Boxing: All boxing discussion

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Second-hand embarrasment. If i had to describe this event with one word, that would be it.

-I lost all of the little respect i had for De La Hoya, awful behaviour
- The tiktok sisters looked so lost, i feel bad for them for all the hate they’re gonna get
-Snoop Dogg is getting so played out, no hate but he has been doing this excact same shit for decades on every platform, it’s been done.
-Pete Davidson is a f*cking tool and always has been
-What the f*ck happened in the Redkuch fight?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I can't think of one person who came out of that "event" looking good....maybe snoop?

Literally everyone else looks like they ripped off millions of people.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Second-hand embarrasment. If i had to describe this event with one word, that would be it.

- The tiktok sisters looked so lost, i feel bad for them for all the hate they’re gonna get
-Snoop Dogg is getting so played out, no hate but he has been doing this excact same shit for decades on every platform, it’s been done.
Agreed - an awful event top to bottom. The fact that Jake PAul was the best part of it tells you all you need to know. Sucks that this card is one of the biggest of the year

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Don't forget:

- The face slap competition
- Forgetting to turn on the mic for the anthem
- The general fact that it was 4 hours for about 30 minutes of boxing.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Don't forget:

- The face slap competition
- Forgetting to turn on the mic for the anthem
- The general fact that it was 4 hours for about 30 minutes of boxing.
My stream played Soviet anthem on top of the anthem so didn’t even know that they forgot to turn the mic on, that’s hilariously bad for a event with such a huge production value.

Only positives were Taylor Hill, Mario Lopez and Al Bernstein, only thing i was impressed by was how Mario and Al didn’t sunk to the level rest of the commentary cast did.

Also Jake Paul can’t really even box worth shit, he boxes like John L. Sullivan.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jake Paul is still a jabroni. Askren makes it look like he got his face punched off and then is shown leaving the ring with his wife with a big smile on his face? I watched, and still do watch WWE the odd time and that's what we call a work.

Let Jake fight a boxer with actual experience so i can watch him get sent to the ICU.

As for the sport of Boxing, can we just throw dirt on its grave and we be done with it?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Jake Paul is still a jabroni. Askren makes it look like he got his face punched off and then is shown leaving the ring with his wife with a big smile on his face? I watched, and still do watch WWE the odd time and that's what we call a work.

Let Jake fight a boxer with actual experience so i can watch him get sent to the ICU.

As for the sport of Boxing, can we just throw dirt on its grave and we be done with it?

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer MMA over boxing but the sport isn't dead, it's just in a bad place IMO.

Big time fighters dodge each other in pursuit of a perfect record, the judges are ultra corrupt, etc...

Then there's events like this...but at end of the day its all about demand. IF people don't like it, don't buy it. I didn't buy it so I didn't give my money towards it. If enough people do that it will die.

As for it being a dive...I don't know. Ben wanted to keep fighting, ref said no.

As for Jake. Dislike the guy but its obvious he won't fight a legit boxer anytime soon and rightfully so. Even real boxers don't jump up to fighting top guys after 3 fights. That said, if he fought a real boxer, even amateur, that would be a good start.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't get me wrong, I much prefer MMA over boxing but the sport isn't dead, it's just in a bad place IMO.

Big time fighters dodge each other in pursuit of a perfect record, the judges are ultra corrupt, etc...

Then there's events like this...but at end of the day its all about demand. IF people don't like it, don't buy it. I didn't buy it so I didn't give my money towards it. If enough people do that it will die.

As for it being a dive...I don't know. Ben wanted to keep fighting, ref said no.

As for Jake. Dislike the guy but its obvious he won't fight a legit boxer anytime soon and rightfully so. Even real boxers don't jump up to fighting top guys after 3 fights. That said, if he fought a real boxer, even amateur, that would be a good start.

I'm not the biggest boxing fan but i can remember pretty well growing up that a lot of the big name fighters weren't enormous cowards and actually were willing to go with each other in the name of personal glory and obviously, lots of money. Now it's a bunch of little children running away from challenge in the name of protecting bogus records like you said.

Dude fought a dude built like a bag of milk, has had both of his hips replaced and is considered by many in MMA to be the worst striker they've ever seen. I guess to Askren's credit it shows how great of a wrestler he was in his prime because dude literally went undefeated for a good time with THAT for punches.

I'm hoping McGregor eventually steps up. Don't like the guy but he at least has striking/boxing experience and his enormous ego wouldn't allow him to lose that fight.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Gave that event a chance last night because despite the entertainment part, the Tyson/Jones fight was pretty good. This was one of the most carny things I've ever seen.

This was one of the worst events I've ever sat through. Like in pro wrestling with legendarily bad pay per views such as Heroes of Wrestling or some of the WCW memorable ones. This will go down as one of the comically worst events of all time.

Ric Flar? Ric f***in' Flair and Pete Davison watching two fat ugly guys in a slap fight? What the f*** did I just watch? Pete Davison might elicit the most intense go away heat from me than any other celebrity in history.

I don't follow boxing hardly at all. Why were the undercards so horribly mismatched? In MMA, you want to try to match up evenly matched opponents but the undercards every match seemed like a very poorly booked mismatch.

Did the guy on the stretcher die?

This looked like what would happen if you gave a trailer park 100 million dollars to produce events.

The Asken/Paul fight was so hilariously worked, I couldn't believe it. 5 hours of absolute dystopian who-ha for a 90 second rigged fight with Askren walking away laughing.

Really have to think society has completely collapsed after watching that. But kind of fun in it's complete trashy schlock so far below 0, it almost circles around back to being a 10, so bad it's good WCW way.

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Gave that event a chance last night because despite the entertainment part, the Tyson/Jones fight was pretty good. This was one of the most carny things I've ever seen.

This was one of the worst events I've ever sat through. Like in pro wrestling with legendarily bad pay per views such as Heroes of Wrestling or some of the WCW memorable ones. This will go down as one of the comically worst events of all time.

Ric Flar? Ric f***in' Flair and Pete Davison watching two fat ugly guys in a slap fight? What the f*** did I just watch? Pete Davison might illicit the most intense go away heat from me than any other celebrity in history.

I don't follow boxing hardly at all. Why were the undercards so horribly mismatched? In MMA, you want to try to match up evenly matched opponents but the undercards every match seemed like a very poorly booked mismatch.

Did the guy on the stretcher die?

This looked like what would happen if you gave a trailer park 100 million dollars to produce events.

The Asken/Paul fight was so hilariously worked, I couldn't believe it. 5 hours of absolute dystopian who-ha for a 90 second rigged fight with Askren walking away laughing.

Really have to think society has completely collapsed after watching that. But kind of fun in it's complete trashy schlock so far below 0, it almost circles around back to being a 10, so bad it's good WCW way.
Wish I could like this twice, I feel like I was legit robbed of 50 dollars.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The face slapping thing can be explained by the fact the "sport" of dudes trying to slap each other's faces off has become somewhat of a novelty on sites like YouTube with guys like Vasily Kamotsky garnering attention for their ability to slap the souls out of other guys and taking some absolute heat too. Given the main event featured a guy who made his name on YouTube i would assume that's what they were going for.

If they really wanted to go all in with that, they should have gotten the guy who's been pushing those slap fight videos on youtube, not ****ing Ric Flair and Pete Davidson

(oddly enough, this guy put out a video slamming the whole thing too so..)

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

The event was awful but it was not rigged.

Askren got tossed, was wobbly and couldn't walk in a straight line to present the ref his gloves. Was a fine stoppage.

Sure he was smiling with his wife...he wasn't unconscious or anything. In MMA, he keeps fighting through that.

Kinda feel for Askren, he'll always be known for being on the wrong end of 2 KOs.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The event was awful but it was not rigged.

Askren got tossed, was wobbly and couldn't walk in a straight line to present the ref his gloves. Was a fine stoppage.

Sure he was smiling with his wife...he wasn't unconscious or anything. In MMA, he keeps fighting through that.

Kinda feel for Askren, he'll always be known for being on the wrong end of 2 KOs.

He definitely threw that fight. A former collegiate wrestling champion and a very high, if not elite level, MMA fighter should know how to defend himself against strikes. I'm not saying he should be a good boxer, just that he should know how to defend himself a lot better than he showed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he intentionally did a wobble just so he could get the fight to end.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
He definitely threw that fight. A former collegiate wrestling champion and a very high, if not elite level, MMA fighter should know how to defend himself against strikes. I'm not saying he should be a good boxer, just that he should know how to defend himself a lot better than he showed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he intentionally did a wobble just so he could get the fight to end.
He definitely didn't. He's old, out of shape, coming off hip surgery and just can't box for shit and got clocked.

Sep 19, 2008
Surprised max is supporting Paul milking it against washed up talent. He basically said Paul shouldn't be trying to fight stiffer competition rather keep fighting lower opponents in order to make money. He said also that Paul pretty much had no response for real boxers in terms of muscle memory

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He definitely didn't. He's old, out of shape, coming off hip surgery and just can't box for shit and got clocked.

Lol, 36 isn't old. There are a bunch of a guys who can still perform at a high level even into their 40's.

Just because Askren can't box doesn't mean he can't defend himself. Keep your hands up, follow your opponent's hands and shuffle in and out to avoid punches. This is not just for boxing. It's like basic defense 101 if you're teaching basic combat skills to newbies. Askren isn't a newbie. He's one of the most accomplished collegiate wrestlers of all-time and an elite level MMA fighter. He knows how to defend himself from strikes. Pretending like he sucks at boxing means that he has zero ability to defend himself from a relative newbie like Paul is silly.

Given the fact that a guy with such a celebrated athletic background decided to come into the fight looking like a slob tells you all you need to know about how serious he was about winning this fight. I bet he would absolutely kill Paul if he trained as hard for this fight as he did for his MMA fights. It's not like this guy has never trained his boxing skills during his MMA career.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Lol, 36 isn't old. There are a bunch of a guys who can still perform at a high level even into their 40's.

Just because Askren can't box doesn't mean he can't defend himself. Keep your hands up, follow your opponent's hands and shuffle in and out to avoid punches. This is not just for boxing. It's like basic defense 101 if you're teaching basic combat skills to newbies. Askren isn't a newbie. He's one of the most accomplished collegiate wrestlers of all-time and an elite level MMA fighter. He knows how to defend himself from strikes. Pretending like he sucks at boxing means that he has zero ability to defend himself from a relative newbie like Paul is silly.

Given the fact that a guy with such a celebrated athletic background decided to come into the fight looking like a slob tells you all you need to know about how serious he was about winning this fight. I bet he would absolutely kill Paul if he trained as hard for this fight as he did for his MMA fights. It's not like this guy has never trained his boxing skills during his MMA career.
I'm not arguing that he trained his hardest. He clearly didn't give a shit. Not sure if it's him underestimating Paul or he truly just didn't care about the embarrassment of losing.

Not sure what part about the KO looks rigged to you. You think he let himself get hit like that? He got caught with a clean shot and went down hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad