Alfie & Phillips gone, who gets the C and A's

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Ughhh Spezza CANNOT get the 'C'

He would be the one of the worst captains in the NHL. Spezza is not a motivator, he is not someone who inspires people; worst of all he is not someone that the rest of the team should look at to lead by example.

That is the most defining quality in a captain; leading by example. This is what makes Alfie such an amazing captain. Spezza, for all his spectacular talents, makes too many bonehead decisions and rarely shows the kinds of good decisions that others can learn from.

We have had this discussion for a long time on this board. Spezza is in line to get the 'C' and if he does not - he might be seriously pissed about it which could lead to problems. But just because your the most talented veteran on the team does not mean you should get the 'C' by default. I see a lot more leadership potential in a someone like Karlsson than Spezza.

I think the best case scenario is to "retire" the 'C' for a couple seasons in honor of Alfie, and allow Karlsson to start moving into that role naturally before making it officially his.

TheOriginalSilf*

Pretty close to what should happen.

Alfredsson is so epochal and ingrained as captain that a simple "A" sharing might be best for the first season. GIve "A" to Karlsson, Spezza and Neil or Phillips then let the leadership settle itself over the next few years. I'm cold on Spezza with a "C" as it hasn't worked out well for skill guys here in the past. Also leery of people constantly comparing him to Alfredsson "Well Alfredsson was fantastic two-way, why isn't Spezza? Alfredsson stays here in the off-season, why is Spezza in Toronto?" and so on.

If I HAD to have one, I'd go:

C) Karlsson (Silfverberg down the road)
A) Neil
A) Spezza or Phillips

Did Spezza **** your Mom and kill your Dad or something? Every single thread or topic involving Spezza, you continuously hate on the guy.

The CORRECT answer will be:
C - Spezza
A - Phillips
A - Karlsson or Neil

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I honestly believe we are close to being a realistic cup contender minus some depth at D. I can see Alfie sticking around another year and Spezza signing another contract.

Eventually Karlsson will have the C.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Should go to the guy who will be the face of the franchise for the next 15+ years. Unfortunately, it will go to Spezza.

I would list the Sens' leaders in this order

1. Alfie

2. Phillips/Spezza
3. Neil

4. Methot - give him time/Gonchar
5. Karlsson/Michalek

6.Turris/Latendresse/Silfverberg/Smith
7. Others

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
When Alfie got the C its not like he was some crazy leader. He was thrust into that role. This talk of retiring the C because of Alfie is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.
Nobody retired the C after all kinds of greats retired but theres talk of retiring it for Alfie? Unbelievable

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

He would be the one of the worst captains in the NHL. Spezza is not a motivator, he is not someone who inspires people; worst of all he is not someone that the rest of the team should look at to lead by example.

That is the most defining quality in a captain; leading by example. This is what makes Alfie such an amazing captain. Spezza, for all his spectacular talents, makes too many bonehead decisions and rarely shows the kinds of good decisions that others can learn from.

We have had this discussion for a long time on this board. Spezza is in line to get the 'C' and if he does not - he might be seriously pissed about it which could lead to problems. But just because your the most talented veteran on the team does not mean you should get the 'C' by default. I see a lot more leadership potential in a someone like Karlsson than Spezza.

I think the best case scenario is to "retire" the 'C' for a couple seasons in honor of Alfie, and allow Karlsson to start moving into that role naturally before making it officially his.

While I would have agreed with you in the past, I think things have now changed & that the momentum to make Spezza the next captain has gotten to big to stop. I would also say that over the last two yrs under Maclean, Spezza seems to have matured more & played much better including defensively. Being married & having kids I'm sure has also had a beneficial effect on him. He is well spoken, tows the company line, is more mature & IMO is probably the next guy in line to be the captain of this team & should be.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
Spezza has to take the C. He has been in line for it for along time. Were just not hot on Spezza yet because he hasnt been great this year.
Karlsson will get the A along with Neil.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
While I would have agreed with you in the past, I think things have now changed & that the momentum to make Spezza the next captain has gotten to big to stop. I would also say that over the last two yrs under Maclean, Spezza seems to have matured more & played much better including defensively. Being married & having kids I'm sure has also had a beneficial effect on him. He is well spoken, tows the company line, is more mature & IMO is probably the next guy in line to be the captain of this team & should be.

You make some valid points. We can only hope that these changes translate into natural leadership role.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You make some valid points. We can only hope that these changes translate into natural leadership role.

Agreed, but his giveaways drive me crazy too, then on the very next shift after yelling at him, he makes a spectacular play & Ottawa scores. What can you say to that?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

None of us know what it's like inside that locker room. All I know is that publicly in the past Spezza has stated that he's wanted to take a bigger leadership role with team. I doubt they'd give him an A just for ***** and giggles.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Once Alfie and Phillips are gone:

C: Spezza
A: Karlsson
A: Neil/Michalek (or maybe Methot)

Silfverberg will probably get an A (or maybe even the C) eventually, and if Zibby develops well I could see him getting an A.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

****** thing is you might be right about spez.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

This is ludicrous. You aren't in the locker room with Spezza, you have no idea what his leadership qualities are like. This whole thread is pointless since no one here has any idea what goes on in the locker room.

General Granny*

WTF, Never go full Pejorative Slur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad