Waived: Alexey Marchenko on waivers

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Leafs have been up against contract limit all along, guessing this isn't about this player at all, it's about thinning that overage

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i was getting tired of ambushing every thread by offering marchenko for future considerations; hopefully he signs with a khl team and the leafs get much needed cap space

Skippy73

Oct 15, 2016
Bikini Bottom
If Connor Brown is gonna sign for under 4 million, this move doesn't have any effect on it.

Leafs aren't against the contract limit either (49/50).

Oh okay, I was under the impression it was the contract limit that was the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

JVRbot

May 7, 2017
And I wish him the best of luck with whatever franchise signs him to that as it will not be the Leafs unless he signs for his current salary, and even then he might get moved in a few years.

The Leafs would be stupid not to sign him for that money.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hope this means JVR gets his deserved $8mill pr year.

8 million for JVR, I love JVR but on what basis does he deserve 8 million? because if he does deserve 8 Marner and Nylander are both worth 12 and they aren't worth 12

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs have been up against contract limit all along, guessing this isn't about this player at all, it's about thinning that overage

Incorrect.
They have been at 49/50 for this entire time.

They will eventually sign Brown, but then they would be over a barrel with other GMs-Lou doesn't want that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so if the contract is mutually terminated then how much of the cap hit is wiped clear? because I know in a buyout you pay, in most cases 2/3 of the contract spread over twice the length

but this doesn't sound like a buy out this sounds like they both want nothing to do with each other and so they terminate the contract.

if the Leafs just saved 1.45 million that is HUGE

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
so if the contract is mutually terminated then how much of the cap hit is wiped clear? because I know in a buyout you pay, in most cases 2/3 of the contract spread over twice the length

but this doesn't sound like a buy out this sounds like they both want nothing to do with each other and so they terminate the contract.

if the Leafs just saved 1.45 million that is HUGE

Mutual termination means the cap hit is removed.
It's not really a 1.45M save, it's effectively a save of 425k (which would be Marchenko's cap hit if he were to be buried in the AHL).

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Put up a lot of points playing in the MHL with Nikita Kucherov and Nikita Gusev.

Never translated beyond that.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Mutual termination means the cap hit is removed.
It's not really a 1.45M save, it's effectively a save of 425k (which would be Marchenko's cap hit if he were to be buried in the AHL).

This is assuming they were going to send him down. It's 1.45 million off of the cap no matter how you look at it.

Hopefully Fehr and Marincin are next.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is assuming they were going to send him down. It's 1.45 million off of the cap no matter how you look at it.

Hopefully Fehr and Marincin are next.

Plus the contract spot, which is probably bigger.

Cap is 'meh' to them, since he was likely going to stick around anyways.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I dont think Fehr would agree to this.

Speculation with Marchenko is the KHL deal is going to be very close in value to what he is getting paid now, and he is still young enough where not playing seriously hurts his long term earning capacity.

Where would Fehr go that would make sense? Maybe a team who sees him as a 13th F at 1 million would be interested, but at 31 with his best days behind him is it worth the risk?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I dont think Fehr would agree to this.

Speculation with Marchenko is the KHL deal is going to be very close in value to what he is getting paid now, and he is still young enough where not playing seriously hurts his long term earning capacity.

Where would Fehr go that would make sense? Maybe a team who sees him as a 13th F at 1 million would be interested, but at 31 with his best days behind him is it worth the risk?

My bad - when I said Fehr I didn't mean in this same way they appear to be getting rid of Marchenko. I was talking in terms of some sort of trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->