Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
No way Alfie gets a suspension, did he give the Ducks something to rally behind? perphaps.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
It was a stupid thing to do and was probably done out of frustration and to aggravate Nieds, a guy who has a long history of battling with Alfie. I'm sure Alfie knows it was stupid and regrets it today. But he can't come out now and admit he did it intentionally because that would be an even dumber move.

I have a lot of respect for Alfie and I am a little dissapointed in him and I bet he feels the same about himself. I hate how this play just fuels the fire for all those Leafs fans that say he's dirty just because in 12 years in the league, he threw one borderline hit on that angel, tucker, and "mocked" throwing a stick like his buddy, sundin.

Anyways, this was one little play, with no harm done, but I think there's a lot of Alfie haters that won't let this one go any time soon.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If he was trying to send a message he might have shot it at Spezza and Heatley.

I think Neidermeyer was moving and caught the corner of his eye, distracting the shot. I did not see him target the guy and fire it at him. He was looking at Giguere and the clock.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I'm a sens fan and i think the leauge should review it.

I think he should get a game for it.

I don't understand it...

I'll get harrassed for this, and it hurts me to say it, because I think Alfie's awesome... but I do think it was intentional - and I just don't understand Whiskey Tango Foxtrot he was thinking...

He's never been fairly judged in the media - the stick throwing thing? Sundin laughed right after it, and defended Alfie (I think it was feakin hilarious)... the "Tucker incident" (along with the miraculous recovery) - part of the game, and missed by the refs... other than that .. what... What makes him anything but a classy, gritty, hard-working leader?

and then this...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was he thinking here?!!?

Two honest fans.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I'm not really going to speculate at this point.

No one really deserves to have a puck shot at them unless they're blocking a shot or they're a goalie.

But you're right in that Alfie isn't really known for this kind of behaviour, despite what the lynch mobs are saying.

What cost them the game was Chris Phillips' skate getting blown, Redden jumping on the ice in the bad position, Volchenkov playing the shooter instead of the passer on a 2 on 1 and Emery taking himself out of the net.

Then what cost them the game was not scoring in the ample time that was left after that play.

Not to mention, failing to score on 2 fairly lengthy 4 on 3 opportunities and only scoring 1 goal in a one-sided 1st period.

Let's not end up guilty of adding to the mythology.

You are right there, but it really angered the Ducks and just pumped them up for the third period. That was more of my point.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Two honest fans.

What?

Everyone on here is honest. Nobody is going to waste their time posting things they don't believe in on a message board.

When somebody says they think it wasn't intentional, it's what they actually think. That hard to believe, eh?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
If he was trying to send a message he might have shot it at Spezza and Heatley.

I think Neidermeyer was moving and caught the corner of his eye, distracting the shot. I did not see him target the guy and fire it at him. He was looking at Giguere and the clock.

Agree with this post. If he did it on purpose, he targeted the wrong guy.

But if he shot the puck and either hit him in the skate or missed him altogether,its not as though he shot it into his face or body in an attempt to injure.

So-completely out of charecter-yes. Giving fuel to all the haters-again yes, see Steve Simmons article on todays Sun.

The whole thing is being over hyped to a ridiculous degree, and one who has done that is Pierre McGuire. He a was on Team 1200 this morning -you would think Alfie was an axe murderer. Some of the other guys like Hull are in the west and dont see Ottawa often. Even Cherry gave Alfie the benfit of the doubt. But Pierre was an ass, really fueling the fires.

But he says its time for Sens fans to move on now-I guess Pierre doesnt want the Sens fans to get on his case for the way he threw Alfie to the wolves on NBC.

Pierre then did major sucking up to the "wonderful Sens fans"
What a jerk.

Come on -when Sundin hurled a broken stick with force at his own fans in a moment of frustration, he was instantly forgiven by the media- so out of chrarecter, no harm no foul etc etc. The only lingering anger was at Alfie for lampooning him,
yet this is being played up to an absurd degree.

Brandi

Mar 21, 2006
Ottawa
What?

Everyone on here is honest. Nobody is going to waste their time posting things they don't believe in on a message board.

When somebody says they think it wasn't intentional, it's what they actually think. That hard to believe, eh?
True that.
Some people's honesty is what they want to hear, or read for that matter.

ZenBaja

Oct 16, 2006
If it was intentional - I think it is hilarious and it makes me like the guy that much more.

Jaysfanatic*

But honestly, that was a pretty bush league thing to do. I don't know how anyone can argue that it was unintentional, everything he did was planned. He looked at the clock, then at Nieder and shot it right at him. Pure Bush. Not suspension worthy, just immature

freakin

Aug 11, 2005
behind enemy lines
my opinion is that the people that seriously think that's suspension worthy are ****ing morons. If people would JUST debate if Alfie intended to hit the player then this debate would be fine, but suspension talk makes people look ridiculous. To me this is a complete reaction/deflection to the Pronger suspension. Enjoy the win, don't cry like *****es about one of your players getting hit in the chest with a puck.

Ausnadian

Jan 4, 2007
Winnipeg for now
I think it's almost impossible to know exactly what his intentions were, and it is not in his nature to do that kind of thing, but even my friends who are not angry people get mad on the odd occaision.
Alfie has a great shot, and can pput it in the top of the net from an angle, so I think he hit it just where he wanted too, and I agree with an earlier poster that suggested Scott knew he kind of deserved it.

It's over with, certainly not a major deal, and IMO atleast one of the ASH line is showing SOME emotion right now.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
This is an emotional game. Alfie just showed he has emotions. I really think he should have shot the puck at Spezza or Heatley.

I don't think it was intentional.

As far as I'm concerned, Neidermyer can go **** himself.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
my opinion is that the people that seriously think that's suspension worthy are ****ing morons. If people would JUST debate if Alfie intended to hit the player then this debate would be fine, but suspension talk makes people look ridiculous. To me this is a complete reaction/deflection to the Pronger suspension. Enjoy the win, don't cry like *****es about one of your players getting hit in the chest with a puck.

Today I read one report(Steve Simmons who was doing a hatchet job on Alfie) that said he missed completely and another that said it was off his skate.
Where did you hear that it hit him in the chest?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
It was stupid but there was no harm done.

What do you mean there was no harm done? He riled up the entire Anaheim team.

After Penner scored what ended up being the winner he went right over to Alfredsson, got right in his face and said something to him. It just gave Anaheim more incentive.

If Alfredsson truly wants to lead the team he should be the one scoring the winning goal. Not going around riling up the other team with stupid plays.

I agree with the people who said that Niedermayer doesn't have a squeaky clean reputation and probably did something to get under his skin. But so what? It was clearly intentional on Alfredsson's part and an absolutely moronic play.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
This is the kind of sensational garbage that the media craves and laps up. Now we’re going to lose this series because Alfie supposedly shot the puck on puropose at Niedermayer? Really? Blowing lengthy 5 on 3's and 4 on 3's PP’s has nothing to do with it? Two of our top players going A.W.O.L in the Stanley cup final probably doesn’t factor in the equation?

God forbid the Ducks being a better TEAM having anything to do with them being up 3-1 in this series.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
After Penner scored what ended up being the winner he went right over to Alfredsson, got right in his face and said something to him. It just gave Anaheim more incentive.

It's a pretty weak link there. Penner scored on a broken play by Anton and Reds. He didn't overpower the Senators because of his utter rage at what Alfie said.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If he did it on purpose, it was a classless move, although I don't think it defines who Alfie is. Alfie obviously could have raised it a lot higher if it was on purpose and he really wanted to try and hurt Neidermeyer, although that is no excuse.

And Neidermeyer is the last guy to take a shot at. He's all class.

As anyone seen a quote from Alfie on this?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What do you mean there was no harm done? He riled up the entire Anaheim team.

Let's not get carried away here.

Anaheim was carrying the play in the 2nd and Heatley's goal pretty much came out of nowhere.

It's hard to say that momentum was shifted by the act when Anaheim was playing better anyway.

There are so many things that went wrong in this game that pinning it all on Alfredsson is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention, totally in keeping with every other loss that Ottawa has suffered.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Unfortunately I was listening to Sirius NHL live and heard something that concerns me about the next game. They were talking about the Alfredsson incident, and I will preface that while not happy what he did, I don't think it should be a suspension. They were saying that he should be suspended for the rest of the series. They also indicated that they talked to some of the healthy scratches i.e., Pronger, et al. and they had talked about how this incident won't be forgotten and hinted at retribution. But they were saying that if Anaheim was up 5-0 in the game or the Senators were that action would be taken against Alfredsson. Now, I started thinking about the Steve Moore incident and I hope to goodness no one does something stupid against Alfredsson. However, Burke is the common denominator from the Canuck incident and I hope he reels in his guys. Given the pulse is quite hot and given that the fourth line (without McAmmond most likely wouldn't be playing) wasn't playing much I would put out McGratton only to protect Alfredsson in case of a blow out. As much as some may not agree with Alfredsson actions I would hate to have a serious injury hamper anything for next year.

I don't like hearing the comments from players themselves and the media is making this bigger and bigger...this worries me.

Allsmokenopancake

Jul 21, 2005
Donegal, Ireland
Alfredsson knew what he was doing as much as pronger did.

It was a dirty play, well, maybe not so much dirty as it was classless.

This is the first year I've thought of Alfredsson showing true leadership in the playoffs, but what he done there was classless, and I think the league will be under pressure to suspend him.

They will see him look to the clock, reposition and shoot directly at Neidermeyer, and that can be interpreted as "intent to injure".

I think if he is suspended, thats the line they will use.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Anaheim players know that the best revenge would be to win the Stanley Cup at home in the next game.

I can't see them doing anything to jeopardize that.

freakin

Aug 11, 2005
behind enemy lines
Today I read one report(Steve Simmons who was doing a hatchet job on Alfie) that said he missed completely and another that said it was off his skate.
Where did you hear that it hit him in the chest?

hear? I did watch the game, it went off the side of his body actually. I mean that's what I thought I saw. Also watching the NBC feed... no ****ing wonder people are acting this way. Just classic chirping and regurgitation of what people hear on tv.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
They also indicated that they talked to some of the healthy scratches i.e., Pronger, et al. and they had talked about how this incident won't be forgotten and hinted at retribution. But they were saying that if Anaheim was up 5-0 in the game or the Senators were that action would be taken against Alfredsson.

Well it's nice to see that all this suspension time has really gotten through to Pronger.:shakehead

Let that moron run around throwing dirty hits, he'll only get a 1 game suspension out of it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->