Boxing: All boxing discussion

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
While I'm not happy that Canelo won, you can't say he didn't deserve it.

GGG looked older and slower and quite confused/unsure of what to do for quite a few rounds. That hesitation, combined with not having a killer instinct throughout 100% of the fight, and his stubbornness of trying to keep the fight in the center of the ring for far too long is what cost him in the end. And I am saying this as a GGG fan.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
These fights are tough for me because Canelo and GGG are my two favorite current boxers. But I probably lean ever so slightly to GGG. With that said, I have no bias, that is for sure. GGG clearly and I mean CLEARLY won the first fight, but we will even put that aside because tonight was the better fight (one of the best I have seen in awhile). I give Canelo a lot of credit because in the first half of the fight he was the aggressor, he did not back up at all in the fight. But in the second half of the fight, Golovkin was pummeling Canelo with barrages of power combos in at least three of the last four rounds. Again, to Canelo's credit, he took them like no other GGG opponent ever and even more so he kept fighting back. So, in summation, I dont think this time was a robbery by any stretch, but this time I would have been happy with a draw. I personally think it was either 6-6 or 7-5 for GGG, but it was really close.

For GGG, I dont know what the next step should be. Does it make sense to fight Canelo again? He is going to keep getting older and I cannot imagine his chances will be improving. It sucks because will this tarnish his legacy? GGG should be looked at as an all time great because It is not his fault that every other top fighter ducked him during his prime years. Nobody would fight him. Now I am afraid if he does not retire soon, suddenly the younger fighters will be brave enough to face an aging Golovkin when they would not a few years ago.

Reactions: Dialamo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This sport has gone to the dogs sadly. I love boxing and train in it myself but shit like this is so frustrating. Unfortunately Golden Boy and 28 year old Canelo winning will line the pockets of everyone involved more than a 36 year old GGG winning will.

Reactions: Gains

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
For GGG, I dont know what the next step should be. Does it make sense to fight Canelo again? He is going to keep getting older and I cannot imagine his chances will be improving.

I expect him to milk the Canelo cash cow for as long as he can. I read somewhere he was estimated to make 40M USD from this fight. He's 36 and just doesn't have the name recognition to generate anywhere close to that figure by himself as the marque fighter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I expect him to milk the Canelo cash cow for as long as he can. I read somewhere he was estimated to make 40M USD from this fight. He's 36 and just doesn't have the name recognition to generate anywhere close to that figure by himself as the marque fighter.
To add to this, boxing these days being a very ethnically-cultural sport, GGG doesn't have a lot of appeal unless he's fighting someone who is Mexican or British. He's always the road team. He should be pushing for a third fight, and I also worry that he's going to be seen as someone who didn't fight anybody until he got to Canelo.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Basically at this point when there is a big time fight, I just go into it hoping to watch a good fight and have tried training myself to not care about the result. With GGG-Canelo it is a little easier because they are my two favorite boxers (but I still believe GGG won both fights). In the second fight, I got what I wanted because it was a great watch, but the unfortunate truth is when you have specifically Mayweather or Canelo fighting in Vegas, they simply will not lose without being knocked out. It will never happen. It does not matter how lopsided the fight is, the judges will score it for Canelo or Mayweather. I mean I know why their opponents agree to the fights in Vegas, because it will be their biggest paydays possible and only way to make it happen, but if they really cared about more than that, nobody would ever agree to it. Put Golovkin-Canelo in Madison Square Garden and Golovkin would have won both fights. The scoring and "official result" of a boxing match is a joke. There is no way around it. So you have to just watch the fight for its entertainmnt value and that is it.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I think Tyson Fury is going to upset Wilder. Height, reach, and weight advantage with better in ring intelligence not to mention a better resume. He also needs this fight more and is more focused while Deonte "I want a body on my record" Wilder is treating this fight like he did the bum fights he padded his record with.

I think its going to start slow as neither fighter is super aggressive at the start. In later rounds Wilder is going to get desperate in the later rounds and Fury is going to slowly dismantle him. I don't see Fury getting a complete K.O. due to Wilder's strong chin, but I do see him getting in enough damage to force a stoppage in the 8th or 9th. If it goes the distance he should win a unanimous decision handedly.

quickeyg

Nov 16, 2018
United Kingdom
Gonna go to bed and get up at around 4am. Yep Tyson Fury has height reach and weight on his side. I'm going with Fury to win this fight. See you guys later on tonight.
ALL ACCESS DAILY: Wilder vs. Fury | Part 4 | Sat, Dec 1 on SHOWTIME PPV

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Can't wait, Wilder Fury should be a good one!

Also, there is Adonis Stevenson vs Oleksandr Gvozdyk being streamed by Showtime live for free on youtube soon:

member 51464

What time should we expect the Fury v Wilder fight to start? I rarely ever watch boxing, so I don't know how quickly it goes. Or, even if all the early fights are knockouts in the 1st, would they wait to start the main event anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad