Waived: Alexei Bereglazov

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Not a huge surprise. With all the players added the Rangers probably need room for contracts.

Plus Bereglazov was one of a handful of players ruled ineligible to play for Russia in the Olympics. There was no word on whether it was doping but I was figure whatever it actually was about might eventually cause the NYR to reconsider his place in their long term plans.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
QLeZN.gif

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bit of a bummer, but not a shocker.

He didn't really get a fair shake in camp last year, but he really should have stayed in Hartford. He almost definitely would have gotten called up. But I can understand why he went back. Make more money at home

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
when you never play and you already have earned a cool nickname, thats bad. you dont want that.

so many here had him penciled into the top 6 last summer.

ya just never know

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Bit of a bummer, but not a shocker.

He didn't really get a fair shake in camp last year, but he really should have stayed in Hartford. He almost definitely would have gotten called up. But I can understand why he went back. Make more money at home

He didn't look very good at Traverse or at the main camp. That's not a bad shake---that's just not looking good. IMO it seemed like he was playing fairly well in Hartford though so.....

Pionk's emergence--the additions of O'Gara, Hajek and Lindgren--Day turning pro next year and who knows the Rangers may have their eye on someone else and then you have all the draft picks in June.

Reactions: Nanaki

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He didn't look very good at Traverse or at the main camp. That's not a bad shake---that's just not looking good. IMO it seemed like he was playing fairly well in Hartford though so.....

Pionk's emergence--the additions of O'Gara, Hajek and Lindgren--Day turning pro next year and who knows the Rangers may have their eye on someone else and then you have all the draft picks in June.

Our NHL team still needs defensemen.

Pionk's emergence is one thing, but we don't have 6 players locked into a spot. Skjei, Shatty, Pionk and Staal. If Smith is closer to most of his career than last season, thats 5. But beyond that, there are a lot of unknowns. And even with those five, Staal sucks, Smith is a bottom pairing guy and Pionk might not be much better than that either.

Hard to know how Bereglazov would've done, but I don't think it exactly makes sense for a team that doesn't have 6 NHL defensemen to give no chance to a player who is ready, whether he ends up good enough or not, for a chance to play in the NHL. Day clearly isn't ready and may never be, Hajek and Lindgren probably aren't ready yet. O'Gara is mediocre, at best. In fact, I'd argue that if Bereglazov was bad, he'd be about as good as O'Gara showed this season. If he's good, he's a clear upgrade to O'Gara.

I hope Gorton isn't content with going into the season with some combination of DeAngelo, O'Gara and Gilmour for spots 6 and 7. He needs to find the team more young defensemen who are NHL ready.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Our NHL team still needs defensemen.

Pionk's emergence is one thing, but we don't have 6 players locked into a spot. Skjei, Shatty, Pionk and Staal. If Smith is closer to most of his career than last season, thats 5. But beyond that, there are a lot of unknowns. And even with those five, Staal sucks, Smith is a bottom pairing guy and Pionk might not be much better than that either.

Hard to know how Bereglazov would've done, but I don't think it exactly makes sense for a team that doesn't have 6 NHL defensemen to give no chance to a player who is ready, whether he ends up good enough or not, for a chance to play in the NHL. Day clearly isn't ready and may never be, Hajek and Lindgren probably aren't ready yet. O'Gara is mediocre, at best. In fact, I'd argue that if Bereglazov was bad, he'd be about as good as O'Gara showed this season. If he's good, he's a clear upgrade to O'Gara.

I hope Gorton isn't content with going into the season with some combination of DeAngelo, O'Gara and Gilmour for spots 6 and 7. He needs to find the team more young defensemen who are NHL ready.

I think if Bereglazov had stuck around he probably would have gotten a shot at the Rangers--at least the way he played in Hartford the first part of the season he seemed one of our better D. I don't know what his issues were early on but it took some time for him to adjust---then he seemed to make progress but then he went back to Russia. Well......

I don't think Bereglazov was any kind of automatic to make the Rangers if he returned next year but there are a lot of ? marks as far as the Rangers D personnel. Right now I'd say the locks are Shatty, Skjei and Staal and Pionk is a strong probability. Smith?--I don't know. If it were me--I'd find a way out with him and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Gorton does. So I'm not counting on him. I think the Rangers will sign a UFA D (or two). When have they not gone into July and not signed UFA's and listening to Gorton yesterday he basically said he's leaving himself open to anything and everything--trades, free agent signings. I think DeAngelo, O'Gara and Kampfer are going to be in the mix too--at least short term. So when the Rangers say they are going younger--they mean they're going full on back into developing prospects and getting picks---it doesn't mean they're not going to bring in some veterans too. They are going to put players in the way for the kids to have to outplay to get an NHL job.

The Rangers IMO are very high on Hajek and Lindgren. I suspect as well that at least one of our 1st rounders is going to be a D and there's a strong possibility that that will be our earliest pick. So I think our defense will be a work in progress next year but I also expect it to be noticeably improved off what we saw in the last month and a half of this year and we'll have a better group in Hartford.

FWIW I don't think our forward group the last month or so was all that much better than our defense. Our highest scorer was Zucc's 53 points. To me that's on the low end of what you'd want from a first line player. Maybe Kreider or Z-bad could have pushed into that same low end without their injuries but still we need a higher octane attack. Zibanejad's physcial game picked up in the second half and he started producing better. Hayes ditto......and Kreider came back strong from a scary injury. To me that was a positive sign at the end--our three biggest, strongest forwards played like it and became our three best forwards. To me those three and Zucc are our offensive leaders right now and I'd hesitate to call any one of them a legit 1st line player--they're all kind of in a 1st-2nd line tweener stage......and Zucc might not be around next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He looked like doh poop against teenagers at traverse city
That's where his fall started. If you can stand out against babies at t.c. you're not likely to do well in the nhl.

They were all bad at that tournament, Pionk and Andersson included. And the year before that, Buchnevich wasn't that good.

I think especially for guys adjusting to a new ice surface, the European players, we shouldn't be taking their play at Traverse City as all that important. KHL play is a higher level than Traverse City, so if he's good in the KHL, he's probably good for that level of play. There could've been any number of reasons why he didn't play well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->