Alfie Rises (This is awesome)

TheOriginalSilf*

Totally agree with pretty much all of this post. Hardy carried Bane, a character that wasn't handled properly by the writers. Gave Bane a significant presence that the script couldn't.

And that's the thing with my opinion on Tom Hardy's performance as Bane: I wasn't impressed. However, this has much more to do with the overall character itself that gave Tom Hardy very, very little to work with. I feel with how Bane was written (and especially with the voice work) the role would be almost as effective if any other actor would of taken the part. I absolutely love Tom Hardy as an actor (if you're a fan of his, Bronson is a must see; absolutely fantastic acting), but I feel that he wasn't given enough to do with this character to really show off his true potential and true acting capabilities.

This can also be echoed for JGL's character.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And that's the thing with my opinion on Tom Hardy's performance as Bane: I wasn't impressed. However, this has much more to do with the overall character itself that gave Tom Hardy very, very little to work with. I feel with how Bane was written (and especially with the voice work) the role would be almost as effective if any other actor would of taken the part. I absolutely love Tom Hardy as an actor (if you're a fan of his, Bronson is a must see; absolutely fantastic acting), but I feel that he wasn't given enough to do with this character to really show off his true potential and true acting capabilities.

This can also be echoed for JGL's character.

Oh, man, don't get me started.

I'll try to be as vague as possible in case anyone hasn't seen it, but I suppose mild spoilers are ahead if you're willing to read into things.

... That ending, where he finds the thing that was left for him? That was some bad writing right there. There was no reason to make the "reveal" at the end of the movie... The way it was written, JGL's character worked SO much better as a stand-alone police officer. It's like, somewhere along the line, after the movie was completely written, someone said "you know what would be cool? If Gordon-Levitt's character was actually that other guy all along!", and Nolan's response was simply "sure, we could do that."

JGL was a very well written cop. He didn't need to be the other thing too, and I think the overall character really suffered as a result. It just felt far too tacked on in order for them to be able to pull the "Surprise! Now you know we can make 3 more movies focusing on JGL!" ending. Like, you're 3 movies in, and you know this is going to be the last one starring Bale, officially ending the trilogy, and JUST NOW you want to introduce this angle? Sloppy fan-service writing.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
NEmu7cGAhwaQpq_1_1.jpg

samwise_397139.jpg

6010392.jpg

28020713.jpg

internet-memes-memebase-star-wars-the-jingle.png

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I hate batman movies soooo much that i didn't bother to see any. I am now expecting my life to be threatened.

YOU'RE ****ING DEAD.

I like The Dark Knight Rises the most of the three.

I rewatched Begins and Dark Knight the other day and I must say they have not aged well at all, especially Begins which was a pain to watch after the great opening.

Bane was more impressive than the Joker as a vilain even if Joker is more intriguing. Part of Bane's appeal is that he is the antithesis to the Joker; I'll always remember how the Joker tells Batman "did you really think I would let the fate of Gotham be decided in a fist fight with you?" where as Bane does just that and beats the crap out of Batman.

At the end of the day however, none of the Batman movies are good to rewatch I find: see them once and be done with it.

Eaaaaaaaasyyyyyyyyyy there. The joker was one of the best performances I have ever seen on the silver screen....ever; and i'm a huge movie fanatic.

TheOriginalSilf*

Oh, man, don't get me started.

I'll try to be as vague as possible in case anyone hasn't seen it, but I suppose mild spoilers are ahead if you're willing to read into things.

... That ending, where he finds the thing that was left for him? That was some bad writing right there. There was no reason to make the "reveal" at the end of the movie... The way it was written, JGL's character worked SO much better as a stand-alone police officer. It's like, somewhere along the line, after the movie was completely written, someone said "you know what would be cool? If Gordon-Levitt's character was actually that other guy all along!", and Nolan's response was simply "sure, we could do that."

JGL was a very well written cop. He didn't need to be the other thing too, and I think the overall character really suffered as a result. It just felt far too tacked on in order for them to be able to pull the "Surprise! Now you know we can make 3 more movies focusing on JGL!" ending. Like, you're 3 movies in, and you know this is going to be the last one starring Bale, officially ending the trilogy, and JUST NOW you want to introduce this angle? Sloppy fan-service writing.

Absolutely 100% this.

Not to mention how JGL's character just so happens to know Bruce Wayne is Batman because... he had this look about him? Righttttttttt.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I heavily disagree with pretty much all of the above, but especially the bolded. I felt that Bane was done pretty horribly, personally. Aside from his truly awful voice altering, he's just not all that interesting. His entire backstory is rushed and he just ends up being nothing but some lackey for Talia that is killed off easily and out of nowhere.

To each their own though. All a matter of personal opinion, but I still believe that TDK was shafted not getting a Best Picture nomination in 2008, and for me, it holds up beautifully. Same could be said for Batman Begins but to a lesser extent.

I agree that Bane, as a character, was very lacking.

But in the optic of a vilain, he's one of the better ones of recent memory: I found the mismatch between his voice and his imposing physique to really push home the uneasiness the character is meant to portray.
He also goes up against Batman and wins, which instantly makes him far more threatening than the Joker or Ra's-al-Ghul to the viewer and heightens the tension felt throughout the movie.

For me the diametrical opposition of Bane and the Joker really made the whole experience interesting: whereas the Joker is a schemer who never goes up against Batman directly, Bane on the other hand is very open about what his plan and goes toe-to-toe with Batman and crushes him (that scene is easily one of the best of the trilogy). The social commentary on the rich vs poor and how such a dichotomy is easily highjacked was also very cool, even if it was just surface level: it did give a bit more to think about.

No doubt that the Talia twist was awful, that Bane's death was equally disappointing and his backstory was terrible (but on the same topic, the Joker had none so I'd say both antagonists are on equal footing in that regard) but I found Rises to be the most engaging of the movies: I was on the edge of my seat when Bane breaks Batman was rooting for the good guys at the end as if I was child.

The only good thing about Begins now is how Gotham was portrayed: the city was a lot more impressive in the first movie but the abuse of one liners really made watching it cringe inducing to the point where I will not watch that movie again.
Dark Knight was epic but watching it again felt woefully lacking, just as I'm certain that rewatching Rises will: those movies wow factor is a main driving force and once that is gone the movies are bare bones.

On the topic of movies The Hobbit was super awesome, I did not think I would like it but I got way into the movie and cannot get the main theme out of my head since seeing it on opening night.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
i dont know guys maybe ur thinking too much. after i saw the dark knight rises, which i thought was the best of the 3, at least the one that got my attention the most, i saw the 1st and 2nd again and they were still awesome... and im sure that when i re-watch the dark knight rises itll be just as good

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
i dont know guys maybe ur thinking too much. after i saw the dark knight rises, which i thought was the best of the 3, at least the one that got my attention the most, i saw the 1st and 2nd again and they were still awesome... and im sure that when i re-watch the dark knight rises itll be just as good

I've re-watched TDK often, and it's still a great movie to me. Batman Begins, on the other hand... not as much. It definitely loses some luster during re-screenings.

In all honesty, I think TDK was a great movie, and Batman Begins really only has value in that it serves to set up TDK. Begins wasn't a fantastic movie, but it was able to put all the pieces in play to allow TDK to just get into telling a great story. It's the problem with too many Comic Book movies, IMO: too much time is spent on the origin of the character, and not enough on telling an engaging, gripping story. TDK worked so well because everyone already knew the premise. They knew most of the characters. Nolan was allowed to just jump into the story without having to waste the first 45 minutes on back-story.

I mean, for anyone who has ever read comics: is the first issue EVER as good as the stories that follow? No. The first issue of almost any comic is origin. The best you can hope for is that the reader says "This is good premise, and now I want to see where they go from here".

It's why I get SO angry at sloppy sequels. Movie sequels should ALWAYS be good, because the original movie has already laid down the background: the director/writer are free from having to dedicate half the movie to a set up, they can just start telling a great story because the audience is already familiar with the characters/ motivation/basic plot lines. Of course, most times, sequels are awful because they're just money-grabs, and not a new engaging story.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Heh, Batman Begins is my favorite of the three, go figure.:) I just like the feel of it, it's so dark, there's like, almost zero daylight scenes in it, it's the only movie where it feels like Gotham city.

TDKR did it's job I guess. I hated the ending though, classic case of dumbing it down to please the USA audience. I'll try not to spoil too much here for those who haven't seen it, but the final scene of the movie should have been Alfred sitting down at that coffee shop with the camera strictly pointed at his face with a look of absolute shock at what or who he just saw and *bam* roll credits.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I've re-watched TDK often, and it's still a great movie to me. Batman Begins, on the other hand... not as much. It definitely loses some luster during re-screenings.

In all honesty, I think TDK was a great movie, and Batman Begins really only has value in that it serves to set up TDK. Begins wasn't a fantastic movie, but it was able to put all the pieces in play to allow TDK to just get into telling a great story. It's the problem with too many Comic Book movies, IMO: too much time is spent on the origin of the character, and not enough on telling an engaging, gripping story. TDK worked so well because everyone already knew the premise. They knew most of the characters. Nolan was allowed to just jump into the story without having to waste the first 45 minutes on back-story.

I mean, for anyone who has ever read comics: is the first issue EVER as good as the stories that follow? No. The first issue of almost any comic is origin. The best you can hope for is that the reader says "This is good premise, and now I want to see where they go from here".

It's why I get SO angry at sloppy sequels. Movie sequels should ALWAYS be good, because the original movie has already laid down the background: the director/writer are free from having to dedicate half the movie to a set up, they can just start telling a great story because the audience is already familiar with the characters/ motivation/basic plot lines. Of course, most times, sequels are awful because they're just money-grabs, and not a new engaging story.

like i said dude i think u might be overthinking there really is a story in batman begins u just have to see it. yes it presents the story but if you just watch the movie with an open mind u see gotham, crime filled city with organized crime bosses running the town. no one is there to stand up to them and batman comes in after his intense training where he outsmarts raz alghul. and ya etc.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
like i said dude i think u might be overthinking there really is a story in batman begins u just have to see it. yes it presents the story but if you just watch the movie with an open mind u see gotham, crime filled city with organized crime bosses running the town. no one is there to stand up to them and batman comes in after his intense training where he outsmarts raz alghul. and ya etc.

Dude, I know that Batman Begins has a story. :laugh:

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it's not the best Batman story arc out there.

TheOriginalSilf*

I actually still love Batman Begins. It's inferior to TDK, but then again, very very few films aren't.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I actually still love Batman Begins. It's inferior to TDK, but then again, very very few films aren't.

TDK > BB >> TDKR

i'm a huge nolan fan but you guys have been spot on. so disappointed in the last batman film. i wanted to like it, but i just couldn't.

i've seen TDK many times. my favourite movie in the past 5 years.

TheOriginalSilf*

TDK > BB >> TDKR

i'm a huge nolan fan but you guys have been spot on. so disappointed in the last batman film. i wanted to like it, but i just couldn't.

i've seen TDK many times. my favourite movie in the past 5 years.

I agree with everything about this post. The only film these past 5 years that rivals TDK for me is Nolan's other film, Inception.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
True Grit? No Country for Old Man? There Will be Blood? Black Swan? Let the Right One in?
True Grit: I don't think it was a "best in pat 5 years movie", but it was quite fun and I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan. :nod:
No Country: :yo::nod::handclap:
There Will Be Blood: DDL is one of the top 3 actors of our generation. :laugh:
Black Swan: Thought it would be awful. Totally was not awful. Maybe not one of the best in a half decade, but one that was 1000% better than my expectations. I find Aranofsky to "miss" WAY more than he "hits". Was pleasantly surprised.
Let The Right One In: Still haven't seen it (darned kids)

The Hurt Locker?
:whaaa?:
Yuk.
Quite possibly the least deserving "Best Picture" of all time (IMO), in quite possibly the worst year for movies in the last three decades (IMO). To this day, I have no idea how it even got nominated, let alone won the damned award.

1999 NHL Entry Draft Class >>> 2010 Oscar season

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
:whaaa?:
Yuk.
Quite possibly the least deserving "Best Picture" of all time (IMO), in quite possibly the worst year for movies in the last three decades (IMO). To this day, I have no idea how it even got nominated, let alone won the damned award.

I agree that Hurt Locker was overrated but I still thought it was excellent.

For the record my pick for best movie of all time is Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love. Absolutetly mesmerizing visually, stunning music and great acting: I have not met anyone who did not get enthralled by it.

I have a very soft sport for True Grit, the dialogue in that movie is outstanding

TheOriginalSilf*

True Grit? No Country for Old Man? There Will be Blood? Black Swan? Let the Right One in? The Hurt Locker?

My rankings

The Dark Knight: A+

True Grit: Very good movie with some great performances, but it doesn't rank up there with TDK for me. I have True Grit at an A-.

No Country for Old Men: This could rival TDK, however, I've yet to seen it in it's entirety (a crime, I know). I have heard fantastic things about said film and should get around to seeing it ASAP.

There Will Be Blood: *See No Country for Old Men*

Black Swan: I loved this film. When I first saw it, it left me in awe. I think after re-watching it several times, it's not AS fantastic as I once perceived it to be, but I still love that film. A.

Let The Right One In: Another film I've yet to see, however, this is different from that of No Country or There Will Be Blood. This film doesn't seem too appealing to me and I've heard that it was a good film, but I doubt it would come close to TDK standards for me.

Yuk.

I'm beginning to realize that Bonk and I have very, very similar taste in film. I saw The Hurt Locker the day of the 2010 Oscars. I was looking forward to it and kept hearing great things. I was definitely interested.

What a bomb. No pun intended.

To this day, I can't stand this film because of how much hype it got. I don't understand how the hell that movie could win an Oscar for BEST PICTURE!? The nomination itself felt out of place, especially for a film that bombed so badly at the box office. There was ONE good thing about that film, in my opinion, and that was the acting of both Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie. Other than that, I hate that film. I probably hate it more than it deserves, but seeing it win the Oscar over much, much more deserving films ticked me off.

To this day, I still think it won purely on the content of the film. I'll just keep on pretending that District 9 won. :laugh:

EDIT: Oh, and on the topic of personal favorite films of all-time, I'll let my Nolan fanboy-ism shine on some more with Memento. Closely followed by American History X.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->