Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Based solely on the numbers, I wouldn't think that much would need to be added to Backes in a trade for Zack Smith, assuming it was done after July 1. Ottawa would be saving $1.5 million in real dollars at a cost of $2.75 million in cap. Ottawa's not competing next year, so it's not like the cap matters to them, and they get to save money, which is what Melnyk cares about the most.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You trade trash for someone else's trash. Hope for the best. Lots of teams have cap problems. Donny needs to be creative. Backes experiment over. I'm even willing to take lucic or Eriksson back. Backes is done like dinner.

No. You cannot go near Lucic ever with the need to protect him in the expansion draft. No. Never.

Eriksson is worse than Backes; trust me. Backes was still effective for large chunks of the playoffs playing a physical brand of hockey and leading in the dressing room. Eriksson has been checked out for years and has lost all interest in playing hockey with any intensity or commitment.

Both have more years than Backes. Backes is the best of the three and if you can package some prospects and picks to move him (not your 1st in 2020) then it may allow for some movement and free agent hunting but right now Backes holds the only card that matters; NTC.

If LA could sweeten the deal a little I'd be interested in Carter for Backes but that is also a risk with term left.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why are we even talking about Perry

I’m reading DuPont saying Krug getting $8.5 per m

I’m reading McAvoy & Carlo $12 M combined

Bruins they say are in one of better spots

The League is messed up

Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Or he had the surgery that corrected the issue and has had a full year+ of rehab and is ready to contribute beside Coyle in a powerful 3rd line role.

He wouldn't be my first choice for the job, but on an incentive- built 1 year contract with a minimal cap hit like Dom laid out wouldn't be the worst thing the team could do.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Perry is a fine option for short money and bonus'. Even if he can't play 2RW he is more than capable of being a nuisance and being on the second unit power play. Still big, still chippy and still wants to win. Well worth the gamble.

Also before the fans of all prospects, all the time start, there is not a RW prospect in the system ready to step in and make the contribution Perry would make. Senyshyn's 14 goals in the AHL doesn't translate to well to the NHL.

This.

People were typing the same things about Eric Staal in Minnesota; Selanne after Colorado.

But people are silent when they talk Bergeron (my favourite all time player) and his injury history. It's going to catch up with Patrice and he is the same age as these 'washed up' guys like Perry, Carter, etc.

I'd love an off-season that brought in a Carter/Perry on the cheap for the 3rd line and then took a gamble on an RFA RW for the 2nd line. Don't need an offersheet but rather moving one of the glut of NHL ready defenseman for a guy who needs a fresh start in Boston.

Marchand - Bergeron - XXX/Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak/XXX
Heinen - Coyle - Perry/Carter

Studnicka and Senyshyn fight Heinen for his spot. Kulhman as well. I love the current D with only two over 30 and the future in net looks promising as well.

It's that damn hole in the top 6 the last four years that has rightfully labelled the Bruins a one-line team. A great one with a third line that contributes much more than most, but game 7 still stings and will for years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

The League is messed up

Because he would likely come cheap and and short-term and why not? If the team is going to throw a $1 million deal at players like Nordstrom, why not the same with Perry with incentives to hit if he still has something left?

Of course the league is messed up, but it will self-correct as it is not a sustainable model going forward. There will be a point where teams collectively stop giving insane contracts predicated on the idea that "so and so got that much!" They won't be able to. Otherwise we get a league where each team as 5-6 really good or great players and then a bunch of scrubs. That will be fun to watch.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

The League is messed up

Perry is a minimal risk (cap-wise) high reward. You outlined it yourself with the cap crunch. Bruins need to explore cheaper options (older guys or young RFA's both looking to prove themselves in a one year contract) as a result of what you're posting.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Because he would likely come cheap and and short-term and why not? If the team is going to throw a $1 million deal at players like Nordstrom, why not the same with Perry with incentives to hit if he still has something left?

Of course the league is messed up, but it will self-correct as it is not a sustainable model going forward. There will be a point where teams collectively stop giving insane contracts predicated on the idea that "so and so got that much!" They won't be able to. Otherwise we get a league where each team as 5-6 really good or great players and then a bunch of scrubs. That will be fun to watch.

I think that is the way this is heading. Top end guys will get huge contracts but middle of the road/JAGs will get nothing. The outlier contracts will be the Kevin Hayes contracts, middle 6 guys making 7M plus. That I can't see continuing.

Toronto may be what teams will look like going forward 4/5 guys near top dollar and holes all over the roster.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Based solely on the numbers, I wouldn't think that much would need to be added to Backes in a trade for Zack Smith, assuming it was done after July 1. Ottawa would be saving $1.5 million in real dollars at a cost of $2.75 million in cap. Ottawa's not competing next year, so it's not like the cap matters to them, and they get to save money, which is what Melnyk cares about the most.
And David Backes agrees to this why?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Perry is a minimal risk (cap-wise) high reward. You outlined it yourself with the cap crunch. Bruins need to explore cheaper options (older guys or young RFA's both looking to prove themselves in a one year contract) as a result of what you're posting.
I get it

Just insane realizing that the Leafs are so hosed

In retrospect they should not have signed Marleau or Taveras and they would have been fine

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I get it

In retrospect they should not have signed Marleau or Taveras and they would have been fine

Exactly. I am glad to see that they are fighting tooth and nail to keep that forward group together while more of their D depart (Zaitsev and Gardiner will be gone with no replacements, possibly Hainsey as well).

For me as a Bruins fan the idea of a Leafs D worse than last years by a fair margin makes me feel good going into the annual first round battle.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I get it

Marleau is the one that will kill them. "Solving" it by giving up a first+ is not the way to run an organization.

Reactions: DKH

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The other trade I am pushing for is the one that I hear about every day here; Jake Virtanen.

15 goals in 70 games last year.
$1,250,000 cap hit.
Glut of forwards in Vancouver and Benning knows all the Bruins D prospects.
Vancouver desperately needs defensemen.

If you can move one of the LHD for him that are NHL ready (Lauzon or Zboril) and a sweetener I do it and don't look back. He could be the 3rd line RW or (like everyone here knows and fears in Vancouver) have a new change of scenery and put up 25 goals with his speed.

Again, a cheaper gamble that has high reward / low risk because at worst he is your 3rd line RW and perhaps putting him with Marchand and Bergeron will spark the missing elements of his game. We can never sell short the ability of this team to coach players to play a complete game.

He is seen as the one trade chip that they have out here to address the D problem and Boston has a glut that Benning is well-aware of.

Hell, go outside of the box and move Zboril+Khokhlachev for Virtanen and the Canucks get two new players while the Bruins get their RW 'show me' contract RFA.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

The League is messed up

Another good thing about Krug being the year after is that the money (almost 3 million) being tied up in the Seidenberg buyout and Beleskey retention is jsut going to Krug. Think of it as Krug's 5.25 is going to go to 8.25 by simply taking the Seidenberg and Beleskey money and giving it to Krug. No cap space change for the Bruins at all.

Helps me feel better about his raise.

2018-2019: Krug + Beleskey + Seidenberg = $8.25 Million
2019-2020: Krug + Beleskey + Seidenberg = $8.25 Million
2020-2021: Krug = $8.25 Million

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
To be clear, the fans love 'Shotgun Jake' in Vancouver but also know that he is the one piece that they can move outside of the core (Boeser, Virtanan, Horvat and Pettersson) to get help on the D.

What better way than moving him for another NHL ready RFA defenseman from a franchise that has a glut of them and your manager previously worked for?

The J.T. Miller move all but forced Jake down to the third line in Vancouver and now the Rogers and TSN radio are all talking about how he should be the piece moved to get the help on D.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He can either accept the trade, or spend the year riding the bus down in Providence. Which do you think he'd prefer?
Playing in the AHL in Providence he is still paying US/Mass taxes not Ontario taxes which would take 10% of his salary.

On a professional level given the choice between playing in Providence and maybe playing in the finals again after rosters expand and cap isn't counted he ain't going to Melnyk's horror show,

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The other trade I am pushing for is the one that I hear about every day here; Jake Virtanen.

15 goals in 70 games last year.
$1,250,000 cap hit.
Glut of forwards in Vancouver and Benning knows all the Bruins D prospects.
Vancouver desperately needs defensemen.

If you can move one of the LHD for him that are NHL ready (Lauzon or Zboril) and a sweetener I do it and don't look back. He could be the 3rd line RW or (like everyone here knows and fears in Vancouver) have a new change of scenery and put up 25 goals with his speed.

Again, a cheaper gamble that has high reward / low risk because at worst he is your 3rd line RW and perhaps putting him with Marchand and Bergeron will spark the missing elements of his game. We can never sell short the ability of this team to coach players to play a complete game.

He is seen as the one trade chip that they have out here to address the D problem and Boston has a glut that Benning is well-aware of.

Hell, go outside of the box and move Zboril+Khokhlachev for Virtanen and the Canucks get two new players while the Bruins get their RW 'show me' contract RFA.
Always like Virtanen, speed, good hitter, goes to the net, all the ingredients you look for in a bottom six winger. At worst he becomes a wing version of Kuraly with more offensive upside.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Always like Virtanen, speed, good hitter, goes to the net, all the ingredients you look for in a bottom six winger. At worst he becomes a wing version of Kuraly with more offensive upside.

Currently at worst, he is a 15 goal scoring RW on a $1,250,000 cap hit with speed and on a lottery team. Put him on a Stanley Cup finalist team with a Jack Adams coach and a couple HHOF players with a guy like DeBrusk to mirror and you could have a great 'Two Jake's' line.

Reactions: Fenian24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad