Alexei Cherepanov

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Actually, at age 17, Cherepanov has more points in the Russian league then Malkin and Ovechkin did. Im not saying he's as good as them, but he can compete (from what I hear) but ive only seen him play once.

You know, Ovechkin and specially Malkin haven't got very high results at their draft year.

Zherdev had 24 points in 44 games at his draft year. More than Malkin(12) or Ovechkin(24 in 53 games).

And Cherepanov now has 23 in 37 games.

So the fact that he has more ppg than AO or Malkin at his age doesn't tel much.

Playa Hamm*

Frolov is tied with Semin in goals, both of them have 29, and Semin has played 5 less games. I wouldn't say Frolov is ahead of Semin in goals at all. Semin is a better skater, too.

Semin also plays in the Eastern Conference, that pretty much offsets the extra 5 games Frolov has played.

Semin's greatest ability is to score goals. And Frolov has as many goals as him. And you would have to give Frolov the edge in almost any other category over Semin.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There aren't any Ovechkins, Crosbys or Malkins in this years draft....or anyone on Kovalchuks level either.

From what I've seen (albeit very little) Cherepanov could be similar to Semin - not in terms of style but impact. A 1st line winger who has the potential to be a top 15-20 point producer.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
There aren't any Ovechkins, Crosbys or Malkins in this years draft....or anyone on Kovalchuks level either.

From what I've seen (albeit very little) Cherepanov could be similar to Semin - not in terms of style but impact. A 1st line winger who has the potential to be a top 15-20 point producer.

Don't count out wildcards like Esposito, Turris, Couture, Chrerepanov, and Kane. No one is really sure how good these guys can be. Each has shown tremendous promise but have a black mark or two as well.

Cherepanov - Dominating in the WJC and RSL like Malkin and Ovvy, but doesn't have their legs.
Esposito - Hasn't been a great year for the former consensus number 1, but still has a near flawless offensive arsenal. He may need some great coaching to bring it out.
Turris - Can create something out of nothing, but does it in the BCHL. I'd be more impressed if he were doing it in the dub.
Couture - All the talent in the world, but has been limited by mono and the recovery time. Still, has shown glimpses of a dominating forward.
Kane - small in size but huge in production. Does have some speed which has allowed smaller guys to succeed in the new NHL.

Now the likelyhood of one of them turning into a Crosby, Ovvy or Malkin is very slim. But there could be a Kovalchuk, Heatley, E. Staal level kid or two in that list.

And Cherepanov could easily be one of them.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
see Mikhail Yakubov and Pavel Vorobiev, both high 1st rnd pick busts drafted out of the RSL by the Blackhawks

I think it would be foolish for the Blackhawks to never take a Russian player high again just because some former Euro-happy GM took a couple of questionable prospects too high almost a decade ago.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Semin also plays in the Eastern Conference, that pretty much offsets the extra 5 games Frolov has played.

Semin's greatest ability is to score goals. And Frolov has as many goals as him. And you would have to give Frolov the edge in almost any other category over Semin.

I'm not arguing that Semin is a better all-around player than Frolov. Between the two, I would give the nod to Frolov. But the original poster said that Semin is a better skater and natural goal scorer than Frolov, and both of these points are true.

I've only seen Semin play a few times, but I've seen that he is an excellent skater, well above average in the NHL. I have seen Frolov a ton (almost every Kings game is televised where I live), and I would say he is not much better than average of a skater as far as NHLers go. As another poster has pointed out, it is Frolov's hockey sense that gets him his goals. He reminds me of a slightly less-skilled version of Yashin if Yashin always wanted to win (we know Yashin doesn't).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Semin is only in his second (some would say first) full NHL season. Frolov is in his fourth, and this is the first year that his production has been anywhere near where it is now.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Frolov is top 10 in goals in the NHL right now.... Not sure how Semin/Zherdev are better when he is ahead of both in goals scored.

you didnt get my point or i may have said it wrong. frolov is a way better hockey player then zherdev and semin. imo frolovs passing skills are better then he's goal scoring ability while zherdev and semin are better goalscorers then passers. i didnt compare frolov with semin and zherdev. i just think cherepanov plays more like semin and zherdev.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I don't think he said anything about Semin or Zherdev being better goalscorers. He was just saying that Frolov's more of a playmaker and that they are better skaters and dekers (which is true). I would also add that both Semin and Zherdev have significantly better shots than Frolov, but Frolov's hockey sense makes him a better overall goalscorer than either of them.

ty. i didnt see this posts before posting the above one, but you got my point.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't think he said anything about Semin or Zherdev being better goalscorers. He was just saying that Frolov's more of a playmaker and that they are better skaters and dekers (which is true). I would also add that both Semin and Zherdev have significantly better shots than Frolov, but Frolov's hockey sense makes him a better overall goalscorer than either of them.
True, yet Frolov is still more a goalscorer than a playmaker.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

That happened 7 years ago. I would hope that if the next Pavel Bure (or Ovechkin or Malkin) came along out of Russia (and no, I'm not saying that Cherepanov is the second coming of any of those three), the Blackhawks would not be foolish enough to pass on him just because of what happened with two first rounders in 2000.

If they would, that would just be further affirmation of why they've been the one of the jokes of the league the past 10 years.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
That happened 7 years ago. I would hope that if the next Pavel Bure (or Ovechkin or Malkin) came along out of Russia (and no, I'm not saying that Cherepanov is the second coming of any of those three), the Blackhawks would not be foolish enough to pass on him just because of what happened with two first rounders in 2000.

If they would, that would just be further affirmation of why they've been the one of the jokes of the league the past 10 years.

Cherepanov is a RW...we already have Havlat and we selected in that position Skille and Makarov...we dont need him

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
you didnt get my point or i may have said it wrong. frolov is a way better hockey player then zherdev and semin. imo frolovs passing skills are better then he's goal scoring ability while zherdev and semin are better goalscorers then passers. i didnt compare frolov with semin and zherdev. i just think cherepanov plays more like semin and zherdev.

From a caps fan who has watched about 98% of the games semin has played in his recent goal scoring prowess is/was a surprise as back in his stint in 03-04 he was an amazing passer. Once he has some linemates that are not AHL level I would think his assist totals will go back up.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
see Mikhail Yakubov and Pavel Vorobiev, both high 1st rnd pick busts drafted out of the RSL by the Blackhawks

Vorobiev was a great pick. The Hawks (more specifically the medical staff) messed him up big time. I think Chelios would agree with this as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Once he has some linemates that are not AHL level I would think his assist totals will go back up.
Agreed. As it is, over half of his assists have come on the PP while primarily playing with Ovechkin, Zubrus, Clark, etc.

When you consider that his linemates have been a combination of Kris Beech, Brooks Laich, Boyd Gordon, Matt Pettinger, Donald Brashear and Eric Fehr there's not much opportunity in the way of setting those types of guys up. Their play away from the puck is not so good and Semin has mainly taken it on himself to carry the second line all year long.

As for Cherepanov, I'd love to see the Caps pick him. I'm really intrigued with his style of play. He seems ready and willing to go into dangerous areas, pay the price to make a play and pick up garbage goals rather than merely being a finesse player. He has the passing ability and the awareness to be a finesse player but that's not the beginning and end of his game.

Bryzga lol*

You know, Ovechkin and specially Malkin haven't got very high results at their draft year.

Zherdev had 24 points in 44 games at his draft year. More than Malkin(12) or Ovechkin(24 in 53 games).

And Cherepanov now has 23 in 37 games.

So the fact that he has more ppg than AO or Malkin at his age doesn't tel much.

Good point, but this is suppost to be a weak draft for superstar prospects. So with 23 points in 37 games in a men's league, it make Cherepanov look like a great prospect.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Cherepanov is a RW...we already have Havlat and we selected in that position Skille and Makarov...we dont need him

thats a pretty stupid thing to say. im sorry, but it is. you can never ever draft for need with a top 5 pick. its a big mistake. you pick the player you think is the best player available. if that means another RW in the system then fine. it doesnt matter.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
thats a pretty stupid thing to say. im sorry, but it is. you can never ever draft for need with a top 5 pick. its a big mistake. you pick the player you think is the best player available. if that means another RW in the system then fine. it doesnt matter.
Agreed, its a nice "problem" to have

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I'm in complete agreement with this. Drafting for positional need is very foolish when you are dealing with top end talent. Take the best player available, reassess your team's positional needs down the road when these guys are actually close to being ready to play, and make deals then to address positional needs. If you drafted well, there will be no shortage of good offers for your top prospects regardless of what position they play.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'm in complete agreement with this. Drafting for positional need is very foolish when you are dealing with top end talent. Take the best player available, reassess your team's positional needs down the road when these guys are actually close to being ready to play, and make deals then to address positional needs. If you drafted well, there will be no shortage of good offers for your top prospects regardless of what position they play.

yeah. like if a team who was desperate for #1 goalie, but is stacked on the dept chart at every other position had the #1 pick. should they pick cann or sexsmith #1 overall. i dont think so. and if tampa had the #1 pick in 05 should they have picked someone other then crosby because they have richards and lecavalier. the answer is NO. you pick the best guy no matter what position he is and deal with your "nice" problem. like mentioned above. and it really is a nice problem to have.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Cherepanov seems to be a consensus #1,2 or 3....but as I pointed out:

1.IF the new transfer proposal from the IIHF's Fassel is accepted by the Russians,it could cost upto $1million in transfer fees to get him over...if the Russkies still refuse to sign an agreement--then you are back to the shenannigans of his contract status in Omsk,and whether an NHL team will claim he has no valid contract and thus pay zero to "steal" him over as Pitt did with Malkin..but eventually there has to be either an agreement or a court ruling that finally comes out on the Russkies' side--so there could be a mess either way in getting him over --enough to scare off some teams--could drive the actual selection slot of Cherepanov way down from what otherwise it should be...

2. For CERTAIN--the Blackhawks will not draft him:

i) terrible historical record in developing their Russian draftees...
ii) already have a Russkie RW in the pipeline in Makarov (2nd rounder 2006)
will not have 2 Russkies in the first 2 rounds from successive drafts--especially playing the same position...

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
2. For CERTAIN--the Blackhawks will not draft him:

i) terrible historical record in developing their Russian draftees...

You hit the nail in the head. As long as the old devil bishop maintains his crony crew (Pulford etc.), the situation isn't likely to change in regards to the treating of Russian players.

Here's Pavel Vorobiev's take:

"(In Chicago) they have had the same people in key positions for many years. Besides the owner and the general manager, there is one additional person whose opinion is very important. He's the one that hates Russians most of all. He shows this in the way he acts. When he went into the locker room, he was friendly with everyone except me and (Anton) Babchuk. He would greet Khabibulin, although he was the acknowledged leader of the team. For as long as this person and the owner of the team are there, nothing good awaits. The owner (Bill Wirtz) is himself already very old, and speaks and walks slowly. But he has a son, who is 40 years old. He has long asked for the father to let him take over the team, in order to make Chicago a better club again, capable of making the playoffs. However, the father, a multi-millionaire, is a terrible skinflint, who puts a stranglehold on every nickel."

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Here's Pavel Vorobiev's take:

"(In Chicago) they have had the same people in key positions for many years. Besides the owner and the general manager, there is one additional person whose opinion is very important. He's the one that hates Russians most of all. He shows this in the way he acts. When he went into the locker room, he was friendly with everyone except me and (Anton) Babchuk. He would greet Khabibulin, although he was the acknowledged leader of the team. For as long as this person and the owner of the team are there, nothing good awaits. The owner (Bill Wirtz) is himself already very old, and speaks and walks slowly. But he has a son, who is 40 years old. He has long asked for the father to let him take over the team, in order to make Chicago a better club again, capable of making the playoffs. However, the father, a multi-millionaire, is a terrible skinflint, who puts a stranglehold on every nickel."

This quote is the first legitimate possible reason that I've seen so far for people believing that Chicago will not take Cherepanov this year. If the organization has a bias against Russian players, then obviously that can affect who the team picks. However, like drafting for positional need, being biased against players from a certain nation that has historically had a lot of success in the sport is very foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad