Alexei Cherepanov

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I believe he had a heart condition that he never told the doctor.

It had to of developed after the draft (otherwise, he would not of been drafted), and I'm pretty sure Omsk's doctors knew about it, and tried to treat him while he was playing instead of sitting him.

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
there was a rumour that he may have been blood doping..which probably isnt a good pairing with an undiagnosed heart condition

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
There is still some mystery surrounding it, but the most likely/reported scenario is that he had some sort of heart condition that doctors at Omsk tried to treat with possibly illegal drugs. He might have been saved but for gross negligence on the part of the local medical staff (the arena defibrillator didn't have a charge, and the ambulance had already left the arena).

I would be very surprised if a previous heart condition or him doping wasn't picked up at the NHL combine, so it would probably have happened after that.

When you are an 18 year old kid, and you are told you have a condition that will prevent you from living your dream, most likely you will do ANYTHING to try and continue. Its very unfortunate how it all played out.

Skyver

Oct 12, 2009
Budapest
I think some pictures of him blood-doping surfaced out after his death. It hit me pretty hard, as he looked exactly like a cousin of mine who also plays hockey that I'm very close to. I think the official cause of death was ruled as heart failure.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
This is what happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrophic_cardiomyopathy

Generally, this strikes kids in their late teens and the kid has to stop playing any type of heavy sports. Playing sports, at virtually any level, can greatly increase the chances of sudden cardiac arrest. Thats what happen to Alexi. He played this sport, even though he had this and probably against the wishes of doctors. Add on to that the many other claims that he might have been doping, taking some illegal drugs and had other heart conditions. He should not have been playing hockey with the conditions he had.

4Isles4*

kid was lookin like he c ould of been the next big thing out of russia...even though he was picked by a team I have so much hate for i still would of liked to see him play as a hockey fan....its a shame what happend to him

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
It had to of developed after the draft (otherwise, he would not of been drafted), and I'm pretty sure Omsk's doctors knew about it, and tried to treat him while he was playing instead of sitting him.

http://futureconsiderationshockey.blogspot.com/2008/07/fcs-2008-nhl-entry-draft-review.html

One year after Cherepanov was drafted, at the NHL combine in 2008, Doctor detected that David Carle had a heart condition ( sounds the same ), that would not allow him to play hockey anymore.
I am guessing that Cherepanovs condition developed after or they would have detected his condition at the combine in 2007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad