Waived: Alexei Bereglazov

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A great signing, looking forward to see him maybe next training camp?

RangerFan10

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Holden Bereglazov
Graves (AV won't play him full time over Holden)

Or Staal in Holden's spot if he isn't gone
I keep saying, Girardi, Staal, and Klein all out the door with Shattenkirk AND Smith signed is a pipedream. You're looking at unloading and eating a lot of dead cap to move Staal and Girardi. And you're looking at opening the checkbook for Shattenkirk and Smith in a weak free agent class of d-men. I'm not discounting that Smith will want to re-sign, but he's gonna want to get paid. This is his big contract.

Hybrid MB24

Nov 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think one of the more important parts to this is that if he sticks, Buchnevich has himself a true, similar age group Russian friend. Its a no brainer to bring Bereglazov in.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I keep saying, Girardi, Staal, and Klein all out the door with Shattenkirk AND Smith signed is a pipedream. You're looking at unloading and eating a lot of dead cap to move Staal and Girardi. And you're looking at opening the checkbook for Shattenkirk and Smith in a weak free agent class of d-men. I'm not discounting that Smith will want to re-sign, but he's gonna want to get paid. This is his big contract.

If Gorton can get rid of both Staal and Girardi's contracts in the next offseason, he should automatically be handed the GM of the year award.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

It is in the realm of possibility.

Staal bought out; or at 3.5 out to Minnesota after they lose a young guy in the draft.
Girardi retires.
Klein to Edmonton for a 4th.

Smith signs 4 years, 15 million - 3.75 per year. No movement clause. He likes it here.
Shattenkirk 5 years, 32.5 million. Competitive with other offers, doesn't kill our cap.

Likely? No.
Possible? Definitely, if some things fall in place.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think one of the more important parts to this is that if he sticks, Buchnevich has himself a true, similar age group Russian friend. Its a no brainer to bring Bereglazov in.

Yeah, and I like a lot of the intangibles with Bereglazov. He has won in the KHL. Played in two deep runs. Like the better teams in the KHL are good teams, naturally there are injuries etc, but this is SKA's roster this season and its teams like this he has faced over the years:

*Mikko Koskinen*(G)
*Igor Shestyorkin*(G)

*Anton Belov*(D)
*Maxim Chudinov*(D)
*Patrik Hersley*(D)
*Roman Rukavishnikov*(D)
*Vyacheslav Voynov*(D)
*Artyom Zub*(D)
*Andrei Zubarev*(D)

*Alexander Barabanov*(RW)
*Yevgeni Dadonov*(LW/RW)

*Pavel Datsyuk*(C)**
*Alexander Dergachyov*(C/RW)
*Nikita Gusev*(LW)
*Alexander Khokhlachev*(C/W)
*Jarno Koskiranta*(C)
*Ilya Kovalchuk*(LW)**
*Steve Moses*(RW)
*Arkhip Nekolenko*(RW/LW)
*Sergei Plotnikov*(LW/RW)
*Nikolai Prokhorkin*(LW/C)
*Vadim Shipachyov*(C)**
*Sergei Shirokov*(LW/RW)
*Viktor Tikhonov*(W/C)

He got a wife already, never wrong IMO to be settled down. Both he and Buchnevich are good kids. They will definitely follow suit to the leaders we have in NY already.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And also possibly provide a good platform for further acquisitions from Russia of these younger players. I don't think that the value of that should be underrated. Like its been a ride for Russian hockey since they cancelled the Russian Super League and created the KHL. The MHL. The VHL. Their farm system. Teams all over Europe. But almost a decade has passed right. And the new reality has kind of set in now. The teams doing the right things -- building teams, developing kids, developing their players, treating the players right, keeping a professional atmosphere, being as serious as possible, working out as good as possible during the off-season -- its these teams that have had the results. The other teams, under different managements, have failed. For a while you heard so many stories, from players literary being locked up at a old army camps before game (very common for a while, locked doors with guards, to prevent drinking the day before a game), buss loads of entertainment girls arriving at hotels/camps after more or less every win as opposed to practice if you lost, forign imports being dumped at buss stops in the middle of nowhere, crap like this.

