Alexis Lafreniere or Kaapo Kakko?

Who will be the better player long term?

• Total voters

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Neither will come close to their pre-draft expectations, but Kakko has looked better, by quite a bit, so far.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Kakko actually shows flashes of raw talent indicative of a 2nd overall pick.

All Lafreniere has shown me is he can finish a 2-on-1 play.

I'm not sure, but long term I think Kakko will eventually blossom.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's Kakko for sure. He's pretty clearly the better player today, and I think his upside is actually a good amount higher as well.

He's put together shifts where he looks like the reincarnation of Peter Forsberg below the goal line. As his confidence continues to build and he grows into his frame I think he's going to become a dominant power forward.

Lafreniere really hasn't shown much to be excited about.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Kakko definitely looks better by a mile right now. His actual performance to numbers ratio is incredibly off.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Kakko looks ok most games (he has off games too), while with Laf it is kind of opposite. Hard to predict future for either though..

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I feel Lafreniere would benefit from time in the AHL/other league. He seems really raw. Kakko looks promising and is the safer bet. If I had to choose from the two I`d say Lafreniere have a higher ceiling though.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Kakko has an identity - he's a power forward who can protect the puck, get rebounds, deke around the goalie with incredible hands, and force turnovers. He'll score most of his goals near the crease and draw a ton of attention from the opposing D when carrying the puck which will allow linemates to get open. He's great in all three zones and is even starting to create offense for himself and teammates at times. He generates more chances to score than Lafreniere but buries them less often. He also kills penalties unlike Laf.

Laf does not have as much of an identity yet - he has a much better shot than Kakko (both wrister and backhand by a long shot), has less ability to protect the puck, tends to score his goals on an odd-man rush or via rebounds, and is less good in the neutral zone and defensive zone. He occasionally makes some elite-level passes but really can't drive play by creating for himself and his teammates. If he gets the opportunity to score, he does tend to bury it though. He seems to always know how to position himself well for 2-on-1s too. He struggles to get open to provide puck support to teammates and doesn't think the game at an NHL level yet.

I think Kakko is going to develop into a far more well-rounded and unique player and knows how to play to his strengths. I think Laf is trying a bit too much to be like Panarin or maybe Strome and seems a bit unsure of what to do out there to create offensive chances. Even if he does start scoring, I see Laf as someone who needs an elite center to set him up to have success.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Laf

All the "bust" talk is absolutely ridiculous. No, he has't been unbelievable, but 18 goals in 85 games as a kid is nothing to sneeze at. I still like Laf's potential.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Laf

All the "bust" talk is absolutely ridiculous. No, he has't been unbelievable, but 18 goals in 85 games as a kid is nothing to sneeze at. I still like Laf's potential.

18 goals (with a 17% shooting percentage) and only 29 points, with many of his goals being tap ins courtesy of great plays by his teammates.

That's pretty brutal. Most 19 year olds would not be playing in the NHL if they were struggling so much.

Reactions: BavelPure

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
18 goals (with a 17% shooting percentage) and only 29 points, with many of his goals being tap ins courtesy of great plays by his teammates.

That's pretty brutal. Most 19 year olds would not be playing in the NHL if they were struggling so much.
I don’t disagree that lafreniere has not lived up to the expectations, but what you said isn’t true either. Jack Hughes had played 117 games and only had 18 goals. He was never sent down or anything. Maybe he should have been though, I’m really not sure. Scoring goals in the nhl is difficult

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
All I can ever think of regarding these guys is just how deadly the Rags would be if they had met their expectations. The team has been real good despite them being disappointing.

KK has shown more so far.

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
Laf had higher pedigree and hype for sure, however when I watch his games he doesn't stand out. Some of these super young guys who go right into the league don't produce but you can see the talent is apparent. For example guys like Hughes, Dach, Makinnon, Stutzle, Zegras didn't score huge numbers early, but watching them you can see they stand out from the rest of the players on the ice.

Kakko seems to do this in spurts, Laf not so much.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Kakko looks ok like he can at least be the type of player that nuck fans think Podkolzin could be so him

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t disagree that lafreniere has not lived up to the expectations, but what you said isn’t true either. Jack Hughes had played 117 games and only had 18 goals. He was never sent down or anything. Maybe he should have been though, I’m really not sure. Scoring goals in the nhl is difficult
Jack Hughes was a high impact player at 19, showing significant progress (he had 8 points in his first 9 games as a sophomore before getting COVID, causing him to lose much of the muscle mass he had spent the extended off-season adding).

Lafreniere hasn't looked good. I don't see any real progress in his game vs his rookie season, and his production has declined.

Most second year players who show little to no progression after a below average rookie season are sent down. Especially when they are as young as Lafreniere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad