergeron.

Can’t imagine I’ll ever like Heinen.

If you mean that over time people change their expectations of a player based on age/role, then probably.

Just because my opinion can change over time doesn't mean it will, again it depends on what information I have. For example I was never really a big fan of Krejci (although according to some I apparently love Krejci a secretly want him to replace Bergy), but the more I watched him, the more I looked at his numbers compared to his peers and the more I talked to people, my opinion changed.

Truth be told, I wanted to trade Krejci to ANH for Bobby Ryan when we had Seguin. I thought Krejci a meh #2C and was easily replaceable. Today I'd say Krejci is a excellent #2C (maybe a bit underrated too) and could be a #1C on some team in the NHL.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just because my opinion can change over time doesn't mean it will, again it depends on what information I have. For example I was never really a big fan of Krejci (although according to some I apparently love Krejci a secretly want him to replace Bergy), but the more I watched him, the more I looked at his numbers compared to his peers and the more I talked to people, my opinion changed.

Truth be told, I wanted to trade Krejci to ANH for Bobby Ryan when we had Seguin. I thought Krejci a meh #2C and was easily replaceable. Today I'd say Krejci is a excellent #2C (maybe a bit underrated too) and could be a #1C on some team in the NHL.

In fairness...at the time that deal would have definitely made sense.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
@Mr. Make-Believe - Also, why is this appealing to LA?

Backes isn't a 35+ contract so if they bought him out they wouldn't be on the hook for the full cap hit. Backes I'm sure is also a better locker room guy and if their going to doing a rebuild, you want that veteran leadership around. Kovy is known to be moody which affects him on and off the ice. Not sure why Backes would be interested in LA though, unless they promised him a bigger role than he has in Boston.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
So I guess we have to trade a defenseman to get a true top 6 forward.

What teams are in need?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
First I think you have to answer "what d-man fetches a top 6 forward"

Krug is probably it, and I don't know if that is the right deal for the Bruins given what we've seen as offensive output from the rest of the D corps so far this season. McAvoy is still a work in progress, as is Grizz, Carlo won't be the guy to put up points on the blueline, Clifton is a big question mark. Chara, Kamp, Miller, Moore can't be relied on for any kind of meaningful, consistent offense.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Krug is probably it, and I don't know if that is the right deal for the Bruins given what we've seen as offensive output from the rest of the D corps so far this season. McAvoy is still a work in progress, as is Grizz, Carlo won't be the guy to put up points on the blueline, Clifton is a big question mark. Chara, Kamp, Miller, Moore can't be relied on for any kind of meaningful, consistent offense.

They’re going to need to go the package route, IMO.

Grizz, a guy in Providence and a pick....not a 1 though.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They’re going to need to go the package route, IMO.

Grizz, a guy in Providence and a pick....not a 1 though.

I am guessing they don't do that based on past history, but Grizz is the last one I want to trade off that blueline were it to happen. Let's bundle up Zboril, a 2nd rounder, and John Moore and get a 50 point winger.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pageau just had a hatty for Ottawa. Up to 11 goals and leads the league at a +19. Right shot. He is a free agent at season’s end. But might be a guy who can fill the need. More realistic option.

HOW DO YOU LEAD THE LEAGUE IN +\- ON THAT TEAM????????

Is he god?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Pageau just had a hatty for Ottawa. Up to 11 goals and leads the league at a +19. Right shot. He is a free agent at season’s end. But might be a guy who can fill the need. More realistic option.
Always have felt that Pageau would be perfect for this team.

He's definitely a guy I'd be interested in. UFA after the season as well.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

JGP is going to cost a lot because he's having a career year and Idk if its sustainable. His S% right now is twice his career average. He's playing 17-18 minutes a night (wont get that here). He's on pace for 68 points, which smokes his career best for 4 years ago of 43 points.

Either this guy is a very late bloomer at 27yr old or this season is an anomaly.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Problem with Krug is the teams looking to add him are also playoff contenders and so they'll probably be unwilling to move a top 6 forward for him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
@Mr. Make-Believe - Also, why is this appealing to LA?

Backes isn't a 35+ contract so if they bought him out they wouldn't be on the hook for the full cap hit. Backes I'm sure is also a better locker room guy and if their going to doing a rebuild, you want that veteran leadership around. Kovy is known to be moody which affects him on and off the ice. Not sure why Backes would be interested in LA though, unless they promised him a bigger role than he has in Boston.
Kovalchuk has been shelved because he can’t contribute on the ice. Neither can Backes. Why trade one cap headache for another if you’re getting the same non-production?

And not sure what you mean about being on the hook for the entire cap hit... Both players are under contract. $4M as opposed to $6M in a buyout next summer? The only hope for LA would be that Backes retires. At that point however, it would be more in the Bruins’ interest to keep Backes.

Kovalchuk (if dealt) will be done with salary retained for a minor asset (say a fifth) to a team who believes the risk is worth the new cap hit. That’s a deal that would make sense for them. Not this Backes nonsense.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Problem with Krug is the teams looking to add him are also playoff contenders and so they'll probably be unwilling to move a top 6 forward for him.

That is true, and I am not advocating trading Krug or even what his market might be, just that out of our D as things currently stand, he is probably the only one (leaving McAvoy as surely a non-starter for the Bs) that could bring back that top 6 forward without significant adds.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Kovalchuk has been shelved because he can’t contribute on the ice. Neither can Backes. Why trade one cap headache for another if you’re getting the same non-production?

And not sure what you mean about being on the hook for the entire cap hit... Both players are under contract. $4M as opposed to $6M in a buyout next summer? The only hope for LA would be that Backes retires. At that point however, it would be more in the Bruins’ interest to keep Backes.

Kovalchuk (if dealt) will be done with salary retained for a minor asset (say a fifth) to a team who believes the risk is worth the new cap hit. That’s a deal that would make sense for them. Not this Backes nonsense.

If LA bought out Kovy they'd be on the hook for his full cap hit ($6.25 million). If they bought out Backes they'd only be on the hook for $4 million in cap spcace, so they save $2.25 million next season. $2.25 million + removing Kovy from the locker room sounds like a win/win if your LA. Sure, maybe Backes doesn't give you anymore production than Kovy does, but he's a hell of a lot better guy to have around the locker room should you decide to hold onto him for the following year. I'm also not convinced that he's been benched simply for not producing. Kovy currently sits T-4th in points for LA and 1 point separates him from being 2nd on the team in points.. So if you're benching him for poor performance, you basically need to bench your entire team.

On the surface, it appears that Kovy is unhappy and its affecting the team on the ice and in the locker room. If the team tells you that you're welcome to practice but you're not going to play, it signals to be they don't want you around the organization. If it was as simple as poor play, that wouldn't be the case.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That is true, and I am not advocating trading Krug or even what his market might be, just that out of our D as things currently stand, he is probably the only one (leaving McAvoy as surely a non-starter for the Bs) that could bring back that top 6 forward without significant adds.

No, I know what you were saying. I didn't mean to imply you were advocating Krug traded. I was just point out that while trading Krug would net a top 6 winger, it would be very difficult to make that deal happen that works for both sides.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If I was Sweeney, I would trade Grzelcyk and Clifton before Krug. I think it is easier to replace what Grzelcyk brings with one of Zboril, Lauzon, or Vaakanainen than it is for one those young players to try and match what Krug brings.

There's also not getting full value for Krug since he is an upcoming UFA.

Reactions: bbfan419

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Are there going to be any suitors lining up to take on half his salary for a year and a half given he was just basically exiled by one of the most wretched teams in the league? I mean, if they don't want him..

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am guessing they don't do that based on past history, but Grizz is the last one I want to trade off that blueline were it to happen. Let's bundle up Zboril, a 2nd rounder, and John Moore and get a 50 point winger.

Agree that I'd much rather keep Grizz, but you've got to give to get.

I really worry that Sweeney will stand pat all year and a great opportunity will be missed because he's too afraid to trade three dimes for a quarter.

I'll take the .05 loss if the quarter provides what they need for this season.

I understand that you can't make moves like that on a consistent basis, but other than a few players and their first this year, I'd say everyone should be in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad