News Article: Alfredsson has earned his rightful place in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes but mostly because the HHoF is a farce that allows some very mediocre people for 100% political and financial reasons in to justify it's continued existence.

Carbonneau is in the HHoF :biglaugh:

Carbonneau in his prime was pretty amazing at what he did as a defensive forward and leader. I'd gladly have him on my team any day of the week.

Now, I don't know if a hall of fame is the place for those kinds of roles, that's an entirely different debate.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
But a video game cover needs to be there?
Only great players get that nod. Mario Lemieux was on the cover of 2002. That's global recognition of your importance in the sport. Alfie never reached anywhere close to that outside of Ottawa. Well in Sweden he did.

Personal awards is what separates players who enter the HHOF.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Carbonneau in his prime was pretty amazing at what he did as a defensive forward and leader. I'd gladly have him on my team any day of the week.

Now, I don't know if a hall of fame is the place for those kinds of roles, that's an entirely different debate.
Montreal had been in a funk for many years not having any nominations so I think that played a role.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Only great players get that nod. Mario Lemieux was on the cover of 2002. That's global recognition of your importance in the sport. Alfie never reached anywhere close to that outside of Ottawa. Well in Sweden he did.

Only the greats, like Owen Nolan, Marcus Naslund, Dany Heatley...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Only great players like owen nolan in 2001, Phaneuf in 2009. Eric staal in 2008, Vanbriesbrouck in 97, Tarasenko in 2017.

Sorry, not buying what you're selling. I'll take Clancy and Messier recognition over video games 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Only the greats, like Owen Nolan, Marcus Naslund, Dany Heatley...
Those guys got the media attention for at least 1 season for them to be the face of the league. They were top ten in scoring when they were put on the cover. I would say marketing expansion teams played a part too.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Those guys got the media attention for at least 1 season for them to be the face of the league. They were top ten in scoring when they were put on the cover. I would say marketing expansion teams played a part too.
Maybe so, but they aren't among the greats like you claim, and Alfie has a better hockey resume than all of them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Maybe so, but they aren't among the greats like you claim, and Alfie has a better hockey resume than all of them.
The point was Iginla's resume was better than Alfredsson's. Making a cover doesn't mean you are a HHOFer but it means you were recognized as a player by the premier Sports gaming franchise at the time as being very marketable..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The point was Iginla's resume was better than Alfredsson's. Making a cover doesn't mean you are a HHOFer but it means you were recognized as a player by the premier Sports gaming franchise at the time as being very marketable..

Yes, more marketable for that one season. Not really anything to do with a HHOF resume. Video game covers are about selling more video games. Swedish captain of Canada's smallest market isn't particularly marketable.

If it were a recognition of the most deserving player, it would pull some weight, but nhl covers clearly are not that.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Yes, and then you listed the EA cover like it held value but brushed off actual awards recognized by the NHL lol.

Come on man, all EA did was pick a player that had an outstanding season the year before. EA NHL has been a joke for years.

I agree Iginla has a better resume than Alfie, but EA has nothing to do with it!

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
The clueless old codgers who select for the Hockey Hall of Fame have made horrible mistakes by inducting some 40 forwards who put up video game stats in the highest scoring era from 1980-1995. Eventually, they will recognize their mistake and induct Alfredsson. Until then, we'll wait breathlessly for them to announce that they're inducting:

an average first liner from the 1980's
another one of the late 80's/early 90's Sabres players; a crap team that never won a damn thing
some obscure European player who was good in a 2 week long international tournament in 1982

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, and then you listed the EA cover like it held value but brushed off actual awards recognized by the NHL lol.

Come on man, all EA did was pick a player that had an outstanding season the year before. EA NHL has been a joke for years.

I agree Iginla has a better resume than Alfie, but EA has nothing to do with it!
This is the hole argument man. Stop getting caught up on one thing.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

One of these days, you should take a much closer look at the whole production it took to win Art Ross trophies for the players who won them over the past 20 or so seasons. Pay particular attention to players who weren't generational talents and posted great seasons throughout most of their careers. The guys with the unusual spikes? In most cases, those seasons were productions based on; scandalous amounts of PP time, offensive zone starts, loaded lines, weak divisions and measurable changes in a team's game plan (from winning games to prioritizing that player's chance at an Art Ross). If you thought that team's just rolled lines similarly and that their focus is always winning games, you're sorely mistaken!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
One of these days, you should take a much closer look at the whole production it took to win Art Ross trophies for the players who won them over the past 20 or so seasons. Pay particular attention to players who weren't generational talents and posted great seasons throughout most of their careers. The guys with the unusual spikes? In most cases, those seasons were productions based on; scandalous amounts of PP time, offensive zone starts, loaded lines, weak divisions and measurable changes in a team's game plan (from winning games to prioritizing that player's chance at an Art Ross). If you thought that team's just rolled lines similarly and that their focus is always winning games, you're sorely mistaken!
Alfredsson benefited from all of those things you listed and still didn't reach the same level as other HHOFers.

Iginla was better than Alfredsson.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In the 80s.

But that's besides the fact that you said personal awards separate players from entry into the HHoF.

Are you changing your criteria?
No, you are just trying to find ways that's it's 100% right. There are always exception to the rule but when comparing 2 players those things stand out.

Adam Oates has no personal awards either but he had over 1000 assists.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are always exception to the rule but when comparing 2 players those things stand out.

Right, and in Alfredsson's case, he has personal awards, he has 1,000 points, and he did it during a time where offence in the NHL was at historical lows.

Adam Oates has no personal awards either but he had over 1000 assists.

The luxury of playing in the 1980s and early 90s again.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Right, and in Alfredsson's case, he has personal awards, he has 1,000 points, and he did it during a time where offence in the NHL was at historical lows.

The luxury of playing in the 1980s and early 90s again.
It doesn't matter what era, you still had to play.

Alfie has 1 major award.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Alfredsson benefited from all of those things you listed and still didn't reach the same level as other HHOFers.

You haven't researched anything and seem to be shooting from the hip. If you're not interested in doing any work, because you already know everything, then this conversation isn't going to go very far.

I provided you with a list of statistics to help you understand why certain players have won scoring titles. I would suggest that you look into some of them, because at this point, it doesn't seem like you understand what you're talking about.

Iginla was better than Alfredsson.

That's highly debatable. What isn't debatable though, is that Iginla's Art Ross trophy was a production put on by the Flames to win him that trophy.

700 goals and he scored the last goal ever at Chicago Stadium in the 1994 playoffs.

Mike Gartner was the Patrick Marleau of the 1980's.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You haven't researched anything and seem to be shooting from the hip. If you're not interested in doing any work, because you already know everything, then this conversation isn't going to go very far.

I provided you with a list of statistics to help you understand why certain players have won scoring titles. I would suggest that you look into some of them, because at this point, it doesn't seem like you understand what you're talking about.

That's highly debatable. What isn't debatable though, is that Iginla's Art Ross trophy was a production put on by the Flames to win him that trophy.

Mike Gartner was the Patrick Marleau of the 1980's.
Do bad hockey player win scoring titles? Iginla was a very consistent player and racked up awards. While playing with Heatley and Spezza alfredsson did not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad