Boston Bruins All Bruins Free Agent/Trade Rumours and Proposals III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would not mind Nash re-upping for 2 years at a decent contract. I assume he wants his retirement package though around 3 or 4 years and it may be too much money/term. As for the other options, I still feel they are pricy, lets see if Donato, Bjork or Cehlarik can win a wing spot till Nash decides. We may at that point not need him.

I think Moore fills a need for the present and a few years. If things are not working out, we still have the extra defense men, extra prospects and add in a pick to make a trade, no need to panic. Rather see what we have in house before adding another older guy. Gotta do something about this log jam and get the kids exposed one way or the other.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Rick Nash says that's not what we need more of.

Say what you want about him, he's probably the best net front prescence guy I've seen in a spoked B since Knuble.

We need people who have the talent to put the puck in the net, and not in the crest in a tight playoff game when you might only get a small handful of chances to score.
Ya he was good at it. Again though the concussion problems are worrisome.

JVR would’ve been good too if he played any other role than that. And his contract wasn’t ludicrous which everyone knew was going to be.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Boston lost because they didn't get enough scoring support from lines after 1, Skinner can be a +30 goal scorer in his prime who would exactly add that.

Yet they should rather target a declining Lucic to add toughness? Makes no sense, Lucic doesn't make this team better or solve the secondary scoring issue certainly.

Skinner and injuries.
17-18 season 82 games
16-17 season 79 games
15-16 season 82 games
14-15 season 77 games.

I believe @Dom - OHL said in the podcast something to that effect. If Rick Nash comes back, Don has first dibs to sign him. Otherwise he will go elsewhere.

If he comes back is he 100% motivated/hungry?

Him thinking retirement isn't a + for me.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would not mind Nash re-upping for 2 years at a decent contract. I assume he wants his retirement package though around 3 or 4 years and it may be too much money/term. As for the other options, I still feel they are pricy, lets see if Donato, Bjork or Cehlarik can win a wing spot till Nash decides. We may at that point not need him.

This is where I'm at, but no way on a 2 year deal at this point. To start, two things need to be hashed out:

1.) Rick Nash is hungry and motivated to play hockey
2.) Rick Nash is cool with a one year deal

Obviously if he's considering retirement, but decides he wants to play, I'd like to think it's due to a motivation to continue playing. But no multi-year deals. It'd be 1Y and short money. However, I'd only want him if we do give the kids a look and it doesn't work out for whatever the reason (not ready, injuries). And this would be null and void if Boston was to acquire a legit T6RW.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Skinner would be nice, but if the price is something like Heinen+, in my opinion, the Bruins would be better off playing Heinen in the top 6 and get the same production, around 60pts, with a cheaper cap hit. Bruins should go big or go home in the trade market. The Bruins should go after someone like Panarin, and if Panarin, or a similar player of that caliber, isn't available, roll with what you have.

Reactions: Strafer and Dizzay

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Boston lost because they didn't get enough scoring support from lines after 1, Skinner can be a +30 goal scorer in his prime who would exactly add that.

Yet they should rather target a declining Lucic to add toughness? Makes no sense, Lucic doesn't make this team better or solve the secondary scoring issue certainly.

Skinner and injuries.
17-18 season 82 games
16-17 season 79 games
15-16 season 82 games
14-15 season 77 games.

This isn't Chara contemplating retirement.

This is a guy, taking time to speak with his family, doctor, about potential health issues should he return and get another concussion.

If Rick Nash is not 100% healthy, He is not coming back. And if he, his family and his medical people feel the risk is minimal, then they will consider those risks.

This is a guy that told teams that he wasn't signing at free agent frenzy or shortly thereafter. He could have been like most and taken the money and run. He didn't. He will not return if he doesn't think he can give 100% effort.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This isn't Chara contemplating retirement.

This is a guy, taking time to speak with his family, doctor, about potential health issues should he return and get another concussion.

If Rick Nash is not 100% healthy, He is not coming back. And if he, his family and his medical people feel the risk is minimal, then they will consider those risks.

This is a guy that told teams that he wasn't signing at free agent frenzy or shortly thereafter. He could have been like most and taken the money and run. He didn't. He will not return if he doesn't think he can give 100% effort.

I respect his decision to not go for the max amount of money no matter what, but this still leaves me wondering is he an upgrade over Heinen for example considering everything, and how you place Donato/DeBrusk/Heinen into the lineup with Nash in the lineup.

Reactions: nfld77

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I respect his decision to not go for the max amount of money no matter what, but this still leaves me wondering is he an upgrade over Heinen for example considering everything, and how you place Donato/DeBrusk/Heinen into the lineup with Nash in the lineup.
Based on past experience don’t worry about it. Boston never enters the playoffs fully healthy.

There will be lots of room for him

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Based on past experience don’t worry about it. Boston never enters the playoffs fully healthy.

There will be lots of room for him

There will be injuries at the playoffs but the kids need to play, Donato/Heinen/DeBrusk are too good for AHL, Bjork can start there due to the injury, or get traded.

1 option could be
Donato/Heinen- Backes- Nash 3rd line but what are the odds we could see that?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

You moved the goalposts.

This is what I responded to : "Him thinking retirement isn't a + for me."

No mention of "is he an upgrade?" or I never would have wasted my time replying.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You moved the goalposts.

This is what I responded to : "Him thinking retirement isn't a + for me."

No mention of "is he an upgrade?" or I never would have wasted my time replying.

I respect his decision but don't still consider it as a + for re-signing him. One can make the arguments for re-signing him but I wouldn't use that one as one.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Panarin is an elite talent. Plans change when a player of his caliber hits the market. You say we already have a Panarin in Pastrnak.

Why not have 2 elite offensive talents? When you spend cap, you spend it on the elite players. Then you backfill. There's always a veteran that will take a 1 year show me deal that you can plug in the bottom 6.

And if you draft well, you have kids on ELCs to fill in the bottom 6 with.

Panarin is worth it.

Your post makes perfect sense to me. Would be a great boost if we could get rid of Backes 6 mil/yr contract. He still brings alot and his numbers were what you would expect from a 3rd liner, unfortunately too costly for a 3rd liner.

I watched Panarin alot his 2 seasons in the Windy City, a little when he went to Columbus. . Without a doubt he's an elite player as you stated. He makes 6 million this season and is an UFA 2019-20. IF we were to trade for him, having him signed longterm of course is what decides on what you send to Columbus. I would imagine Krug is a good starter and go from there.

Would you agree to play GM?? what goes other way and can we get him signed 1st.

Love your posts. You are very knowlegable of our great sport as is many here. All I really meant about Debrusk is, we have lots of trade pieces and I would love if we could keep him. Hey, a great linemate for both.. Cheers and I look forward to many hockey chats with you sir.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
There will be injuries at the playoffs but the kids need to play, Donato/Heinen/DeBrusk are too good for AHL, Bjork can start there due to the injury, or get traded.

1 option could be
Donato/Heinen- Backes- Nash 3rd line but what are the odds we could see that?
What has Donato shown to indicate he is too good for the AHL? He was a good player in an Olympics that the men's hockey tournament was the equivalent of the Spengler cup and has less than 20 games regular season and playoff experience.

I get, I dont agree, but i get the desire to let the kids play and fail or succeed. Having a backup plan is a pretty good idea, one that involves a short term contract on a 15 to 18 goal veteran being signed or dealt for before training camp starts in case the super prospects dont all pan out and Donato winds up centering Senyshyn or Bjork in Providence.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Love your posts. You are very knowlegable of our great sport

Go on....

200w.gif

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What has Donato shown to indicate he is too good for the AHL? He was a good player in an Olympics that the men's hockey tournament was the equivalent of the Spengler cup and has less than 20 games regular season and playoff experience.

I get, I dont agree, but i get the desire to let the kids play and fail or succeed. Having a backup plan is a pretty good idea, one that involves a short term contract on a 15 to 18 goal veteran being signed or dealt for before training camp starts in case the super prospects dont all pan out and Donato winds up centering Senyshyn or Bjork in Providence.

Right now I'd have Heinen on that 2nd line Rw spot which leaves with the question is Nash an upgrade over him on that role. Donato would be the favourite for the 3rd line role, and he seemed more than NHL ready during his time in the NHL this past season, I feel he needs NHL games to develop as much as possible.
I'd like to get a impact top6 winger in his prime for that role but what are the odds.

But with Nash
DeBrusk- Krejci- Heinen
Donato- Backes- Nash
could it work, or would they push another kid with Bjork elsewhere?

Rather sign Nash for free than give up assets around the trade deadline to aquire the exact same kind of guy.

I would hope Sweeney won't go for a similar deal at the next deadline, but right now I'd be looking at better options than Nash type player for 2nd line, longterm options.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I have a feeling zboril fate will be like Linus Andersson. All hype and poof . I cant see him breaking in anyway with moore now on board and vak knocking on the door .Whynot trade him with some package and get Bennett or skinner. Maybe we can fool a GM and take him. Get something.

Reactions: Fenian24

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland

Skinner and injuries.
17-18 season 82 games
16-17 season 79 games
15-16 season 82 games
14-15 season 77 games.

Personally I think what the Bruins need to consider is this: Is the salary they were to give Nash better served going toward a younger not so injury prone player. Check out Nash's offensive #'s past few seasons. I think Bruins have enough veterans and EVEN if they signed Nash and he had a good season, what will he have left in the tank come April. Only my opinion but every vibe in my body says DO NOT SIGN RICK NASH. We have Backes now thats being paid 6 mil as a 3rd line player. Get someone who can REALLY help DK..I do like Skinner.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

So the 9 points in 15 games didn't happen for Donato? Last week it was Bjork,this week its Donato..

Team finished with 5 full time rookies on the roster ,6 if you count Donato and would have had a 7th if Bjork didn't get his head caved in. Team finished with 112 points so I dont think they need a journeyman that puts up 12 goals.thankfully those days are behind us.The template is there for all to see,add youth when they're ready,I get it ,Sweeney's plan makes you uncomfortable but thus far the "super prospects" have done pretty damn well and the best part is the second wave is coming,may not be this year but it's coming (including the ones you like).

Now I'm perfectly fine if Bjork or Donato end up in Providence and ride the bus to Rochester , when you think of all the high end, high maintenance types we had here over last 10 years or so none of them spent any real time in Providence, Seguin, Kessel,Hamilton, Wheeler ,ill even throw Lucic in there, all of them had on ice or off ice issues,3 games in 3 nights, long road trips on a stinky bus,that kind of stuff might have worked wonders ,we'll never know

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
So the 9 points in 15 games didn't happen for Donato? Last week it was Bjork,this week its Donato..

Team finished with 5 full time rookies on the roster ,6 if you count Donato and would have had a 7th if Bjork didn't get his head caved in. Team finished with 112 points so I dont think they need a journeyman that puts up 12 goals.thankfully those days are behind us.The template is there for all to see,add youth when they're ready,I get it ,Sweeney's plan makes you uncomfortable but thus far the "super prospects" have done pretty damn well and the best part is the second wave is coming,may not be this year but it's coming (including the ones you like).

Now I'm perfectly fine if Bjork or Donato end up in Providence and ride the bus to Rochester , when you think of all the high end, high maintenance types we had here over last 10 years or so none of them spent any real time in Providence, Seguin, Kessel,Hamilton, Wheeler ,ill even throw Lucic in there, all of them had on ice or off ice issues,3 games in 3 nights, long road trips on a stinky bus,that kind of stuff might have worked wonders ,we'll never know

Donato sure as hell was ready when he finished college and played 12 games scoring 5 goals 4 assists with the Bruins late last season. I'll be SHOCKED if he's not in opening night lineup.

Ryan is 22, not 18. in fact, he's a few months older than Pastrnak. If he's put in the right position, he's capable of scoring 25 this season, and here's how: We all love Bergy but he also get our 2 most offensive weapons. Bergeron sees the ice so damn well, he DONT NEED our 2 top scorers. SO, let's say no more trades, How about giving Krejci his fellow countryman:

Marchand-Bergeron-Donato
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Backes-Studnicka
Nordstron-Kuraly-Wagner

Donato's game inside his own blueline needs improving. WHO better than being on the same line with the best defensive forward this game has ever known?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have a feeling zboril fate will be like Linus Andersson. All hype and poof . I cant see him breaking in anyway with moore now on board and vak knocking on the door .Whynot trade him with some package and get Bennett or skinner. Maybe we can fool a GM and take him. Get something.

Why don’t you get to work on this. You seem like just the man for the job.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Go on....

200w.gif

I take back my compliment to you..I was only trying to make you feel better about yourself. Cause actually you really dont know much about the Bruins. Maybe you should start all over again. Go on, pick a new team... Ok ok, I'll even pick one for you. Your new team is the Montreal Canadians.. Learn all about their prospects, nhl ready players, you know, all that stuff..

BLAHHHHhhhhhhhh, brother I really need season to begin and it's only JULY.. Haha, picking the Habs was absolute punishment for us Bruin fans..Haha I'll take that part back and give youTBL...Scout them well, need all the help we can get..

Midsummer, just for laughs needless to say.. I know you're a good sport, being a Boston Bruin fan is enough proof for me..

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Why don’t you get to work on this. You seem like just the man for the job.

I had to miss something that was posted earlier. No way in hell would any decent Bruin fan give up on a prospect like defenceman Jacob Zboril after one season in the A. We sure as hell didnt give up on Matt Grez or DeBrusk thank God!!!

Reactions: Saxon Eric
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->