Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
totally bush league and showing how classless alfie really is. how would sens fans feel if pronger (who i dont like either) or nieds took that cheapshot at alfie, heatly, spezza? i somehow think the reactions would be 100% different.

I think we've all seen enough cheapshots in the last 6 weeks from all teams to last a lifetime. At least everyone keeps their eye on the puck.

YellHockey*

He's trying to avoid Beauchemin from blocking the shot. There wasn't a lot of room for Alfie to shoot it between Beauchemin's stick and Niedermayer so Alfie missed and it hit Niedermayer.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
...he shot it in anger and frustration and should be punished for sure.

This is what I don't get. What exactly was he angry about? Scoring two goals in the last two games? Getting into the third period tied 2-2 after getting ridiculously outplayed? He had nothing to be frustrated about, the game was not a rout and they were pretty much still in this thing.

SouthernHockey

Jun 5, 2007
This is what I don't get. What exactly was he angry about? Scoring two goals in the last two games? Getting into the third period tied 2-2 after getting ridiculously outplayed? He had nothing to be frustrated about, the game was not a rout and they were pretty much still in this thing.

His frustration comes from two fronts. First, the Sens have had numerous playoff meltdowns and it seems, unfairly I clearly believe, he has been held almost totally and single handedly accountable for their failures. And that statement leads me to reason two, the Sens are playing better in Ottawa but not nearly as well as they will need to win this series. Alf sees that and he knows what will happen if the Sens again implode. He will be the fall guy for sure. By the end of the second period he could see the Ducks once again swinging the momentum into their favor and he was snarly all period in my opinion. Heatley is playing relatively poorly. Spezza is playing relatively poorly. And Alf is getting upset. That's the bottom line.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about. Alfie has more class in his pinky than you will ever have. Don't try to tell me you know more about this man than us diehard fans. He isn't dumb enough to attempt to injure Niedermayer in such obvious fashion. It was a mistake wether you like it or not. Haters are always waiting for Daniel to stumble so they can jump on in and bash away. Sorry though, he's just a man and made a mistake. GET OVER IT.

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
I love that argument.

I wouldn't care. It might even wake the team up, or at least the person who it's aimed at.

im rooting for the sens to make my pens look better (if possible) for losing in the first round. your gonna tell me that it would make no difference if a ducks player fired the puck at a sen? i find it hard to believe that if someone took a shot at a sens player there would be no reaction. im sorry but i just cant believe that.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
im rooting for the sens to make my pens look better (if possible) for losing in the first round. your gonna tell me that it would make no difference? i find it hard to believe that if someone took a shot at a sens player there would be no reaction. im sorry but i just cant believe that.

They'd probably say that the shooter was too tall, or just in the run of play. :sarcasm:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
im rooting for the sens to make my pens look better (if possible) for losing in the first round. your gonna tell me that it would make no difference if a ducks player fired the puck at a sen? i find it hard to believe that if someone took a shot at a sens player there would be no reaction. im sorry but i just cant believe that.

Did you just say(write) that out loud?

Hard to take anything you say seriously when you admit to having such motives.

SouthernHockey

Jun 5, 2007
Bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about. Alfie has more class in his pinky than you will ever have. Don't try to tell me you know more about this man than us diehard fans. He isn't dumb enough to attempt to injure Niedermayer in such obvious fashion. It was a mistake wether you like it or not. Haters are always waiting for Daniel to stumble so they can jump on in and bash away. Sorry though, he's just a man and made a mistake. GET OVER IT.

If your rant is targeted on me, what are you talking about? #1 I don't hate or even dislike Alf. In fact, I find his hockey skills and abilities to be top rate. Love to have that dude on my team anyday. #2 I doubt you are in any position to evaluate my class or lack of. #3 Where did I say anything about knowing this man? I'm quite certain that a diehard fan such as you are well qualified to know exactly what he was and is thinking as we speak. #4 His intelligence or attempt to injure Mr. Neidermayer was never discussed in posts. #5 I beg to differ with you. That shot was no mistake like or not, to quote your post. #6 However, being the gentleman that I am I can admit that we have some common ground after all. Yes, Alf is a man. And yes, he made a mistake. But like any mistake we are all capable of making, he should be held accountable. Like I said, I would love to see Pronger take a shot like that at Alf, Spezza, or Heatley and watch "diehard Sens fans" such as you melt down before our eyes. But thanks for your kind words just the same.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the Senators or the Ducks. Frankly, I don't like either team. But I have to laugh at you Sens "supporters." Alf absolutely, positively, without any question or doubt shot that puck directly at Neidermeyer. Further, the Sens and their coach would be livid if the situation were reversed. And there can be no doubt that the NHL needs to evaluate the video and level some level of punishment in this circumstance. To get off scott (excuse the unintended pun) free, not even getting a third period penalty was an outrage. I love hockey and there is no place in hockey for that kind of action. So, stop making excuses and stop debating his intentions.....he shot it in anger and frustration and should be punished for sure. Like I said, I would love to see how the Sens would react if Pronger shot the puck at Spezza!! You'd be having seizures.

That's a hoot.

A completely unbiased person signs up to HF Boards just to make 2 posts on the same topic..

I am sure you're not a Duck fan or a Sens fan.

Were I to guess, you are a Leafs fan or a Sabres fan.

They seem to be the ones with their knickers in a knot over this.

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007

I agree, people need to move on from this. It wasn't one of Alfie's best moves and like you said, Alfie's only human and he made a mistake. I know I've made lots of bad moves in my lifetime, some were pretty lame.

People need to get over it. Other internet forums are having a field day with this. THere are so many hockey players who make dumb @ss moves, this is one of them and trust me there are many more to come from players across the league. Move on people, really.

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
im ROOTING FOR YOUR TEAM! im rooting for the east. im rooting for the team that eliminated my team. that means GO OTTAWA. the series isnt over.

i do not like alfie and i do not like pronger either. i think pronger is a punk. i have lost respect for both of them. it was a bs antic to pull by alfie at the end of the period. if pronger did that sens fans would be up in arms.

that said...good luck sens. (that means im rooting for the senators)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
i do not like alfie and i do not like pronger either. i think pronger is a punk. i have lost respect for both of them. it was a bs antic to pull by alfie at the end of the period. if pronger did that sens fans would be up in arms.

The difference being Pronger is a goon with a history of taking out people with cheap dirty hits throughout his carreer. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything. You can't say the same about Alfreddsson.

maçon

Jun 5, 2007
toronto

i don't care to know everything about him or more than you diehard fans. one thing i do fully expect to have is an impartial view of him being as unlike you "diehards" i'm not wearing rose-coloured glasses. i've watched him enough to know he's got a meanstreak which he channels by cheap-shotting people as was seen several times yesterday.

the league would do well by suspending him.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

Sorry, I never said there would be no reaction. Of course there would. I'm just saying it wouldn't come from me.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Guys,

I ask people to stop trying to attach a fan association with every person that comes on here. If you don't like someone's arguement, that's fine. YOu're free to counter their arguements, but, don't start assuming someone is part of X fan base, only coming to start trouble. If you think the poster is trolling, the report function is there.

Trying to say that "So-and-so is probably just a bitter Sabres/Leafs/Penguins/Devils/whatever fan" is an attempt to attack the poster (unsuccessfully at that, because every fan base here has its good and bad fans), rather than attacking the arguement, and, we don't allow that here.

hockeyscribe22*

Here's my take...

http://insidehockey.com/columns/735

I imagine all of you Sens fans disagree with what I've wrote here, but I'm sorry, that was just as bad, if not worse than Pronger's elbow!

I respected Alfredsson, defended him through all the criticism he received for the Senators' failures, but I'm sorry, there's no defending this! Until he apologizes, I have no respect for that.

Go ahead and slam me. I completely understand, but let it be known I picked the Sens and have been standing by that pick until now. That was disgraceful, as was the team's performance in the final two periods.

I love all of you fans and wish you'd be celebrating at a parade this weekend, but you have Krusty to thank for that not happening!

SouthernHockey

Jun 5, 2007
That's a hoot.

A completely unbiased person signs up to HF Boards just to make 2 posts on the same topic..

I am sure you're not a Duck fan or a Sens fan.

Were I to guess, you are a Leafs fan or a Sabres fan.

They seem to be the ones with their knickers in a knot over this.

Thank you for your critical review of my posts and calling them a "hoot" Where I live that is considerred a compliment. I am pleased you were entertained.

You are correct. I am not a Ducks or Sens fan.

You are incorrect. I am a Philadelphia Flyers fan where we have players who have the courage and guts to face an opposing player face to face, man to man. Well, except in the case of Eager and McGratton. And trust me, Eager paid the price in our press for his act of cowardice for that move. Nobody made any excuses in these parts for Eager.

And for your information, my "knickers" are not in a knot over this incident. It just appears that way because I'm wearing new jeans. Good luck Sens fans, you'll need it down 3 games to 1. But I'll be watching to see how you react if Mr. Pronger launches a frozen rope at Alf, Spezza or Heatley. I hope to see the same excuses and extreme HOMERISMS.

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007

You are incorrect. I am a Philadelphia Flyers fan where we have players who have the courage and guts to face an opposing player face to face, man to man. Well, except in the case of Eager and McGratton. And trust me, Eager paid the price in our press for his act of cowardice for that move. Nobody made any excuses in these parts for Eager.

Oh my God, spare me the man to man talk. This is getting to be rediculous. It's funny how most of the fans complaining about this are fans of teams that missed the playoffs.

newtron

Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa
murph - Your column was funny. Was that your intent?

To basically say that you thought the Sens had the grit and determination to be a great playoff team, but that was all erased when Alfie hit Niedermayer with a puck... is ridiculous.

First of all, it was unintentional. Whether or not you believe Alfie's explanation matters not.

Secondly, how does one play like that erase all that they've accomplished this season and playoffs? They've already demolished three 100+ point teams, (two of which were ranked higher than them) including the the mighty Sabres.

The Sens have shown great heart and determination all playoffs and Alfie has been their leader in every sense of the word. The Ducks look like the better team right now and many Sens are struggling (Alfie included), but it's not over yet.

We don't need people like you on the bandwagon anyways. Later.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Only Alfie knows what really happened. Everyone else is just speculating. The specualtion says alot more about them and their beliefs then it does about Alfredsson. If they are a hater they will hate him even more, if the are a fan they will cheer him more. No one will change anyone's opinion.

I don't know what his intent was. No one can say for sure. A plausible explanation: He cross the blue line, wound up, saw 2 defenceman in the middle and stopped shooting, if his intent was to hit some one he could have unloaded there and nailed some one. He took a couple steps looked at the clock and shot again. His aim was more to the side, Neidermeyer was crossing the ice and got hit. Why the slapper? to ensure it got by the defenceman. A little flip could easily be knocked down and shot back into his own zone. Was the intent to nail Neidermeyer? Only Alfie knows for sure everyone else is just guessing based on their opinion of Alfie before the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad