All Alfredsson Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Holmes*

"Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss and I could get every national accounting firm to agree with me."

- Paul Beeston

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yup. Alfredsson seems primed and ready to be Mike Modano part two. And Modano was Borje Salming part two. Who was Darryl Sittler part two. Who was Bernie Federko part two.

The Wings have a bad track record with veterans on their last legs. I'm not too worried.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Yup. Alfredsson seems primed and ready to be Mike Modano part two. And Modano was Borje Salming part two. Who was Darryl Sittler part two. Who was Bernie Federko part two.

The Wings have a bad track record with veterans on their last legs. I'm not too worried.

If he plays 70+ games this year, he will get 55+ pts while providing a solid two way game. He could also be Gordie Howe 2.0 ;)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If he plays 70+ games this year, he will get 55+ pts while providing a solid two way game. He could also be Gordie Howe 2.0 ;)

Gordie Howe is remembered for playing his entire career on one team. He's remembered for the good years in Detroit, not the tack-on final year in Hartford. The guys I mentioned all spent one final year in Detroit, and most went out with a whimper instead of a bang.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Mike Modano had already floundered in Dallas for 2 years before leaving for Detroit. Alfie still has a lot to offer. Anyone here watch the playoffs this year?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Mike Modano had already floundered in Dallas for 2 years before leaving for Detroit. Alfie still has a lot to offer. Anyone here watch the playoffs this year?

With the exception of the outlier year in 2010-11 where he was injured, he's been on a steady decline since 2005-06.

0706-alfie_s-career_web1.jpg

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
With the exception of the outlier year in 2010-11 where he was injured, he's been on a steady decline since 2005-06.

0706-alfie_s-career_web1.jpg

Yep, he's not much more than a 50 point two way player now. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hit 20 goals and 50 points, but I'm expecting it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So much fail in this:

The only fail here is your inexplicable inability to follow simple logic.

Where to spend the money? Alfie when he asks for 6 million. He asked for it and we should have given it to him and then traded for B Ryan and made a serious push. Got it pumpkin??

Oh yeah yeah. Let's just give all the players any amount of money they want. Let's also give all of them ponies. And maids. And unicorns and rainbows. And let's plant fields of money trees for them too. Are you ****ing kidding me? "He asked for it and we should have given it to him"??? Are you even serious? Jesus.

Spent to the cap? You win the technicality awards my man. Really what happened was we spent where Melnyk was comfortable with and he has continued to operate at that number.

I win a technicality award? Yeah I guess if by technicality you mean the accurate interpretation of the cap that is tied to league-wide revenues. In case you didn't realize, the cap used to be lower because revenues were lower. The cap moves up almost entirely because of the earning power of the top 8 teams in the league, of which Ottawa has never been one. Is this really that hard to understand? Which part of small market team spending like a big market team for years leads you to believe that there is an "internal budget"? How thick do you have to be to actually believe that?

Debt? The debt payments are already included in the expenses so the 14.5 million in profit goes where?

The $14.5 million operating income are earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. You think Melnyk is actually pocketing $14.5 million after last year? You were a financial auditor you said? Yet you have absolutely no clue what an operating income is. Mind blowing.

Thats all I want from you, answer me where the 14.5 million went, and if Melnyk banked it is he still a good owner or just plain greedy.

Riddle me this batman

Let me restate what I said before. If this team was spending to the cap most years and outside of a lucrative run to the Finals they were losing millions at the end of the year, where does THAT money come from? You think debt just disappears like you can just wish it away? What the **** kind of la la land are you living in?

Tell me where Melnyk was getting the money for the years where he was losing millions? That's where the $14.5 million went. Just because he makes some money at the end of an unexpectedly above average year makes him a bad guy? What the hell is up with some of you guys? Do you also run your personal finances in to debt every year? Or do you feel the pinch and try to cut back some spending in some places until you can afford to start spending again? Who have you been auditing for? Nortel???? "Yup, everything's great guys. Go ahead and ok those bonuses and salary hikes for the executive management. Let's just keep spending money until this whole ****ing thing comes crashing down." Get real.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I'm sure we'd all like it if Melnyk could just throw money at the team, but expecting as much seems more than a tad unfair. Just because you don't care where the money comes from doesn't mean it just magically appears.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm sure we'd all like it if Melnyk could just throw money at the team, but expecting as much seems more than a tad unfair. Just because you don't care where the money comes from doesn't mean it just magically appears.

Feels like we're talking to walls in here because people keep thinking that Melnyk owns acres of money trees somewhere in South America that he uses to finance this team.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
What's left to say that hasn't already been said? Alfie and Melnyk just keep dragging this **** out. Time to move on already.

Some people wanted a last explanation.
Murray and Melnyk gave theirs, it's time for Alfie to do so before training camp.

This should be all until Sens meet the Wings.

The Fuhr*

Team has no money so Alfredsson went to a team that can spend

Pretty simple

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Team has no money so Alfredsson went to a team that can spend

Pretty simple

And it worked out just fine. For Silfverberg and Alfredsson, Ottawa got MacArthur and Ryan.

It hurts to know the reigning captain of your team who spent 17 years there got up and left, when he had the right to do so, but the team is much better off now.

The Fuhr*

It did... If we signed Alfredsson, Melnyk said we did not have money for Ryan.

That trade off favors the Sens

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Feels like we're talking to walls in here because people keep thinking that Melnyk owns acres of money trees somewhere in South America that he uses to finance this team.

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't but neither you or I know for sure.......Don't forget though that he does live in Barbados.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think the batman reference about being hero is quite accurate right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It did... If we signed Alfredsson, Melnyk said we did not have money for Ryan.

That trade off favors the Sens

I think when he said we couldn't sign Alfredsson and trade for Ryan, he meant we couldn't sign Alfie to the "blank cheque" contract of 6 mil.

There is still the potential that we could have signed Alfie to a more reasonable (read discounted) 4-4.5 mil contract, traded for Ryan, but not signed MacArthur.

To me this seems only logical, as the trade for Ryan seemed far too quick after Alfredsson's decision was made to not have been discussed earlier, and it fits in with the timelines and description of events that Murray stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->