Boxing: All boxing discussion

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Something is obviously wrong with Wilder. Fury is a dummy for clinching immediately. Just stand back and do your thing with the jab.

You don't know much about Wilder do you? You actually need to clinch as much as you can, stand back enough and you'll eventually eat one of his right hand bombs. Fury played this one perfectly.

Agreed

Thats why i think prime Tyson would have destroyed Wilder. The combo of speed , power and being right in his face would have crushed him

Prime Tyson would send Wilder to another dimension, his style is a complete nightmare.

Reactions: Bronn

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Agreed

Thats why i think prime Tyson would have destroyed Wilder. The combo of speed , power and being right in his face would have crushed him

I love Tyson but I'm not sure he'd reach Wilder's face

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I love Tyson but I'm not sure he'd reach Wilder's face

Tyson would give him zero chance to load that big right, he would walk him down and clinch, eventually he would KO him from up close. Walder needs to work on his overall game, he relies too much on that right hand, I get it, but he reminds me of Ronda Rousey's armbar trick.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Agreed

Growing up in the late 80's, there was no athlete as hyped as Mike Tyson.
That man brought me up on boxing, just the combination of speed, power, feet, and putting the FEAR in opponents eyes before the match knowing they don't have a damn chance.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Tyson would give him zero chance to load that big right, he would walk him down and clinch, eventually he would KO him from up close. Walder needs to work on his overall game, he relies too much on that right hand, I get it, but he reminds me of Ronda Rousey's arm par trick.

That's true, Wilder isn't much of a boxer, more of a brawler and KO artist. But today it's a tall man's game. The debate reminds me of Foreman vs. Tyson. Young Foreman was also a brawler who didn't defend much or box properly.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
That's true, Wilder isn't much of a boxer, more of a brawler and KO artist. But today it's a tall man's game. The debate reminds me of Foreman vs. Tyson. Young Foreman was also a brawler who didn't defend much or box properly.

I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of height and reach, but to beat a man like Tyson, you actually need to be skilled overall, we saw that with Lennox Lewis for example (Though that was not prime time Tyson). Wilder is not that man, he's a power puncher. Fury on the other hand would be an interesting matchup for Tyson.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of height and reach, but to beat a man like Tyson, you actually need to be skilled overall, we saw that with Lennox Lewis for example. Wilder is not that man, he's a power puncher. Fury on the other hand would be an interesting matchup for someone like Tyson.

Tyson's major defeats were either by being kept out of range (Douglas, Lewis) or heavy clinching (Holyfield). Tyson took out some great punchers like Razor Ruddock. So I think you have a point.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Tyson would give him zero chance to load that big right, he would walk him down and clinch, eventually he would KO him from up close. Walder needs to work on his overall game, he relies too much on that right hand, I get it, but he reminds me of Ronda Rousey's armbar trick.

Honestly Wilder has tremendous and legendary power but when it come to technical boxing fundamentals he's not that good.

So yeah the guy has incredible power but need to work on his defense and overall technique

member 51464

You don't know much about Wilder do you? You actually need to clinch as much as you can, stand back enough and you'll eventually eat one of his right hand bombs. Fury played this one perfectly.

Prime Tyson would send Wilder to another dimension, his style is a complete nightmare.

I know enough to know this could've ended at least a round sooner had Fury poured it on rather than clinch. You know, like what he did to end it.

Hanging out for extra rounds is what gives Wilder the time to take your head off.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I know enough to know this could've ended at least a round sooner had Fury poured it on rather than clinch. You know, like what he did to end it.

Hanging out for extra rounds is what gives Wilder the time to take your head off.

Despite the domination, Fury knows damn well that Wilder has super power in that right hand and he came close to losing in their last fight because of it. He was not gonna risk it and he made the absolute right decision.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

The clinching is safer, and saps the energy of Wilder. Standing back and doing his thing with the jab is different than pouring it on. Wilder came into the fight prepared for the stand back and jab, he was not prepared for aggression or the clinching.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow. I did not expect that from Fury at all. That was a masterclass and a total beatdown. Coming back from major depression and losing 130lbs... Congrats to the Gypsy King!

Wilder's corner was smart to throw in the towel. Deontay has a big heart...he would rather die in that ring before quitting.

The only round you can "potentially" give to Wilder was the second one, seeing at is was the closest round. One of the judges gave Wilder the second round. The rest went to Fury no doubt. See the official score cards below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
The first couple of minutes of this video go over young Foremans boxing style

member 51464

Fury's singing in the post fight was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, hahaha.

Reactions: Dialamo

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The first couple of minutes of this video go over young Foremans boxing style

I've watched enough young Foreman to know his style: wild really strong haymakers and an old-school defense of keeping his hands forward and pushing the opponent off balance. I haven't watched as much Wilder but he seems even more undisciplined and less committed to defense.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Incredible fight. Thankfully there's been some fantastic fights in boxing these last few years, it was much needed. Fury looked amazing, think he has no problem with AJ.

Reactions: Dialamo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The clinching is safer, and saps the energy of Wilder. Standing back and doing his thing with the jab is different than pouring it on. Wilder came into the fight prepared for the stand back and jab, he was not prepared for aggression or the clinching.
Exactly, a near 280 lb man just leaning into you and giving you no room to breathe, and you're already wobbled... Was a very smart tactic.

Hats off to Wilder for his heart though, can't take that away from him.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Respect to Wilder for wanting to go out on his own terms rather than his corner throwing in the towel. Not saying it's smart since he was in no shape to defend himself anymore and that could've ended badly.

But.

I hate when fighters say "I have no excuses BUT I had a lot of complications before the fight. But no excuses." If you have no excuses, then just say that, no buts and ifs. If on the other hand you think you weren't at your 100%, then say it.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Wilder had the Finish me bobblehead going on for about two or three rounds prior to the TKO.

I say this $215 lighter today. New moto, never bet against a Gypsy. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad