Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Had really hoped we'd see a couple months of grace before people started chiming in how they have to tear the whole team down, rebuild, tank, make wholesale changes but... nope.
I'm finding too many fans nowadays, leaguewide, have morphed into these all or nothing arm-chair GMs that have reality stuck on ffwd because everything is about how it's going to work in three years or whatever instead of actually enjoying the team on the ice.
It can be fun to talk about but ...

not that long ago people figured the Bruins defence would be toast by now - after trading Hamilton, Boychk, Seids aging out, that Chara would be retired, that they had no one coming along in the system, and couldn't imagine a defence without those guys. How's it look now? They have one of the best young defensive cores in the league.
People didn't think the team could survive losing Marc Savard, Horton, Seguin, Lucic, Iginla, R. Smith, etc. up front or replace the Merlot Line and, although there are questions about the forwards going into the season and eventually some decisions will have to be made, this team just came 2nd in the regular season and Game 7 of The Finals, and us fans got to see them win more games this year than any other team in the league while playing an up-tempo style of hockey.
My favorite game of the playoffs was game 4 at Carolina

Moore -McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk- Clifton

Best transition I’ve seen since Orr player

All 6 between 21-28 ages

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
My favorite game of the playoffs was game 4 at Carolina

Moore -McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk- Clifton

Best transition I’ve seen since Orr player

All 6 between 21-28 ages

That was a really good game. Amazing to think how they got those guys - and then add in Lauzon, Vaakaneinen and possibly Zboril and that's modern day NHL.

I liked your earlier post when you broke down the line-up. Without over-stating it you showed - This is an elite team and probably the current favourite to win The Cup next year. If not The Favourite - then definitely in the top couple.
When I think/talk about this line-up and team it's not because I think there's anything wrong as they probably have less holes in their line-up than any team in The NHL, it's that if they could somehow figure out to afford/get one more impact winger than this team would be deadly - like we saw with the additions of Coyle and Johansson. Possibly one of the kids makes an impact and if they don't find anyone this summer than they'll be adding at the TDL next spring.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Why won't Sweeney just include a 2020 1st to get rid of Backes?

Bruins will likely be drafting 21-31

This years draft is suppose to be real deep and I don't think Sweeney is willing to pay that price. He may of tried during this past draft, but the problem lies with Backes be able to be only traded to 8 teams and of his choice, so that really handcuffs Sweeney. As more than likely those teams are all top teams who have a legit chance of winning the Cup and they certainly don't want a 6 million dollar cap hit of dead-weight either.

Too me he's hoping 1) Backes ges on LTIR 2) Backes get sick of being a healthy scratch or worse yet riding the buses down in Providence and expands his 8 team trade list significantly where he could actually be traded.

Sweeney has time on his side, there's no reason to push the panic button, the Bruins are still going to be a very deep talented team whether they move Backes or not.

Reactions: bbfan419

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I'm thinking Anaheim would be a good place to ship Backes, if possible. Maybe something revolving around Backes, Miller and a 1st round pick? Or LA for Toffoli?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Free agency should be for filling out depth and the "Final Piece" with the understanding that you're only likely to get a few years at most of the player meeting or exceeding the value of their contract. You're not likely to get a legitimate difference-maker who can play 1 or 2C in free agency. And even if you could, all you're doing is kicking the aging curve problem down the road slightly...and giving yourself a problematic contract at the end that you'll need to ship out.
Free agency should be the last resort to address roster needs.

And *you* may not be concerned about Bergy and Krejci's level of play, but every year past 32 that they don't see a serious decline should be seen as a huge gift. When gets fall off, they fall off hard. It's very rarely a slow, gradual decline.

If you're concerned about a guy you might sign in 2-3 years being a problematic contract at the end of it is kicking it down the curb... that's pretty much borrowing headaches. You're taking a hypothetical and adding a hypothetical on top of it that it might be bad in a decade or so... you're over-thinking it.

You don't want to be in the position where you 'need' to fill major holes in free agency however teams do every summer.
Plus trades. Being a recently successful viewed really well from the outside big market '06 franchise that spends to The Cap - there's just not going to be a shortage of players whom will want to come to Boston.

As far as guys dropping off after 32. I kinda disagree. Lower end players do, and there's always the possibility of injury like with Lecavalier and Nash - but top flight centres can play at a top level to probably around 37. We just haven't seen it as much lately because there was honestly not as many top-flight forwards that jumped into the league between '95 to the '02 draft. If a player is still really excellent at 31-33 it's unlikely you'll see a massive regression overnight. - especially with how much better care they take nowadays. Physically most of these guys are fine to that age - it's more whether they can mentally.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
If you're concerned about a guy you might sign in 2-3 years being a problematic contract at the end of it is kicking it down the curb... that's pretty much borrowing headaches. You're taking a hypothetical and adding a hypothetical on top of it that it might be bad in a decade or so... you're over-thinking it.
No, I'm saying that filling key roles through free agency with non-elite players is suboptimal and only likely to create future problems in the near term. You may have patched a hole in your lineup, but in all probability that player won't be worth what you're paying them in a few years and their level of play won't match the spot you slotted them into. So all you've done is temporarily patched a hole but created another one. Which is fine if you're in a win-now mode and the future doesn't matter, but if you're trying to build a sustainable contender, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You don't want to be in the position where you 'need' to fill major holes in free agency however teams do every summer.

Yes, and teams also buyout players and struggle to create cap space every summer because of decisions in the recent past.

Plus trades. Being a recently successful viewed really well from the outside big market '06 franchise that spends to The Cap - there's just not going to be a shortage of players whom will want to come to Boston.

I'm not slagging on trades. Aside from drafting and developing your own internal talent, the trade route should be pursued more often than free agency. Sure, signing a free agent doesn't "cost" any assets...at the time of signing, but it'll likely cost you assets in the future when you have to trade picks and prospects to get the dead weight off your cap.
As far as guys dropping off after 32. I kinda disagree. Lower end players do, and there's always the possibility of injury like with Lecavalier and Nash - but top flight centres can play at a top level to probably around 37. We just haven't seen it as much lately because there was honestly not as many top-flight forwards that jumped into the league between '95 to the '02 draft. If a player is still really excellent at 31-33 it's unlikely you'll see a massive regression overnight. - especially with how much better care they take nowadays. Physically most of these guys are fine to that age - it's more whether they can mentally.

Elite players still tend to decline along the expected aging curve, it's just that they're elite so their contributions are still more valuable than an average player. But it is real and measurable. And it's been studied many times with many different metrics and the conclusions are all consistent with one another.

https://hockeygraphsdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/overall-war-f_d.png?w=615

Yes, there are the exceptional players who stay a seemingly a high level for their entire careers, but I'm talking about probabilities. You can't bank on every single one of your key contributors to be an outlier. You have to operate based on a range of likely outcomes. If all your planning is for nought and you end up with a bunch of Joe Thorntons and Charas and Datsyuks, great! But if not, and you didn't plan accordingly...

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Zboril + pick

for

Pool party?

log jam for us at defense, RW is weakness for us. What would they counter with?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
No, I'm saying that filling key roles through free agency with non-elite players is suboptimal and only likely to create future problems in the near term. You may have patched a hole in your lineup, but in all probability that player won't be worth what you're paying them in a few years and their level of play won't match the spot you slotted them into. So all you've done is temporarily patched a hole but created another one. Which is fine if you're in a win-now mode and the future doesn't matter, but if you're trying to build a sustainable contender, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yes, and teams also buyout players and struggle to create cap space every summer because of decisions in the recent past.

I'm not slagging on trades. Aside from drafting and developing your own internal talent, the trade route should be pursued more often than free agency. Sure, signing a free agent doesn't "cost" any assets...at the time of signing, but it'll likely cost you assets in the future when you have to trade picks and prospects to get the dead weight off your cap.

Elite players still tend to decline along the expected aging curve, it's just that they're elite so their contributions are still more valuable than an average player. But it is real and measurable. And it's been studied many times with many different metrics and the conclusions are all consistent with one another.

https://hockeygraphsdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/overall-war-f_d.png?w=615

Yes, there are the exceptional players who stay a seemingly a high level for their entire careers, but I'm talking about probabilities. You can't bank on every single one of your key contributors to be an outlier. You have to operate based on a range of likely outcomes. If all your planning is for nought and you end up with a bunch of Joe Thorntons and Charas and Datsyuks, great! But if not, and you didn't plan accordingly...

I actually really appreciated that well thought out response. I don't 100% agree with your take but enjoy reading your posts.

one thing is that I agree in most circumstances that free agency isn't my first choice as I prefer the trade route - however if teams do it well it can be really useful. But a team really needs to know what they're doing. - and be a bit smarter than me. You don't have to look further than Chara and Krug.
A good example of a so far wasted opportunity is Toronto after signing Tavares. - with slightly different mind-set they could've traded Matthews for a king's ransom while still having JT as their #1 centre. They've allowed the Tavares signing to hamstring them - but that wasn't fait compli.

I'll try to get to the 'decline' aspect a bit later when I'm not busy.

Reactions: maxl7

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'm thinking Anaheim would be a good place to ship Backes, if possible. Maybe something revolving around Backes, Miller and a 1st round pick? Or LA for Toffoli?

With all due respect to you and others who want to include Boston's 1st round pick in trades - I just do not see Sweeney being willing to trade that pick unless the player coming back is an established "elite" top six with term that fits into Boston's cap structure both short and long term who is in their mid 20's and significantly improves the team.
This is not the old NHL where salaries of players didn't matter; there is now a cap and teams need to focus resources on developing players / prospects from within over time. Teams need a good player development strategy so they can have a steady stream of ELC players available to off set the higher established player's cap hits. This strategy must be circular so that as players price themselves out, age, or decline the team has options for how to replace such a player without breaking the bank via FA. Thus draft picks are or should be more valuable in today's NHL. I know not all will agree with this, but it is becoming clearer that this is more along the lines of Boston's strategy.
I know this might not be flashy but if done right it will allow Boston to remain a highly competitive team for years to come. They are drafting players of a certain character, skills and traits that they can develop who over time should be able to eventually step in and contribute effectively. This strategy is a long term plan and doesn't happen over night it takes time.
I'm not saying they won't trade draft picks under the right circumstances, but I don't forsee Sweeney just throwing a high draft pick into a trade proposal simply to entice another team to accept a trade. I may be wrong, but Sweeney has a long term plan so it will take a 'special' circumstance for him to seriously consider it.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Zboril + pick

for

Pool party?

log jam for us at defense, RW is weakness for us. What would they counter with?
They would counter with “take Lucic”. If they are serious about that, they will not be trading Pool Party. However, I think your deal is fair.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Gryz -McAvoy is a Stud pair I want to see on the ice for the next 10 years at least
That’s why I wanna see as well. With Chara rested here and there. Sign Mac and Carlo. Tack onto Krug..

Move a first with Backes. Get a veteran forward that has playoff games under his belt and could score sometimes. A old Joey Mullen type back in the day. Michael Ryder type. If you sleep on him . It’s in back of the net. That’s what it has come down too. Just had enough of the dream chasing players who are under contract with other teams. Who they are not getting. Plus the bruins aren’t trading anyone good off their roster . That goes for their better prospects as well. It’s the NHL.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Bos: Kovalchuk
LA: Backes, Miller, 3rd and the rights to Koko.

Swap Backes and Kovy contracts. Backes provides much needed leadership in the locker room for LA in exchange for the more skilled Kovalchuk. We add in Kokos rights and a 3rd to remove Millers contract to make room to sign McAvoy and Carlo long term.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Kovalchuk
Heinen-Coyle-Open spot for kid to win
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Gryz-McAvoy
Chara-Vaak
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Clifton

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Sounds like a proposal to me.

And one that doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense at that.
I may be wrong, but If the Bruins bought out Rask's contract, they would free up $4.6M in cap space. Have to think there would probably have to be a pretty good prospect (Frederic?) going to the Wild to even make them consider such a move.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I may be wrong, but If the Bruins bought out Rask's contract, they would free up $4.6M in cap space. Have to think there would probably have to be a pretty good prospect (Frederic?) going to the Wild to even make them consider such a move.

Yeah Capfriendly has it at 1.3m for three seasons to buy him out, so that saves 4.6 per year for two seasons, then on the hook for 1.3 with no savings. But I am with @Mr. Make-Believe that it doesn't make sense just at that. I would assume, like you, something must be headed Minnesota's way and something painful to lose most likely, else why would they do it when they could buy Rask out themselves for a lot cheaper.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins have needed a scoring RW to start the season the past many seasons. there is one available, Nikita Gusev. go get him Don.

What do you suggest Sweeney give Vegas for him as an unsigned RFA that doesn't have a single game of NHL experience? He was a good KHLer but so was Martin Bakos last year and that didn't work out too well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Hypothetically if Sweeney can’t find a trade partner for backes and teams don’t want to trade for Miller/Moore due to injuries, what does Sweeney do to free up cap space to sign McAvoy and Carlo. Sending Backes to providence only frees up $1.075m and that’s not enough.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sign me up for victor rask he's lost I know but he still has some potential and still young. Please Donny do this.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Rask - 3yrs @ $4 million ($12 million real money owed)

Backes - 2yrs @ $6 million ($5 million real money owed)

Minny takes on $2 million more to get out a year sooner and save $7 million in real money.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah Capfriendly has it at 1.3m for three seasons to buy him out, so that saves 4.6 per year for two seasons, then on the hook for 1.3 with no savings. But I am with @Mr. Make-Believe that it doesn't make sense just at that. I would assume, like you, something must be headed Minnesota's way and something painful to lose most likely, else why would they do it when they could buy Rask out themselves for a lot cheaper.

Maybe they don't want to buy anyone out?

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
What do you suggest Sweeney give Vegas for him as an unsigned RFA that doesn't have a single game of NHL experience? He was a good KHLer but so was Martin Bakos last year and that didn't work out too well.

wouldnt take much. The bigger problem is the cap space situation. have to free up another 3.5-4 million to sign him for at least one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad