Alfredsson: We're willing to lose the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Thunderstruck said:
The foolishness of the leadership has been mind-boggling. When the former head of the MLBPA is dressing Goodenow down in public for his flawed tactics, then you know that things are seriously wrong with the PA's leadership.

Sure you're being forced to take some bitter medicine. Agree to cost certainty, with the condition that the process begins with an independant forensic audit of all 30 teams finances. If the owners refuse, they will never get an impasse (if that is their goal) and more importantly, they will lose the public's support.

The obvious question for PA supporters, is why the PA hasn't already called the league on this if they really believe the owners are fudging the books. Instead, they simply cling to the "philosophical" differences and "no-cap" stance.

Could it be that they realize that league is indeed in trouble and that the "lack of trust" issue is just a smokescreen to hide their naked greed in maintaining an inflationary system at any cost?

They realize the league is in trouble. Their 24% rollback definetely acknowledges the losses in this league. Everyone from the outside can see that this business is in dire straights, so I'm sure the people on the inside(players, agents, union leadership) must be able to see the financial situation of the league.

To me, its not about the owners books, or blame anymore. Its about getting a solution, and that solution is cost certainty. We'll be watching hockey, the sooner the players accept the inevitable. It's basically fish or cut bait time for the PA. Goodenow's 24% rollback completely backfired on him, as that guaranteed the PA 56% of league revenues, so therefore, if the owners are proposing to give tghe union 54% of revenue, then they must not be that far off right?

Wrong. Because the PA's offer was simply bad judgment, Goodenow knows that the system is inflationary, with arbitration the players would regain their rollback within 2 - 4 years. All of this, and Bettman called Goodenow on it, just an example of terrible leadership. Goodenow has an opportunity to save the PA, and its members a lot of money by agreeing to cost certainty now, instead of a year or so from now.

SENSible1*

struckmatch said:
They realize the league is in trouble. Their 24% rollback definetely acknowledges the losses in this league. Everyone from the outside can see that this business is in dire straights, so I'm sure the people on the inside(players, agents, union leadership) must be able to see the financial situation of the league.

To me, its not about the owners books, or blame anymore. Its about getting a solution, and that solution is cost certainty. We'll be watching hockey, the sooner the players accept the inevitable. It's basically fish or cut bait time for the PA. Goodenow's 24% rollback completely backfired on him, as that guaranteed the PA 56% of league revenues, so therefore, if the owners are proposing to give tghe union 54% of revenue, then they must not be that far off right?

Wrong. Because the PA's offer was simply bad judgment, Goodenow knows that the system is inflationary, with arbitration the players would regain their rollback within 2 - 4 years. All of this, and Bettman called Goodenow on it, just an example of terrible leadership. Goodenow has an opportunity to save the PA, and its members a lot of money by agreeing to cost certainty now, instead of a year or so from now.

I agree, I just get tired of the rhetoric from the PA and its apologists citing lack of trust where none is necessary. You don't trust them FINE. All you have to do is agree on independant auditors to go through the books and you don't NEED to trust them.

Goodenow has been so thoroughly outmanouvered throughout this entire process that I feel embarrassed for him. The PA members need to give serious consideration to a change in leadership if he continues to advise them that it is in there best interests to continue to avoid the inevitable. A strong leader would tell them to swallow their pride and the bitter medicine and get the best deal possible with the owners holding the winning hand.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Thunderstruck said:
I agree, I just get tired of the rhetoric from the PA and its apologists citing lack of trust where none is necessary. You don't trust them FINE. All you have to do is agree on independant auditors to go through the books and you don't NEED to trust them.

Goodenow has been so thoroughly outmanouvered throughout this entire process that I feel embarrassed for him. The PA members need to give serious consideration to a change in leadership if he continues to advise them that it is in there best interests to continue to avoid the inevitable. A strong leader would tell them to swallow their pride and the bitter medicine and get the best deal possible with the owners holding the winning hand.

Exactly. And this is the reason why I remain a slight bit optomistic regarding a season, because if we can see this, I'm assuming Goodenow is smart enough to see it as well, in addition to other knowledgable hockey guys like Trevor Linden who are within PA leadership.

Maybe I'm just an optomist by nature. But Goodenow and the PA can't be this dumb, can they?

SENSible1*

struckmatch said:
Exactly. And this is the reason why I remain a slight bit optomistic regarding a season, because if we can see this, I'm assuming Goodenow is smart enough to see it as well, in addition to other knowledgable hockey guys like Trevor Linden who are within PA leadership.

Maybe I'm just an optomist by nature. But Goodenow and the PA can't be this dumb, can they?
Pride can, unfortunately, make smart people do some pretty idiotic things.

MmmBacon

Dec 2, 2004
I think you guys are reading too much into this. Garrioch called up Alfie, and probably asked a question like "So, are the players willing to sit out the season?"

What is he supposed to say? He can't say no, and no comment sounds pretty much like the same thing. Of course he's going to say yes.

My only question about this article is why it qualifies as news. Both players and owners have stated a million times that they're willing to sacrifice this season.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Dear Alfredsson:

We're willing to see you choke vs. the Leafs in the playoffs again

Love,
All Leaf Fans Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad