Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Canes bailed out Toronto. It's almost like they don't know that Toronto is competition and that they just helped them afford to sign Marner. It's going to be a very late 1st.

Exactly. Carolina should have demanded Kapanen or Johnsson instead of the first-round pick. The Leafs caught a break in that deal.

Reactions: Strafer and compan

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don't see how the Leafs caught a break.

After the reported extensions for Kapanen and Johnsson, they still don't have the space to sign Marner and actually fix their roster even with Marleau gone. They also cannot trade their 2020, or 2021 first as CAR owns it until conditions are met.

So still not enough room, and can't improve the roster with a first rounder until at least next offseason. Say goodbye to multiple seconds and thirds Dubas.

Toronto will only catch a break if a team decides to take on Zaitsev.

Reactions: Strafer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't see how the Leafs caught a break.

After the reported extensions for Kapanen and Johnsson, they still don't have the space to sign Marner and actually fix their roster even with Marleau gone. They also cannot trade their 2020, or 2021 first as CAR owns it until conditions are met.

So still not enough room, and can't improve the roster with a first rounder until at least next offseason. Say goodbye to multiple seconds and thirds Dubas.

Toronto will only catch a break if a team decides to take on Zaitsev.

Or Kadri

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good discussion on the main board about Backes going to Ottawa. I'm sure it's not David's top choice but it beats Providence and Ottawa needs to reach the cap floor, high cap/low salary ideally.

The pieces being discussed in the swap are Zboril (Jr teammate of Chabot), Lauzon (WJC partner) and Senyshyn (Ottawa native). Not all three but some combination with Lauzon holding the most value. I'd be very happy with that kind of deal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good discussion on the main board about Backes going to Ottawa. I'm sure it's not David's top choice but it beats Providence and Ottawa needs to reach the cap floor, high cap/low salary ideally.

The pieces being discussed in the swap are Zboril (Jr teammate of Chabot), Lauzon (WJC partner) and Senyshyn (Ottawa native). Not all three but some combination with Lauzon holding the most value. I'd be very happy with that kind of deal.
was a return to Boston discussed?

Reactions: Alicat

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville

Would hate to lose Lauzon just to get rid of Backes. He also has a big mountain to climb with our defensive depth unfortunately. Zboril too. But if it means we can solidify that 2nd line and sign our RFAs... you have to do it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I've been pounding the Backes to OTT train for a year now.

It makes the most sense out of any of the teams that are under the floor.

Ideally I don't give up Lauzon in that deal, I'd much prefer Zboril, but if it means shedding ALL of Backes cap for the next two seasons, you have to do it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Canes bailed out Toronto. It's almost like they don't know that Toronto is competition and that they just helped them afford to sign Marner. It's going to be a very late 1st.
They have $13M in cap space with 9F and 5D signed. They still need to sign Kapanen and Johansson. As bad as Gardiner is defensively, they will be losing an offensive defenseman that can score 30+pts. They can deal Zaitsev for $4M+ and if they are lucky and someone takes on that full contract, they will be down to three top 4 defenseman, one of which, Dermott, may be out until November at best. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: Strafer and JRull86

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Is this just fans talking or is it more then that?:popcorn:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
See it's already being discussed in other thread, but I really like the basis of David Backes for Zack Smith straight up....then both get bought out by the other team (after July 1)? I remember them dangling Smith on waivers hoping some poor fool would make a claim. Doubt they are looking forward to paying him $6.5M over the next two years.

Buyout on Zack Smith is $1.1M for four years (actual dollars). $4.4M total. Cap hit of $1.1M for all four years.

Buyout on David Backes is $667k for four years (actual dollars). $2.667M total. Cap hit of $5.7M, $3.7M, $667k, and $667k.

Ottawa would get what they want. Big cap hit next two years to stay above cap floor and save almost $2M in actual dollars over the next two years. Bruins get almost $5M in cap space this year and next to improve roster.

Win win. And they wouldn't have to attach big a asset to rid themselves of the contract (or most of it).

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I like the idea of adding Smith, he could skate third line left wing with Coyle, and whoever fills the right wing spot. Gives us another decent sized forward that hits.

Maybe a good 'hockey' trade moving Krug for a winger with a year left would help too. Kreider, Schenn, Toffolli, they all fit that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad