Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Given the ages of the core players, the wear and tear of the playoffs, and the short offseason, is the Bruins missing the playoffs next year such an outrageous proposition? I'm not saying that they *will*, but to me it seems as likely as them getting to the Cup final again, if not more so.

Maybe if the Bruins weren't so good behind the Blue-line. With McAvoy Carlo, clifton, krug,Grizz and Z thats an unbelievable top six and is quickly becoming the strength of the Bruins, that and their depth down the middle is as strong as anyone's.

Speaking of strong defenses NHL network had game seven on the other night of the 1979 too many men on the ice game.:( But the one thing that really stood out re-watching that game was the dominance of the Canadiens defense their big three and their ability to retrieve the puck and start the break out. I bet Robinson and Savard played close to 40 minutes that night and were purely dominant,lapointe got injured in the third and was right up there till then. No other defenseman hardly hit the ice except Engblom. Bowman new what he had back there and if he was going to lose it was going to be with his HOF horses.

One thing that Bowman did that you'll never see today, especially in a game seven he dressed only 5 defenseman for the game and then when Lapointe got hurt he was down to 4 but primarily played 3.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sorry I been reading twitter and every day the Bruins get worse and worse.

Many have them out of the playoffs already and trending to the the single digit lottery

And this if just the Bruins fans

Other fan bases think Chara is their only defenseman and Bergeron their only forward - and proclaim they are old and done

I prefer a fanbase that is a bit hard on a team VS one (such as Toronto) that has their blindfolds on 24/7. They think that whatever their team does is the ultimate in genius and get dissapointed year in and year out. LET other fanbases and teams "think" that the Bruins are done, let Bruins fans "think" that they're done. That's okay, do as the B's do and accomplish the playoffs and the finals here and there (maybe a Cup) and watch Toronto fans lose their minds on an annual basis. It's fun!

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Given the ages of the core players, the wear and tear of the playoffs, and the short offseason, is the Bruins missing the playoffs next year such an outrageous proposition? I'm not saying that they *will*, but to me it seems as likely as them getting to the Cup final again, if not more so.
I have them starting slow and winning it all

Wrong guy to question about missing playoffs

Reactions: b in vancouver

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I have them starting slow and winning it all

Wrong guy to question about missing playoffs

Well, just to reiterate, I'm not saying that they will miss, just that as the core players age the probability that the team performance suffers as a result increases. I ain't gonna complain if they win it all next year and you get to gloat about calling it. :DD

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well, just to reiterate, I'm not saying that they will miss, just that as the core players age the probability that the team performance suffers as a result increases. I ain't gonna complain if they win it all next year and you get to gloat about calling it. :DD
Safe to say the core might drop off a little - most of them had career best production last year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Positional Pie they grade out no worse then top 10 out of 31 teams

The age thing is a myth because of Chara

GOAL: Rask & Halek

Easily top 10 going into season - you could argue well they are 1. But keeping it simple to 10.

DEFENSE: NHL(9)/AHL

Ages as of last day of 2019 season

Chara(42), Krug (27), McAvoy(21), Carlo(22), Grzelcyk (25), Moore(28), Miller(31), Clifton(23), Kampfer (30)

Lauzon(22), Zboril (22), Vaakanainen 20)

Note: the lineup that wiped Carolina off the map in game 4 elimination game on road was ages 21-28

The 3 kids in AHL appeared in NHL last season

That is 12 Defenseman who played for Boston last season. Nine of them between ages 20-28

Former GM/coach Doug MacLean and current hockey sportscaster said during playoffs Bruins organizational defense was best in league

CENTERS

Bergeron & Krejci will play 2019-20 at ages 33 and 34 (Bergeron turns 34 later this month)

Coyle (27) & Kuraly (26) form a big 200 foot bottom 6 center duo that can lessen the burden on 37 & 46.

Behind them in Providence are top prospects Trent Frederic (21) & Jack Studnicka (20) both 6’2”+ with strong defensive game

Top 10

WINGERS

Top two lines have THREE guys who scored atleast 27 goals prorated to at least 33 goals over an 82 season Including a 100 point player in Marchand and a Pastrnak who prorated to 49.

All were hurt in the playoffs

The rest is solid - a good mix of young players, prospects

This area is really a top 4 issue

The Blues (remember them?) top was ~ Tarasenko, Schwartz & Perron. Not close to all things equal with Bruins. Their 4th guy was Sammy Blais who basically runs around

Top 10

I could argue top 5 on all four areas

Old? No

Last edited:

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Positional Pie they grade out no worse then top 10 out of 31 teams

The age thing is a myth because of Chara

GOAL: Rask & Halek

Easily top 10 going into season - you could argue well they are 1. But keeping it simple to 10.

DEFENSE: NHL(9)/AHL

Ages as of last day of 2019 season

Chara(42), Krug (27), McAvoy(21), Carlo(22), Grzelcyk (25), Moore(28), Miller(31), Clifton(23), Kampfer (30)

Lauzon(22), Zboril (22), Vaakanainen 20)

Note: the lineup that wiped Carolina off the map in game 4 elimination game on road was ages 21-28

The 3 kids in AHL appeared in NHL last season

That is 12 Defenseman who played for Boston last season. Nine of them between ages 20-28

Former GM/coach Doug MacLean and current hockey sportscaster said during playoffs Bruins organizational defense was best in league

CENTERS

Bergeron & Krejci will play 2019-20 at ages 33 and 34 (Bergeron turns 34 later this month)

Coyle (27) & Kuraly (26) form a big 200 foot bottom 6 center duo that can lessen the burden on 37 & 46.

Behind them in Providence are top prospects Trent Frederic (21) & Jack Studnicka (20) both 6’2”+ with strong defensive game

Top 10

WINGERS

Top two lines have THREE guys who scored atleast 27 goals prorated to at least 33 goals over an 82 season Including a 100 point player in Marchand and a Pastrnak who prorated to 49.

All were hurt in the playoffs

The rest is solid - a good mix of young players, prospects

This area is really a top 4 issue

The Blues (remember them?) top was ~ Tarasenko, Schwartz & Perron. Not close to all things equal with Bruins. Their 4th guy was Sammy Blais who basically runs around

Top 10

I could argue top 5 on all four areas

Old? No
Yes, 33 and 34 is old in hockey terms. I'm not saying that Bergeron and Krejci will fall off a cliff next season, I'm just saying it grows increasingly likely every year. Chara being a freak and and outlier doesn't make the very real aging curve a "myth". Rask and Halak are also both up there as well. The best hope, aside from lucking out and not having any of those guys see any kind of decline, is that some of the younger guys are entering their peak ages of production and that their ascension up the aging curve can offset any declines from the older players.

That may happen, I'm just saying that it's probably not ideal for that to be the plan. That's all.

Reactions: Lo97

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Yes, 33 and 34 is old in hockey terms. I'm not saying that Bergeron and Krejci will fall off a cliff next season, I'm just saying it grows increasingly likely every year. Chara being a freak and and outlier doesn't make the very real aging curve a "myth". Rask and Halak are also both up there as well. The best hope, aside from lucking out and not having any of those guys see any kind of decline, is that some of the younger guys are entering their peak ages of production and that their ascension up the aging curve can offset any declines from the older players.

That may happen, I'm just saying that it's probably not ideal for that to be the plan. That's all.
I think Bergeron will be a contributor when he is 40 on this team. Krejci could be too. Speed has never been a major asset to either one. Position, smarts, vision those are things that allow a player to play to 40. Will a 40 year old Bergeron be as good as a 30 year old Bergeron probably not... but could a 40 year old Bergeron contribute as much or more than mark recchi in 2011, and win a cup... yup!

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think Bergeron will be a contributor when he is 40 on this team. Krejci could be too. Speed has never been a major asset to either one. Position, smarts, vision those are things that allow a player to play to 40. Will a 40 year old Bergeron be as good as a 30 year old Bergeron probably not... but could a 40 year old Bergeron contribute as much or more than mark recchi in 2011, and win a cup... yup!
I would agree that those two especially seem to be the types that could have success well in to their late 30s.

However I’d like to see them taking on less responsibility as the seasons grow older. It seems like every year they are banged up going in to the playoffs.

Let Coyle centre the first line here and there. Let Heinen (if he’s sticking around) kill penalties. If Studnicka/Frederick make the team stick them on the pp right away.

All of those depend upon if they’re winning that night obviously. But it would seem they’ll be making few big changes this offseason so protect Bergeron/Krejci as well as you can going forward.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

Maybe and if that's the case, I'll be the last person complaining! But there's a lot more to the aging curve than just raw foot speed. Mental acuity falters as well. I know it sounds crazy but if you think about how much faster the game is getting, if you're a guy who already relies on your positioning and reaction times instead of your speed, if your reaction times are getting slower and the game around you is speeding up...

All I'm saying is that I think it would be prudent for the Bruins to have a contingency plan if Bergeron and Krejci see a serious drop off. Don't put all your eggs in the basket of both of your top six centers who are 33+ to perform at that level in both the immediate and longterm (obviously) future. If they do, great! Chalk it up to a freebie. But if they don't, you don't want to be caught holding the bag, forcing Coyle and Kuraly to play in roles they're not suited for.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
All I'm saying is that I think it would be prudent for the Bruins to have a contingency plan if Bergeron and Krejci see a serious drop off.
Part 1 - plan for Chara sunset. Hit on McAvoy, Carlo, some misses, some TBD.
Part 2 - plan for Bergy/Krejci sunset. Add 3C with upside potential (Coyle). Draft Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher in rounds 1-2 (3 out of last 7 high picks). Re-sign Coyle. Still lots of questions here because we're not that close to sunset date. This is a big year for Studnicka, Frederic, and Hughes.

Yes, it would be nice to pull off a killer trade to add a top talent. But first identify, draft, and retain.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Part 1 - plan for Chara sunset. Hit on McAvoy, Carlo, some misses, some TBD.
Part 2 - plan for Bergy/Krejci sunset. Add 3C with upside potential (Coyle). Draft Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher in rounds 1-2 (3 out of last 7 high picks). Re-sign Coyle. Still lots of questions here because we're not that close to sunset date. This is a big year for Studnicka, Frederic, and Hughes.

Yes, it would be nice to pull off a killer trade to add a top talent. But first identify, draft, and retain.

I guess it depends on where you see the ceiling for their center prospects. I know people are high on Studnicka but I'm not sure he's the slam dunk top six guy people see him as. Hope I'm wrong. I just also would have liked them to have replacements for Bergeron and Krejci already groomed and ready to move up if need be by now.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Sorry I been reading twitter and every day the Bruins get worse and worse.

Many have them out of the playoffs already and trending to the the single digit lottery

And this if just the Bruins fans

Other fan bases think Chara is their only defenseman and Bergeron their only forward - and proclaim they are old and done

Had really hoped we'd see a couple months of grace before people started chiming in how they have to tear the whole team down, rebuild, tank, make wholesale changes but... nope.
I'm finding too many fans nowadays, leaguewide, have morphed into these all or nothing arm-chair GMs that have reality stuck on ffwd because everything is about how it's going to work in three years or whatever instead of actually enjoying the team on the ice.
It can be fun to talk about but ...

not that long ago people figured the Bruins defence would be toast by now - after trading Hamilton, Boychk, Seids aging out, that Chara would be retired, that they had no one coming along in the system, and couldn't imagine a defence without those guys. How's it look now? They have one of the best young defensive cores in the league.
People didn't think the team could survive losing Marc Savard, Horton, Seguin, Lucic, Iginla, R. Smith, etc. up front or replace the Merlot Line and, although there are questions about the forwards going into the season and eventually some decisions will have to be made, this team just came 2nd in the regular season and Game 7 of The Finals, and us fans got to see them win more games this year than any other team in the league while playing an up-tempo style of hockey.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I'm not concerned with Krejci and Bergeron playing out their contracts at a high-end level. They'll be 35 and 36 or something when those are done and that's not brutal for top-flight centres - so that gives you 2-3 years at least before it becomes a major issue. It also gives you the leeway to let kids develop longer before forcing them into the line-up. It's a pretty good plan.

There is also free agency. Boston has become a more attractive destination for free agents over the past decade+ and if Krejci does decide to hang them up after two years or they move from him or him or Bergeron have lost too many steps then I'm really not overly concerned with them finding someone. Ideally they'd already have a Tavares or Duchene whom was chomping at the bit to be That Guy but they do have one of the deepest rosters/organizations in the league despite not bottoming out for top picks or trading everyone away.

We all know it's going to suck when Bergeron just isn't Bergeron anymore or retires, the same as it was for The Chief, Nifty, Cam, Muzz, Axe, and every other beloved Bruins but it's still far enough away that it becomes borrowing headaches.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I'm not concerned with Krejci and Bergeron playing out their contracts at a high-end level. They'll be 35 and 36 or something when those are done and that's not brutal for top-flight centres - so that gives you 2-3 years at least before it becomes a major issue. It also gives you the leeway to let kids develop longer before forcing them into the line-up. It's a pretty good plan.

There is also free agency. Boston has become a more attractive destination for free agents over the past decade+ and if Krejci does decide to hang them up after two years or they move from him or him or Bergeron have lost too many steps then I'm really not overly concerned with them finding someone. Ideally they'd already have a Tavares or Duchene whom was chomping at the bit to be That Guy but they do have one of the deepest rosters/organizations in the league despite not bottoming out for top picks or trading everyone away.

We all know it's going to suck when Bergeron just isn't Bergeron anymore or retires, the same as it was for The Chief, Nifty, Cam, Muzz, Axe, and every other beloved Bruins but it's still far enough away that it becomes borrowing headaches.

Free agency should be for filling out depth and the "Final Piece" with the understanding that you're only likely to get a few years at most of the player meeting or exceeding the value of their contract. You're not likely to get a legitimate difference-maker who can play 1 or 2C in free agency. And even if you could, all you're doing is kicking the aging curve problem down the road slightly...and giving yourself a problematic contract at the end that you'll need to ship out.
Free agency should be the last resort to address roster needs.

And *you* may not be concerned about Bergy and Krejci's level of play, but every year past 32 that they don't see a serious decline should be seen as a huge gift. When gets fall off, they fall off hard. It's very rarely a slow, gradual decline.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad