Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Brian Burke may be a fool for claiming he made this team to fight and be aggressive, but the Ducks have been nothing but class this series.

No one on the Ducks pressed the excuse button for Pronger and no one has taken swings at players (Alfredsson on Moen), or shot pucks at players, or taken swan dives all over the ice. (Congrats Mrs. Neil....you were more of a man during childbirth than your husband was rolling up in a fetal position last night)...

The Alfredsson ordeal would be over if all the whining apologists and history re-writes weren't going on now. Revenge will be carrying the Cup around another sunbelt state for a year. The best way to get in Ottawa's craw is when there is nothing more than a victory in game 5. The only cheap play will be Neil, Fisher, and Heatley's famous slash to the back of the legs. Mark it.

Other then the Domi style elbow to the face and countless hand slashes, boarding shots among many other cheap plays you’re absolutely right.
You’re obviously bias and are only hear to bait so why don’t you move on.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I doubt you'll have anything to worry about this series. Although Carlyle's postgame statement might be worrying from your point of view. He said "Players have long memories."

To me that means next season, or whenever we play next. Although who knows when that'll be with the NHL's scheduling. They'll probably just send someone out to challenge him to a fight.

If he fights, whatever the outcome, the incident will be completely over with. If he turtles, we'll get a penalty and an instigator, but the incident will likely also be over with. I hope he doesn't run away... because that's where Moore-like incidents happen. I just hope we don't do anything stupid if that's the case.

Actually I didn't watch the press conference and didn't know Carlyle said that...the comments supposedly came directly from Pronger and other players that were not in the line up. If the comments are coming from the coach all the way down that is just asking for trouble. I am hoping, like you, no one does anything stupid. But I am also concerned how big the media is trying to make this...this is exactly what happened in the Canuck situation...the media and fans fueled it bigger than it ever needed to be. Hopefully cooler heads will provail.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
You really represent the "nothing but class" ducks really well. I hope your 45 fans are happy that they win the cup.

You have to be fair... there are at least enough to fill an arena. :)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
If the comments are coming from the coach all the way down that is just asking for trouble.

I think you need to go up a little bit higher than that. There's no doubt in my mind that Brian Burke is pulling all those strings in the background urging his team to retaliate in a hurry. Burke is pretty much all about the Goon hockey.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you need to go up a little bit higher than that. There's no doubt in my mind that Brian Burke is pulling all those strings in the background urging his team to retaliate in a hurry. Burke is pretty much all about the Goon hockey.

No, it's just more gamesmanship.

Always try to make the other team look like the goons in order to get some support from the officials.

It's been going on all series, I don't know why we should be surprised to see more of it.

If the Ducks actually DO something about it, then I'd be extremely surprised.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
When players dump the puck they usualy slap it in. Ducks are one of the best team to pressure the puck carrier. That's why they made Ottawa turn the puck over so many time in this series.

Alfi has one of the hardest hitting defensmen in the game closing the gap on him so he doesn't have the time to think about the other D. All the reajusting his position BS that is being said on this board is not to aim at Nieds but to avoid Beauchemin..

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
Neidermeyer WAS NOT in between the goal and Afredsson! You are blinded by your love of team. Step back. Neids was between the boards and the center circle, closer to the face-off dot near the blueline!

That blindness makes the rest of your arguement needless. I'm just a hockey fan with no team in the running, and when 99% of the league's fans and media saw the play and call it what it was, well, it says what it says.

I didn't say he was between Alfie and the goal. I said he was in the direction of the goal. Also, I did not say Alfie didn't do it on purpose, as it certainly looked like he did, I was just telling you why the suspension rule you stated can not be applied. I said he is not a ref, and it can't be proven that it was done on purpose because of Neidermayer's general direction relative to Alfredsson.

That being said, the media will say whatever they have to to cause or embellish controversy. Many fans will eat up and spit out what the media throws at them. Hence, you get the Pronger/Neil discussion, etc. No one would have mentioned that Neil attempted hit if Burke hadn't talked about it and the media hadn't played it over and over. Burke was deflecting attention. He knows how media and fans work. Genius? Probably.

Last edited:

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB

Right, that is what I have been concerned about...if the Senators lose they lose. I don't want Alfredsson or any other player the recipient of something that causes a major injury for next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Guys he did it on purpose lets not look like homers here. But on the other hand I dont have any problem with it. All sorts of dirty stuff happens we dont see it all but we saw that one. Alfredsson wants to win he thought it would help. Was it dirty, yes. Cheap yes. But were in the Stanley Cup finals against the most penalized team in the league who is not afraid to take a penalty to prove there point. Glad he did it the man wont back down.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Shooting a puck at another player is only weird to you?
Yes, Alfie shooting the puck at a player, the captain of the other team no less, is weird and out of character to me. I'm not going to crucify him because I don't know his intentions but it certainly didn't look good.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
2. Neidermayer was in the direction of the goal.
If you actually, you know, watch the reply, you'll see the Niedermeyer is NOT in the direction of the goal. Alfie has amazing accuracy, no way he was trying to aim it at net there.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
If you actually, you know, watch the reply, you'll see the Niedermeyer is NOT in the direction of the goal. Alfie has amazing accuracy, no way he was trying to aim it at net there.

I actually agree here. Again, I meant GENERAL direction, and was commenting about Chucky's suspension discussion. I was NOT discussing my personal opinion as to whether or not it was intentional.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I actually agree here. Again, I meant GENERAL direction, and was commenting about Chucky's suspension discussion. I was NOT discussing my personal opinion as to whether or not it was intentional.
General direction? So uhm.. the fact that he shot it towards Anahem's end is "general direction"? If that's the point you're trying to make, why? He was not aiming at the net, and that's what is relevant.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
General direction? So uhm.. the fact that he shot it towards Anahem's end is "general direction"? If that's the point you're trying to make, why? He was not aiming at the net, and that's what is relevant.

The point is that the league can not conclusively say that he was not just slap-dumping the puck carelessly. Therefore, they can not suspend him. That is all. Nothing crazy, nothing controversial...

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
There was no doubt a reason he did it if it was intentional. As stated earlier in the thread, Niedermayer is far from a clean, honorable player. We'll just never hear about it and people will continue to rip on Alfredsson because I guess it's fun.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Close minded opinion- Alfie was just trying to ricochet it off Niedermayer and hoped it would get past the goaltender.

Realistic opinion- Alfie was frustrated at the time and in the heat of battle lost it for a second.

Which one was it, we may never know. :D

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
The point is that the league can not conclusively say that he was not just slap-dumping the puck carelessly. Therefore, they can not suspend him. That is all. Nothing crazy, nothing controversial...

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Though I still don't understand why you said "2. Neidermayer was in the direction of the goal."

Though I do think it could be argued that given the circumstances (time, location) that such carelessness (if it was, which I don't think it was) should still be punished.

I think a fine would be more deserving than a suspension.

There was no doubt a reason he did it if it was intentional. As stated earlier in the thread, Niedermayer is far from a clean, honorable player. We'll just never hear about it and people will continue to rip on Alfredsson because I guess it's fun.

Don't make assumptions to try and defend him.

DucksWon'07

Oct 21, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Ah come on...Neidermayer is one of the dirtiest little ****'* in the league...too bad Alfie didn't put it off his teeth.

Go watch him play live and see the stick work he does as the play moves away or up the ice. He was notorious in when he played for the Devils...always whacking guys in the back of the knee's and gouging ribs...I'm surprised someone hasn't knocked him cold for all the crap he pulls.

I also remember his brother Rob getting his clock cleaned and having concussion problems when he first came into the league and he whined to the press about guys hitting too hard....call the whambulance Robbie....:p:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
You usually can't "prove" intent. You can only come to a logical conclusion based on the facts.

Exactly. Neidermayer along the boards? At an obtuse angle? Ok. But near the centre circle... Difficult to be conclusive.

Kruky

Jul 30, 2005
Ottawa
Maybe thats not like something Alfredson would normally do. However. Being down 2-1 in the series, getting out hit and cheap shots every chance the other team gets. This could have led him to do what he did. I'm not saying he did it on purpose, but the grounds for him to do it on purpose are there.

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
totally bush league and showing how classless alfie really is. how would sens fans feel if pronger (who i dont like either) or nieds took that cheapshot at alfie, heatly, spezza? i somehow think the reactions would be 100% different.

SouthernHockey

Jun 5, 2007
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the Senators or the Ducks. Frankly, I don't like either team. But I have to laugh at you Sens "supporters." Alf absolutely, positively, without any question or doubt shot that puck directly at Neidermeyer. Further, the Sens and their coach would be livid if the situation were reversed. And there can be no doubt that the NHL needs to evaluate the video and level some level of punishment in this circumstance. To get off scott (excuse the unintended pun) free, not even getting a third period penalty was an outrage. I love hockey and there is no place in hockey for that kind of action. So, stop making excuses and stop debating his intentions.....he shot it in anger and frustration and should be punished for sure. Like I said, I would love to see how the Sens would react if Pronger shot the puck at Spezza!! You'd be having seizures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad