Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It's early, but this summer doesn't feel like it's all about one more run to me. It feels like they think that was our last kick at the can with this group, and they're turning the page, putting more of an emphasis on youth and the future.

They didn't want to include a high pick or prospect to move Backes. Why? Because the pick is now more important than the cap space. They didn't want to find a long-term solution to Krejci's RW. Why? Because the RW that is right for Krejci may not be the RW that's right for Studnicka or Frederic.

I don’t know that I believe all that but it’s the one theory nobody has considered, and if you look at their decisions to this point, they do line up.

The other two theories are no cap space and LTIR Backes. I don't buy the cap excuse. Dom has already showed that we could afford to add a $4m piece with his Gusev proposal. And I would love to believe that they intend to LTIR Backes forever and make a big trade but that seems like a long shot so I'm not getting my hopes up.

It seems far more likely to me that Sweeney really does believe that two of Ritchie, Kuhlman and Bjork could do more for this team this year than say Donskoi, Johansson or Ferland (or whatever UFA you liked). I've been trying to see things from that perspective, and there is something there...

Bjork was the real deal before he got hurt. A dynamic puck carrier and playmaker in college and Providence who showed flashes in the NHL. I know he's been hurt twice and that's a problem, but if he can stay healthy he can replace a lot of what Johansson brought, at least during the regular season.

Kuhlman put up 21 points in his last 28 games in Providence and looked like an NHL'er when he was up with Boston, not a top6 NHL'er but a 3rd line guy for sure.

Ritchie is a total wild card. I've done some research on him, I've watched every NHL goal and every assist, and he has some ability. He's massive and is a real force along the walls. He's a natural net front guy who sets screens and doesn't get out of the way when a shot is taken like everyone we've used there so far. He has a good shot. He makes some nifty passes. He must be terribly inconsistent because he has the skillset of an NHL power forward, but he doesn't have the production. I think when fans here see him for the first time they're going to think he was a sneaky good find, but we won't really know what we have until 40 or so games and we find out who he fits with and how consistent he is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Cehlarik. I don't know if Sweeney's inclusion of him was legit or not, he hasn't been very interested in him up til now, but I still believe he's an NHL player and the best shot at making Krejci-Pastrnak work as a line.
I “like”d this message, but more for the thought process than actually genuinely liking it.

I do see what you’re seeing (they believe last year was their shot - now the plan is future/future/future), but I believe that assessment to be inaccurate.

Fact is, having your stars signed to sweetheart deals should give you cap flexibility to add quality support. But when that space is filled with bottom-of-the-roster free agent additions, it neutralizes the advantage.

Can’t use the cap as an excuse when the wounds are self-inflicted. And partly because of that, it appears as though they are pivoting early. It strikes me as being a mistake.

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's early, but this summer doesn't feel like it's all about one more run to me. It feels like they think that was our last kick at the can with this group, and they're turning the page, putting more of an emphasis on youth and the future.

They didn't want to include a high pick or prospect to move Backes. Why? Because the pick is now more important than the cap space. They didn't want to find a long-term solution to Krejci's RW. Why? Because the RW that is right for Krejci may not be the RW that's right for Studnicka or Frederic.

I don’t know that I believe all that but it’s the one theory nobody has considered, and if you look at their decisions to this point, they do line up.

The other two theories are no cap space and LTIR Backes. I don't buy the cap excuse. Dom has already showed that we could afford to add a $4m piece with his Gusev proposal. And I would love to believe that they intend to LTIR Backes forever and make a big trade but that seems like a long shot so I'm not getting my hopes up.

It seems far more likely to me that Sweeney really does believe that two of Ritchie, Kuhlman and Bjork could do more for this team this year than say Donskoi, Johansson or Ferland (or whatever UFA you liked). I've been trying to see things from that perspective, and there is something there...

Bjork was the real deal before he got hurt. A dynamic puck carrier and playmaker in college and Providence who showed flashes in the NHL. I know he's been hurt twice and that's a problem, but if he can stay healthy he can replace a lot of what Johansson brought, at least during the regular season.

Kuhlman put up 21 points in his last 28 games in Providence and looked like an NHL'er when he was up with Boston, not a top6 NHL'er but a 3rd line guy for sure.

Ritchie is a total wild card. I've done some research on him, I've watched every NHL goal and every assist, and he has some ability. He's massive and is a real force along the walls. He's a natural net front guy who sets screens and doesn't get out of the way when a shot is taken like everyone we've used there so far. He has a good shot. He makes some nifty passes. He must be terribly inconsistent because he has the skillset of an NHL power forward, but he doesn't have the production. I think when fans here see him for the first time they're going to think he was a sneaky good find, but we won't really know what we have until 40 or so games and we find out who he fits with and how consistent he is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Cehlarik. I don't know if Sweeney's inclusion of him was legit or not, he hasn't been very interested in him up til now, but I still believe he's an NHL player and the best shot at making Krejci-Pastrnak work as a line.
I agree and disagree.

I still think Bruins' management believes this group has one more run in them. If they didn't, we may have seen guys like Krejci, Krug, Chara and/or Marchand dealt this offseason. However, the Bruins are in a weird place right now. I think they know what they have in their center and defensive prospects in terms of where they are in their development. I think there are more questions at wing.

Where do Bjork, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Kuhlman, and Fitzgerald stand? Excluding Kuhlman (who also looks like he is ready to make the jump), the rest have been in the organization for quite some time. They should be on the cusp of winning a position in the NHL. Management probably has a good idea where they are in their development, and I think that may have played a part in not committing to someone like Johansson who is nearing his 30s (injury history is there too) and most likely would have not been a long-term member of the Bruins' core moving forward. They are better off seeing what they have rather than committing roster space to someone without a future on the team.

In my opinion, I would still like to see Sweeney add another forward, but it has to be someone young and someone that could potentially be a part of the next Bruins' core. Gusev may fit that criteria as he would be the next wave of veterans for the Bruins like Krug.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I “like”d this message, but more for the thought process than actually genuinely liking it.

I do see what you’re seeing (last year was their shot - now the plan is future/future/future), but I believe that assessment to be inaccurate.

Fact is, having your stars signed to sweetheart deals should give you cap flexibility to add quality support. But when that space is filled with bottom-of-the-roster free agent additions, it neutralizes the advantage.

Can’t use the cap as an excuse when the wounds are self-inflicted. And partly because of that, it appears as though they are pivoting early. It strikes me as being a mistake.

Sorry I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you think they are pivoting to focus on the future, and that's a mistake. Or are you saying the theory that they're shifting their focus to the future is not accurate?

I agree, having those sweetheart deals should make them more aggressive, not less. But I also recognize that Krejci is 33 and Bergeron is 34. As far back as I cared to look (which was 25 years) there's never been a Cup winner with their top2 centers in their mid-30's. I also think that at some point in the next 12 months at least one of Frederic/Studnicka are going to be NHL ready.

Sweeney is a player development guy, who's vision of the team is different than what we see on a nightly basis. He's drafted and developed a succession plan that is just about NHL ready. If that were you, would you be making moves to support the current core or setting things up for your long-range vision to come to fruition in the next 6 to 18 months?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Sorry I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you think they are pivoting to focus on the future, and that's a mistake. Or are you saying the theory that they're shifting their focus to the future is not accurate?

I agree, having those sweetheart deals should make them more aggressive, not less. But I also recognize that Krejci is 33 and Bergeron is 34. As far back as I cared to look (which was 25 years) there's never been a Cup winner with their top2 centers in their mid-30's. I also think that at some point in the next 12 months at least one of Frederic/Studnicka are going to be NHL ready.

Sweeney is a player development guy, who's vision of the team is different than what we see on a nightly basis. He's drafted and developed a succession plan that is just about NHL ready. If that were you, would you be making moves to support the current core or setting things up for your long-range vision to come to fruition in the next 6 to 18 months?
I see where that was confused. Sorry about that. I edited my post for clarity. Management may believe that, but they are wrong to.

It's one year too early and it's one easy play. Eat just that little bit of shit and give Chara the send-off he deserves. Or at least a chance at it.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I agree and disagree.

I still think Bruins' management believes this group has one more run in them. If they didn't, we may have seen guys like Krejci, Krug, Chara and/or Marchand dealt this offseason. However, the Bruins are in a weird place right now. I think they know what they have in their center and defensive prospects in terms of where they are in their development. I think there are more questions at wing.

Where do Bjork, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Kuhlman, and Fitzgerald stand? Excluding Kuhlman (who also looks like he is ready to make the jump), the rest have been in the organization for quite some time. They should be on the cusp of winning a position in the NHL. Management probably has a good idea where they are in their development, and I think that may have played a part in not committing to someone like Johansson who is nearing his 30s (injury history is there too) and most likely would have not been a long-term member of the Bruins' core moving forward. They are better off seeing what they have rather than committing roster space to someone without a future on the team.

In my opinion, I would still like to see Sweeney add another forward, but it has to be someone young and someone that could potentially be a part of the next Bruins' core. Gusev may fit that criteria as he would be the next wave of veterans for the Bruins like Krug.

I don't think they need to have a firesale to shift their focus. It's about what they're willing to commit (or not commit) resources to.

Sweeney's plan has never been firesale, it's draft, develop, and transition to the new guys when they're ready. He's gradually transitioned the defense to a mobile, puckmoving group. He wants speed on the wings and has pieces in place in Marchand, Pasta and DeBrusk. Maybe Bjork and Kuhlman will join that group this year. When the centers are ready, who are they going to replace? Not Bergeron, I expect he'll be re-signed every year until he's 40.

It's also about Sweeney's vision. He wants to get his size/strength from center and his slippery skill and speed on the wing. But Krejci is slippery and skillsy in the middle, and likes to play with size/strength on the wing. So if they signed a Ferland type to play with Krejci, that might have worked well this year, but I don't think it's what they want the lineup to look like in a year or two. Ritchie, on a one year deal kind of bridges that gap. If he works out, he could be the winger Krejci likes and

Again, it's just a theory. I'm arguing one side, but I'm just doing that to hash it all out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I see where that was confused. Sorry about that. I edited my post for clarity. Management may believe that, but they are wrong to.

It's one year too early and it's one easy play. Eat just that little bit of **** and give Chara the send-off he deserves. Or at least a chance at it.

I agree. Hopefully they do something before the season or at the deadline to give them one more chance. :crossfing

Reactions: Strafer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I agree. Hopefully they do something before the season or at the deadline to give them one more chance. :crossfing
I think Sweeney believes better options will come his way.
There's also the fact that he wants acquisitions to be the right fit for the team.
See how the team performs with the kids, adapt and then do a trade or 2 for the right players. Then there's the deadline.

Like he did last season.
Sweeney, the organization and the players want another shot at the cup.

I don't believe Sweeney will fold. He'll do what it takes for another run without gambling the future.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA

I do see what you’re seeing (they believe last year was their shot - now the plan is future/future/future), but I believe that assessment to be inaccurate.

I want to take this post out to dinner, treat it to a nice bottle of Shiraz and then propose to it. That's how much I like it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

They *seem* to be worrying more about next season as far as money than this current one. You'll have year 2 of the Carlo/Mac deals and you need to re up Krug, Coyle and DeBrusk. The plan is obviously again to deal at the deadline for a rental and hope to catch MoJo lightning in a bottle I guess.

I think you need to go for it this year. You have a 7 and 8 defenseman making over 5 mil. You have Backes at 6 mil. You have Buyouts at 3 mil.

You really playing this season with 14 mil of "dead" cap space?

Backes and Moore may be put on LTIR meaning the Bruins have 18 million right now. For some unknown reason they love Miller and he will be here...Guessing high end, 7 mil and 4 mil for the two D leaves 7 mil, but Moore will come back at some point.

Feels a heck of a lot like 2012 when the Bruins did nothing that summer. Sweeney won't go into a year long hibernation like Chia did though IMO.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
The Moore & Miller recovery times allow opportunity to evaluate where our defensive depth (and health) is for this season. If Lauzon & Urho & Zboril (are still here?) and look like they're ready to go the first part of the year, that makes it easier to move both Moore & Miller for non roster assets, freeing up cap space and assets for a deadline pickup.

How important is it to avoid rolling bonuses over to the next season? Kick that can down the road a year I guess.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Well at least there something out-there on Backes even if it is coming from Jimmmy Murphy.

Makes me wonder on how legit it is though, and if Murphys source comes from within his bath-room walls as he gazes into his mirror, but the Devils do have the Cap space. On the other hand, why would the devils want to eat up space towards next year when Hall and Vatanen hits the UFA market, and Hischier becomes an RFA. It would be like taking a step backwards after taking two ahead, this year. Perhaps Shero feels Backes leadership will help the young Devils in Hughes and Hischier, which would make some sense, and I'd like to see it happen, but not at the expense of this years first.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Well at least there something out-there on Backes even if it is coming from Jimmmy Murphy.

Makes me wonder on how legit it is though, and if Murphys source comes from within his bath-room walls as he gazes into his mirror, but the Devils do have the Cap space. On the other hand, why would the devils want to eat up space towards next year when Hall and Vatanen hits the UFA market, and Hischier becomes an RFA. It would be like taking a step backwards after taking two ahead, this year. Perhaps Shero feels Backes leadership will help the young Devils in Hughes and Hischier, which would make some sense, and I'd like to see it happen, but not at the expense of this years first.

Hall has started to pull a Panarin and stated he may not want to resign with New Jersey. So the Devils may pull a Columbus and go all in for this season before losing him to Free Agency next summer.

Here is a tidbit that all that is coming from:
"You want to play on the best team possible, and I’ve played nine seasons in the NHL and only won one playoff game."

NJ knows if they dont get competativethis season they will lose Hall.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Hall has started to pull a Panarin and stated he may not want to resign with New Jersey. So the Devils may pull a Columbus and go all in for this season before losing him to Free Agency next summer.

Here is a tidbit that all that is coming from:
"You want to play on the best team possible, and I’ve played nine seasons in the NHL and only won one playoff game."

NJ knows if they dont get competativethis season they will lose Hall.

Well getting Backes sure isn't going to help.

Reactions: Blowfish

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
David Backes To The Devils?

Take this with a grain of salt...
If this were to happen I could see Trent Frederic being the main part of the sweetener added, as he could be the perfect 3rd line center for the future behind Hughes and Hischier maybe add in Zboril as well. If it is roster players they would want Grizz and maybe Nordstrom, I would hate to give up Grizz, but if it meant not retaining any salary to get rid of Backes and not giving up any top picks or certain prospects I would do it.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If this were to happen I could see Trent Frederic being the main part of the sweetener added, as he could be the perfect 3rd line center for the future behind Hughes and Hischier maybe add in Zboril as well. If it is roster players they would want Grizz and maybe Nordstrom, I would hate to give up Grizz, but if it meant not retaining any salary to get rid of Backes and not giving up any top picks or certain prospects I would do it.

They wouldn't move Frederic in a deal for Schenn. Doubt they move him to dump Backes.
Gryz is way, way too much to dump Backes.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Any dumping of Backes will more than likely require sending 2020 1st round pick + average prospect

I would make the deal fwiw. And Taylor Hall isn't re-signing in NJ.

To NJ: Backes + 2020 1st + Fitzgerald or Blidh

To BOS: 2020 4th

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Any dumping of Backes will more than likely require sending 2020 1st round pick + average prospect

I would make the deal fwiw. And Taylor Hall isn't re-signing in NJ.

To NJ: Backes + 2020 1st + Fitzgerald or Blidh

To BOS: 2020 4th
DS already said he does not want to trade their top picks, so it would have to be a roster player or prospect(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->