Alexei Morozov

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany
After scoring 83 points at the RSL and dominating the scoresheets at the WC so far, how do you estimate his odds to get a NHL-contract next season? I don't know about his contract situation in Russia, so what did he earn in Kazan last season and how much would it take for a NHL-team to bring him back to North-America? Moreover, is Morozov actually willing to return?

Sorry, if there is already a thread about that topic, but after using the search engine of the board, I have merely found a thread at the Oilers subboard.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
He has such a chemistry with his Ak-Bars linemates, that I really hope he will stay put. Even though it wouldn't be good for CSKA :)

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Unless he plays for between 1 and 2 million dollars, I don't think teams are gonna risk signing him, he's put up good numbers in the NHL, but not good enough to warrant him getting 3 million + IMO

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Wow, if that's the case, I see no NHL team, that will match these numbers. At least if you have a responsible GM...

I disagree. What he's done in the RSL is unparalleled, as well as combined with a strong showing in WHC (not to mention past successful seasons in the NHL).

With an increase in the salary cap, I could see a team looking for wingers giving him $3m, no question.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
there is no doubt that he can play in the nhl if he wants to, but i dont think anyone is willing to give him 3 million dollars pr. year. if he lowered hes demands to about 1.5 i think a couple of teams will be interested.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
there is no doubt that he can play in the nhl if he wants to, but i dont think anyone is willing to give him 3 million dollars pr. year. if he lowered hes demands to about 1.5 i think a couple of teams will be interested.

Samsonov made 3.5 last year (underservedly so), why not give a guy 3 mil. You know 25 goals is a given with him...But if a player cares for the money and not for playing in the best league in the world, I wouldn't give such a player a single penny, IMHO

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Samsonov made 3.5 last year (underservedly so), why not give a guy 3 mil. You know 25 goals is a given with him...But if a player cares for the money and not for playing in the best league in the world, I wouldn't give such a player a single penny, IMHO

Agreed. However, Morozov said he'll only play on a cup contender.....this implies he wants to win, opposed to just playing for a high paycheck on a lesser team.

Operation Hedera

Sep 9, 2006
connecticut
I know Morozov has at least expressed interest in playing over here. If he does so it will be a paycut, so it won't be for the money.

Like an earlier poster said, Morozov's confidence is his problem (I won't go into his fear of body contact). I think he would be an NHL star if he comes over.

Anyone remember the short-lived KLM line in Pitts? Kovalev, Lemieux and Morozov.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I'd score goals on a line with Lemieux and Kovalev back then:)

No doubt Morozov is a good player, when in RSL play offs this year, he looked heads and shoulders above everyone else. But the specifics of the NHL are such, that you have to be in management plans for the first 2 lines, you have to get a proper playing time, pp time and so on. You can be a good player (Examples: Zinov'ev, Kajgorodov, Sushinsky, Haritonov, Yashin for some stratches of his career, Bjakin, Kasatonov (his late stages in Boston) I can go on forever), but if the management and coaching stuff don't take care of you, you won't show anything...I think if you give Gretzky 3 shifts a game he wouldn't have become the Gretzky we know..

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Just to clarify things, let's take the Montreal Canadiens: You have some young francophone(sp?) group of players Latendresse, Laperriere, who are ok, have some promiss...Than you have Grabovsky who's an established international player, chempion of RSL, good showings for Belarus' at the Olympics and World Chempionships, and he almost doesn't get a chance. Same goes for Kostyzin, who's got a tremendous talent as well...

Or let's look at Boston: they have no problem giving Brad Boys, Bergeron all the playing time they needed to sucseed, they've been playin a whole bunch of young d-men, who are so turnover prone, it's funny to watch them play, but Zinov'ev who came in as a super star of RSL got no playing time at all...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Just to clarify things, let's take the Montreal Canadiens: You have some young francophone(sp?) group of players Latendresse, Laperriere, who are ok, have some promiss...Than you have Grabovsky who's an established international player, chempion of RSL, good showings for Belarus' at the Olympics and World Chempionships, and he almost doesn't get a chance. Same goes for Kostyzin, who's got a tremendous talent as well...

Or let's look at Boston: they have no problem giving Brad Boys, Bergeron all the playing time they needed to sucseed, they've been playin a whole bunch of young d-men, who are so turnover prone, it's funny to watch them play, but Zinov'ev who came in as a super star of RSL got no playing time at all...

it may have something to with russian players not being used to the NA style of play. some of them are talented as hell, but never makes it in the nhl.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Only in RSL finals and semifinals and only after a flu

Through the season he WAS "heads and shoulders above everyone else"

Well, the claim was about the PO. Plus, all of ZZM was "heads and shoulders" above in the regular season. Morozov wouldn't have had his 100 points without the linemates.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Still all comes down to a different style of play in the NHL, really. Latendresse and Lapierre have the physiques to survive while learning on the job. Grabovsky showed some great moves and speed, but he would have been out for the season with concussion troubles if he had spent any significant amount of time with the Habs. He still has things to learn about protecting himself in the North American game. But I hope he'll be up with the Habs next season. With his head up and his eyes wide open.

Kostitsyn's spot on the team came down to a head-to-head showdown with Latendresse in training camp, and Latendresse simply (though slightly) outplayed him and won the spot. It all turned out for the good anyway, since Kostitsyn got a nice confidence booster by finally turning in a consistently top-notch performance in the AHL, and by season's end he had cemented his spot as a regular with the Habs. (Which he will return to next season). He also finished rounding out his 2-way game to the standards expected in the NHL too. (A process that he had been making steady progress on in Hamilton over the last couple of seasons, and a process which I think that Grabovsky still probably has barely begun... except given Grabovsky's age, they might allow him to skip ahead, even if he's not exactly ready, just to try to be sure to retain the asset, if it comes to that).

VladNYC*

Still all comes down to a different style of play in the NHL, really. Latendresse and Lapierre have the physiques to survive while learning on the job. Grabovsky showed some great moves and speed, but he would have been out for the season with concussion troubles if he had spent any significant amount of time with the Habs. He still has things to learn about protecting himself in the North American game. But I hope he'll be up with the Habs next season. With his head up and his eyes wide open.

Kostitsyn's spot on the team came down to a head-to-head showdown with Latendresse in training camp, and Latendresse simply (though slightly) outplayed him and won the spot. It all turned out for the good anyway, since Kostitsyn got a nice confidence booster by finally turning in a consistently top-notch performance in the AHL, and by season's end he had cemented his spot as a regular with the Habs. (Which he will return to next season). He also finished rounding out his 2-way game to the standards expected in the NHL too. (A process that he had been making steady progress on in Hamilton over the last couple of seasons, and a process which I think that Grabovsky still probably has barely begun... except given Grabovsky's age, they might allow him to skip ahead, even if he's not exactly ready, just to try to be sure to retain the asset, if it comes to that).

What are you a PR Rep for the Canadians? Do you still believe any of that after this season? No offense but your Coach is garbage, and so is your hockey system. There is NO way Lats out played Kosty, you guys caved into the fans and the media wanting more French people on the team. The Habs are down right Pejorative Slured. They get a bunch of non physical, super fast offensive, spark plug, Russians and try to play a defensive system. How does that make ANY sense? Have you seen our National team? Those are our best defensemen and THEY can't even play a defensive game and you guys expect Kovalev and Samsonov and Perezhogin and Grabovski and Kosty x2 to play a defensive game? The way the Habs are set up if Ovechkin came over to you guys instead of Wash, he would have had the same year Samsonov had. All this offensive talent and the islanders with their 1.5 lines worth of hockey players and a back up goal tender made it to the play offs over you guys. Including Valentenko and Emelin you guys will have 9 VERY talented Russians on the team. Your Captain is a great European style player too, why not let them play their game? I don't think your goalies are so weak that you need to compromise so much.You have a chance to have an INSANE offensive juggernaut of a team but sadly you guys will never let that happen because the players aren't from Quebec. Maybe if you guys let the French media coach less, things would be better.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wow, so we've already wasted the Kostitsyns, Grabovski, and Perezhogin? And Emelin and Valentenko are "wasted-to-bes"? I agree with your overall point about how it's ridiculous for the Habs to try and mould these offensive-based players into defensive moulds, but sheesh, at least wait until they get consistent playing time before you denounce our whole system as a waste of talent (much less devote your signature to it). About the only case you could make is when Latendresse got promoted to the first line over Perezhogin when Higgins was hurt, but Perezhogin was working very well with Bonk and Johnson in a defensive role that they didn't want to change the dymanic that trio had.

VladNYC*

Look man, you guys turned 2 world class hockey superstars into garbage on skates. If these guys can't play in Hab land you think a few young guys who are no where as good or as experienced as Samsonov and Kovalev will be treated any better? You don't think you are stunting Perezhogin's development and confidence? Some how i am supposed to think that these other guys you will do a better job with? What is going to change? Look what Buffalo did this year, you guys have a lot more potential talent then them and what do you guys do. There is no reason it couldn't have been you guys playing the Rangers right now. If only you guys had Lindy Ruff or Ted Nolan or any coach that can understand sentences with more then 3 words.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Lindy Ruff, that's the guy who scratched Tomas Vanek in the playoffs last year, right? And Afinogenov spent five seasons with the Sabres before he exploded - would you say his development was stunted at all?

So somehow we turned a couple of world-class players into garbage, yet players like Koivu, Higgins, Souray, Plekanec, Markov, and Komisarek all acheived career highs last year. That's weird.
And shouldn't the fact that Guy Carbonneau is a rookie head coach be taken into consideration?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad