Alfie's Shot at Niedermeyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I hope you feel better now.

I have been following the Sens for several years. And while I do not live in Ottawa and get to see Alfredsson's philanthropic work, which I am sure is great, I did see the hit on Tallinder and the childish shot at Niedermayer.

...how does the Tallinder hit have anything to do with this discussion? If we called everyone who has hit someone from behind in the league a dirty player, well then you'll have 95% of the league falling into the 'dirty' category. The other 5% would be goaltenders.

YouAreStupid

May 27, 2003
In the heat of battle, and because he just hates to lose, Alfie made a mistake. He made one friggin mistake. Having said that, there isn't a player in the NHL who has more dignity and honor than Daniel Alfredsson, and there are few NHL captains who have ever commanded more respect than he has over the years. Because of his unquestionable character on and off the ice...and his passion on the ice...Daniel Alfredsson will get a bye for what happened the other night.

lol...

ok....

BeantownBilly

Mar 26, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
Heartless, classless and disrespectful? Apparently you've never lived in the city of Ottawa and followed this team for more than the past week.

- Alfie donates his time and money to various charities, including hospital visits
- When the team was having financial trouble, Alfie, the CAPTAIN, was the first to say to the team "hold onto my paycheque until things get better"
- He has taken the brunt of all negative media attention in the past about playoff failures, and never once complained or diverted attention away from himself
- He took a big paycut in order to stay with the team

Alfie is a true team player, a great person, and a fantastic captain for the city of Ottawa. I'd donate my left kidney to him if he asked.

Very commendable but does not take away the fact the he pulled a gutless and dangerous stunt towards another player

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007
Ok, I'm real tired of this. The bashing is relentless. All of you act as if you've never made a dumb @ss move in your entire lives. I know I've made a few dumb moves and I'm sure I'll make more in my life.

I'm not excusing Alfie's actions, if he even meant to do it. I'm not a mind reader like most of you profess to be. You seem to know exact what his intentions were. I for one am not clear what they were.

the Ducks, although they are a great team and deserve to be winning, some of thier crosschecks and dirty plays, which includes Pronger's multiple suspensions, are suddenly overlooked and trivialized.

I have nothing against Neidermyer but he too has been suspended in his career for dumb @ss moves. No one is guilt free.

This entire incident has become a venue for angry hockey fans to lash out. I think the name calling and the outlandish assumptions being made is what's the classes part in all of this.

yes, what Alfie did was wrong, if he indeed did it on purpose. REally move on with it.

It's like a dog with a bone, some just won't let it go. IT's become a bastion for the spread of anger and hatred and it's become pretty pathetic.

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
This thread defined by a smilie:

265.gif

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Well said Pink Panther. I spoke my piece. That's enough from me. (WHEW!!)

We all seem to forget that, back in the '99-'00 season, Scott Niedermayer whacked Peter Worrell in the head with his stick. It was appalling. And this happened less than a month after McSorley swung his stick and knocked out Brashear.

Memory is so temporary.

Anyway.......huh?

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
Not to mention the fact that McAmmond isn't playing and Niedermeyer definitely is.

Unfortunately, this is not the most significant point when comparing the instigators of the two incidents. I am sure that neither wished to have another player seriously injured. Similarly, note that both Pronger and Alfredsson:

1. Play with great intensity which sometimes overcomes their best judgment.
2. Have some history of questionable hits.
3. Probably believed their actions were borderline or, if over the line, were unintentionally so.
4. Actually intended to do what they set out to do, though neither executed correctly.

There is no distinction here.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Unfortunately, this is not the most significant point when comparing the instigators of the two incidents. I am sure that neither wished to have another player seriously injured. Similarly, note that both Pronger and Alfredsson:

1. Play with great intensity which sometimes overcomes their best judgment.
2. Have some history of questionable hits.
3. Probably believed their actions were borderline or, if over the line, were unintentionally so.
4. Actually intended to do what they set out to do, though neither executed correctly.

There is no distinction here.

1. yes
2. not really Pronger has had suspensions (in my opinion it can't be questionable if the league thinks otherwise) Alfredsson has had questionable hits but has never been penalized by suspensions.
3. yes but one is based more on ego and one more on reality. Pronger has yet to take responsibility after any of his suspensions (in my opinion this is more ego as he has never taken responsibility of the consequences of his actions). Alfredsson has always been blunt and honest even when people don't want to hear it.
4. unknown...some argue Pronger wanted to elimnate a successful player...some argue that Alfredsson intended to injure as welll...one was more successful if you believe this line of thinking. Some argue that neither wanted to injure anyone...however, one did injure someone and the other didn't.

There is a distinction because one player (Niedermayer) is playing the game and one person (in all liklihood will not) (McAmmond).

Kruky

Jul 30, 2005
Ottawa
I remember at the beggining of the season. A bunch of people on this board wanted Alfie traded. :shakehead

How quickly things changes

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I really don't get why people have problems with him because of that. He apologized for it and he now wishes he could take it back.

These people have obviously never played in the scf. Frustration and anger is a hell of a thing. These players are human. It can be really hard to control your emotions sometimes.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Shooting a puck at someone is pretty ****ing crazy though

Alfie has a few of the moments where he snapped in pretty epic faashion: Game 6 against the Rangers in 2012 while on the bench or in the second period against the Leafs in that terrible Game 7 in 2004 where he violently swung his stick at a Leafs players

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Alfie has a few of the moments where he snapped in pretty epic faashion: Game 6 against the Rangers in 2012 while on the bench or in the second period against the Leafs in that terrible Game 7 in 2004 where he violently swung his stick at a Leafs players

I again have to say that it can be hard to control your actions when your frustrated or angry.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Remember when domi was beating up on magnus arvedson? Alfie came in from behind to 2 hand slash in the neck/decapite domi. Some leaf player grabbed the stick mid swing.

I wonder what would have happened had the leaf player not grabbed it. 30 game suspension?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I again have to say that it can be hard to control your actions when your frustrated or angry.

Doesn't make it right

If Niedermeyer takes that puck to the face it could have been awful

It was a horrible thing to do, emotions don't excuse it, they merely explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad