Alexei Semenov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Full or skill, lazy as hell. Very bad mind set. Wan't given a new contract by the Ducks so he' an UFA. Now signed in Russian with Omsk, don't think he'll go back to north america anytime soon. Maybe never.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Naru said:
Full or skill, lazy as hell. Very bad mind set. Wan't given a new contract by the Ducks so he' an UFA. Now signed in Russian with Omsk, don't think he'll go back to north america anytime soon. Maybe never.
Semenov a Duck ? May be you mean Smirnov ?

OILBEEF

Top 4 D. Probably paired with Pronger. Big upside - big dude. Chara type. Hoping he develops.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I like him. Big man with calm feet and he's a plus player. Hasn't played really tough minutes but he also isn't playing the softest minutes on the team.

His offense didn't come with him from junior, imo he'll probably end up doing a little better than he has so far when the game slows down for him. Remember, he hasn't played 100 NHL games yet.

He needs to play with more of an edge or he's going to be in the pressbox some nights again this winter. MacT talked about "twin towers" with Pronger and Alexei on the blueline, but I don't buy it. Semenov might get that kind of chance in camp, but it's very unlikely he (or Bergeron) will spend much time on the top 4 (Pronger, Smith, Staios, I'd guess Ulanov who has been very effective, maybe Cross).

Semenov is the likely candidate to be elevated into the top 4, and that could happen as the season wears on. Obviously we haven't seen these guys in a year and he may have matured a little since 03-04.

But last time we saw him Semenov had all the tools to be an effective Dman in the NHL. Size, calm feet, has mobility. He lacks some intensity, needs a mean streak, and that will keep him 5-7 on the depth chart.

jmo

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
hopefully he is ready to play in a top 4 role this season, needs a good camp 1st of all, as LT said he really needs to develop a mean streak and use that big body of his to be effective, he has a huge slap shot that needs a quicker release to actually use it on the NHL level, I believe his offense will come around in another 2-3 years as he matures.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
Русский Фэнбой - просыпайся! хватит спать!!!! Насчет Смирнова ты прав, столько таланта, но просто НОЛЬ мотивации........

Semenov had a very good year in Russia in 2004-05 with SKA. He was one of Mikhailov's favorite go to guys on defense. Lack of a break puts him at the top of the heap, since he will probably be in better shape than the other guys.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Semenov has everything you could want in a defenceman. He's huge (6'6", 215lbs), can skate (was the second fastest skater in the Oilers' skills competition after Jason Chimera, who set an NHL record with his time), has a booming shot (105mph at the same skills competition), and is very solid defensively. The only real knocks on his game are the lack of a mean streak (which playing along side Ulanov last season helped a lot), and the fact that his shot takes longer to get off than it should.

It would be foolish to expect much from him offensively, because he's always been more of a defensive defenceman (was voted best body checker and best defensive defenseman in the OHL in '99-'00, and won all defensive awards in '00-'01), but his numbers should definately improve from his past seasons due to increased responsibility and icetime.

IMO, Alexei Semenov will take big strides in his development, and he's ready to take on much more responsibility in what should be his first full season in the NHL (although spending the whole season along side Pronger on the top pair might be a tad ambitious).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm hoping that Pronger will rub off on Alexei and that Alexei could one day become even remotely close to Prongers effectiveness. I would love to see MUCH more aggression out of him as he could become a monster if he wanted to. He has done zilch offensively in the NHL and last year in Russia it was more of the same "based on the stats". Hopefully Pronger can teach him to improve his offensive arsenal and he could become a 20-25 point a year d-man. The potential is there, but until it's realized, I wouldn't put any bets on the guy.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm expecting him to have a very good season. He played a full season last year in Russia so he's going to be in great shape and I'm looking for Pronger to have a big influence on him. I don't know if he'll ever develop a top notch offensive game but he's got the huge shot and Chara's offence didn't come until his 6th year in the NHL. The Oilers are definitely hoping that he solidifies his spot on one of the top two pairings...

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Bryanbryoil said:
He has done zilch offensively in the NHL and last year in Russia it was more of the same "based on the stats".
Keep in mind that the leading scorer on Semenov's team (St. Petersburg SKA) only put up 33 points in 60 games. It doesn't look like Alexei had a great offensive year but it's really difficult to tell based on the statistical records of the Russian league...

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
This is explained by the fact that the team's coach is Boris Mikhailov, who believes a defenseman's job is to be in the back and not participate in the offensive part of the game. The only chance that Semenov had to score was from the blue line, if that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Cerebral said:
Keep in mind that the leading scorer on Semenov's team (St. Petersburg SKA) only put up 33 points in 60 games. It doesn't look like Alexei had a great offensive year but it's really difficult to tell based on the statistical records of the Russian league...

I was un-aware of that, and based on RussianProspects comments on Semenov's coach, he wouldn't have had much of an opportunity to contribute offensively. I truly hope that he will have a much bigger impact offensively this season, but I'm far from expecting it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Alexei's RSL Stats From Last Season...

51gp. 0-9-9 24pim.

He didn't even sneak 1 shot by a goalie. That said if his highest scoring teammate had 33 points, then he'd be only 24 points behind the leader and he'd have more than 25% of the leaders point total. I hope that Pronger will rub off on Alexei and that his offensive game will be greatly improved by Pronger's tutilage and by watching such a great player every day in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->