Alexei Mikhnov

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
The Loch Ness Monster definitely looks impressive in that video. The thing that really intrigues me is that the video is from the World Championships so he's playing against world class competition, not just Russian Elite League players. He's put up some good numbers in a low scoring league and he definitely has the rare combination of big size and good hands. We'll see, will this finally be the year that Tractor Boy appears in Edmonton?

vbet*

The Loch Ness Monster definitely looks impressive in that video. The thing that really intrigues me is that the video is from the World Championships so he's playing against world class competition, not just Russian Elite League players. He's put up some good numbers in a low scoring league and he definitely has the rare combination of big size and good hands. We'll see, will this finally be the year that Tractor Boy appears in Edmonton?

Tractor Boy is a secret. Not worth hyping him until we get him and Dion gets a look at his 6'-5" frame and 230lbs and thinks twice about a hit. I hope he has stopped growing or he won't fit on the bench.

melubsdonna

Aug 23, 2005
btw, for those that don't know, he's called tractor boy because he likes to cut the lawn.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Holy @!(# he looks very impressive in that video.. for a big guy, he has some pretty slick moves to go with alot of speed! I can't wait to get this giant over here!

vbet*

Holy @!(# he looks very impressive in that video.. for a big guy, he has some pretty slick moves to go with alot of speed! I can't wait to get this giant over here!

Just think if we can teach him to tip shots from the point on powerplays.

vbet*

Any non-Oiler fans have any opinions? I love the praise but I'd like to know if it's universal.

He's a chance, not a huge prospect. We did take him in the first round but we don't know enough. If I was a non-oiler fan I wouldnt get too excited about this guy. This thread shouldn't be here and only on the edm boards.

His numbers at his age are not spectacular. And Russians prospects are no lock as far as playing with heart.

vbet*

ya but i mean the guy should be able to skate right threw every1 with that speed and height this is the 1st footage ive seen of him since oilers drafted him and i am excited

He's Russian, its a crap shoot. There is only one Ovechkin and tons of Russian busts.

Be optimistic but be realistic. Who knows if this kid even took the time to learn english.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Be optimistic but be realistic. Who knows if this kid even took the time to learn english.

Why should he have had to? Not important at all. If he comes over, he'll pick it up if he needs to.

vbet*

Why should he have had to? Not important at all. If he comes over, he'll pick it up if he needs to.

If you want to hear what a coach said I would believe you would need to know english. Talking with linemates is kinda important also.

The Assailant*

Nightwish with hockey is a weird combination

Mikhnov is legally blind I think. But pretty nice skater.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
He's Russian, its a crap shoot. There is only one Ovechkin and tons of Russian busts.

The number of good old Canadian busts>>>>>> number of Russian busts.... lets not get into ethnic stereotyping, shall we?

Mikhnov is 23 and we can generally see what kind of player he is and how good he is. as it were. Its not like we are scouting a barely draft elligible kid who we have seen play a handful of times. While he is still developping and showing progress, I think its fairly safe to determine whether a player has amounted to something or not.

vbet*

The number of good old Canadian busts>>>>>> number of Russian busts.... lets not get into ethnic stereotyping, shall we?

Mikhnov is 23 and we can generally see what kind of player he is and how good he is. as it were. Its not like we are scouting a barely draft elligible kid who we have seen play a handful of times. While he is still developping and showing progress, I think its fairly safe to determine whether a player has amounted to something or not.

Sorry don't take it the wrong way. There just is too many datsyuk's out there that dissapear in the playoffs(thorton too I might add). I don't hate russian players, I just don't trust them because of the culture shock that usually makes them dissapear.

We had Samsonov being benched during the finals so I have my reasons. You have to be tough and you have to be able to take a puck in the face and get a root canal in the locker room and come out and assist on the winning goal in OT like Smyth did.

Russians kick *** during the regular season. But dissapear in the playoffs. But I like this guy, what he does is up to him. He could make a crapload of cash, or just float.

It's up to him, I want him to dominate.

edit: and Im Ukrainian so dont call me sterotyping. He is a Uke.

oilers144

Jul 4, 2004
edmoton
Mikhnov ust to be blind , until he visited edmonton a few years ago . The oilers discovered he needed glasses and he got some now he sees fine.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Wow Mikhnov looks pretty impressive. Its about time the Oilers had a decent russian prospect, the rest of the league is loaded with them. Sure they don't have the heart all the time but it'd be nice to see waht he can do for sure. Go Tractor, lets see you lay out that kid named Dion

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i'm not a fan of the oilers and i must say he looked pretty good. great skating and a good shot. couldn't see he's passing skills considering he didn't make one :dunno:
if he comes over tis season i think he will probably play on the third line and get some time on the powerplay. but i see a potential second liner but not more.

go patrick thoresen:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->