Alexei Yashin Play Style

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Big, strong, good hands, good shot. The closest comparable I can think of would be Sundin.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I thought Sundin too, but he would blast it/slap it more from the outside circles whereas Yashin felt more like a slot guy.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Another comparable I can come up with is... Lemieux. Both looked quite nonchalant. One of them actually was.

Reactions: flipp

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yashin also felt angular and non-fluid. Didn’t help that he had that deadpan face.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This one is a pretty big “what could have been” case.

Injuries played a role, but that beef with the Sens was also very detrimental.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Aside from his off-ice issues the guy was a good player. Had he not been such an enigma I think he could have been a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: LeTigre

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't realize he'd ended up Hart-2 once in his career. Sandwiched between Jagr and Hasek in 98/99. That's not bad company.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He was a somewhat predictable, big body with strong stickhandling skills and a wicked shot.

He was awesome around the left face-off circle in the offensive zone. He could use his big butt to play keep away until he could pass the puck to left-shooting Steve Duchesne on the right point, left-shooting McEachern shifting over to RW or open up a snapshot for himself at the top of the circle. He was predictable, but opponents couldn't stop him easily. He was still a solid offensive player on the right side of the ice, but there was a big difference. He was a slow, lazy back checker.

IMO, he should have been converted to LW much earlier than he was.

Didn't realize he'd ended up Hart-2 once in his career. Sandwiched between Jagr and Hasek in 98/99. That's not bad company.

He wasn't the 2nd best player in the league that year. The vote was a condemnation of the rest of the team.
It's a stark reminder that the Hart Trophy is not an MVP trophy awarded to the best player in the league.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Getzlaf but with a better shot and not as efficient a passer perhaps? Then again, he wasn't physical either. I am just thinking because they shot the same way, played the same position and were both big and seemingly slower moving guys (but could skate).

He really screwed himself over with the Sens though. He picked a really, really bad time to demand his contract gets re-negotiated. Yes he had a great year in 1999 but he was held pointless in a sweep in the playoffs. Mike Peca just smothered him that spring. That's a bad time to ask for a raise when you can't even get a point against a low seeded team. But alas...............

Also, after the year he held out (with a contract) he had 88 points in 2001, but his usual horrible postseason (1 point in a sweep). Does anyone remember a thing about Yashin in 2001? I don't. This has got to be the quietest 88 points in NHL history. All I remember is that he looked very disinterested since a judge ordered him back.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
The opposite of a "big game player." Infuriatingly passive with the game on the line. One of my least favorite Russian players ever.

A competent two-way player too. Killed penalties.

His Turin line with Kozlov and Ovechkin was good though.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->