What is the result of this? I think the KHL now is an alternative development track parallel to the NHL. Like its easy to lose track of when only following a league -- but the NHL is FULL of players with all kind of different pedigrees. Full of them. Late round picks, being stars. Players that sucked when they were 22 being stars when they are 25. Or why not 35. Undrafted players being stars. But up until now, you could get some late bloomers from outside the NHL, mainly from Europe, but if a kid did not get into the NHL, it was very rare that anyone older than say 25 still got into the league. They just weren't given a proper environment to develop in. Now you have a parallel track in the KHL that is starting to become pretty good. Looking at the NHL's top 30 in scoring, like 2/3s weren't huge names and big stars when they were 19-20. They got there between 22-28 y/o. A Cam Atkinsson is a helluva player right now, he wasn't when he was 19. Looking at the top 30 in the NHL in ice time among Ds, how many were huge names when they were 18-19? 25%? How many more or less came from "nowhere" (outside top 15 in a draft)? 75%? Panarin is a helluva player now, he wasn't when he was 19 either. He got there in the KHL. Panarin developed a ton in the KHL when being 21, 22 and 23 y/o, and went to the NHL when he was 24 y/o.

With a 7 round draft -- and the KHL factor -- many good young Russian players will not get drafted. How many of these kids will develop a lot between 18-25 and become perfectly solid players by NHL standards in their early 20s -- per year? It won't be one every other year. It might not be 5 per year either, but somewhere in between on that range maybe. Of course all teams will be hunting for guys like Panarin and Zaitsev, but (i) if they increase in number, (ii) and we get a platform with Buch and Bereglazov in NY, the lure of NY, good reputaiton, good team -- I don't see why we couldn't get a very solid top 9 forward/top 6 D from Russia like every other year. And that would be HUGE. Like an entire amature draft system of an organization give you about one solid player per year on avg. Imagine if we could get 50% of that from another source, its in principle worth just as much as having -- 50% -- more draft picks. Add a college UFA becoming a NHLer on top of this like every third year or whatever, it would just give us a tremendous advantage.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, and I like a lot of the intangibles with Bereglazov. He has won in the KHL. Played in two deep runs. Like the better teams in the KHL are good teams, naturally there are injuries etc, but this is SKA's roster this season and its teams like this he has faced over the years:

*Mikko Koskinen*(G)
*Igor Shestyorkin*(G)

*Anton Belov*(D)
*Maxim Chudinov*(D)
*Patrik Hersley*(D)
*Roman Rukavishnikov*(D)
*Vyacheslav Voynov*(D)
*Artyom Zub*(D)
*Andrei Zubarev*(D)

*Yevgeni Dadonov*(LW/RW)

*Pavel Datsyuk*(C)**
*Nikita Gusev*(LW)
*Jarno Koskiranta*(C)
*Ilya Kovalchuk*(LW)**
*Steve Moses*(RW)
*Vadim Shipachyov*(C)**
*Sergei Shirokov*(LW/RW)
*Viktor Tikhonov*(W/C)

He got a wife already, never wrong IMO to be settled down. Both he and Buchnevich are good kids. They will definitely follow suit to the leaders we have in NY already.

What I like about Bereglazov is that he not only won the Gagarin Cup and went to the Finals a year later (2 very deep runs) but the fact that he was an integral part to that team and not just a passenger, gives me high hopes. He wasn't some 3rd pair D-man who played 10 minutes a night.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree with Ola and could not have said it any better myself. The current KHL/VHL/MHL system is working and it gives players a decent chance to develop. Things are changing. Development of players changes all the time. The way college players are developing now as well, is a good indicator of why teams shouldn't just focus on the CHL anymore and why so many teams have taken a serious interest in both NCAA and KHL. With the KHL including teams from Slovakia, Finland, Belarus, Ukraine and now even China, it is a market bigger than just Russia. I went to my first ever KHL game last February. I was in Vienna for a month, for work. I decided to take a train to Bratislava to see Slovan. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing. The players (some former NHL-ers) played a high level of hockey. Even for a team like Slovan, not a perennial play-off team, they were playing very, very decent hockey. They have come a long way.

Panarin and Zaitsev making such an impact is more than just a coincidence. However, there is a downside to that development too. With so much assurance being in place in Russia, especially with the big teams like CSKA, SKA and MM, it gives Russian players an alternative to the NHL. Until the age of 27, they fall under the ELC-rule, making it a tough decision to move. What if you can earn 2 or 3 million a year in Russia, and an NHL team offers you a 2-year deal for 925k a year? It's a wonderful type of chess teams are playing and I hope there will be a fair amount of Russians joining the NHL. The same way we see more and more NHL-ers go the other way.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

*Mikko Koskinen*(G)
*Igor Shestyorkin*(G)

*Anton Belov*(D)
*Maxim Chudinov*(D)
*Patrik Hersley*(D)
*Roman Rukavishnikov*(D)
*Vyacheslav Voynov*(D)
*Artyom Zub*(D)
*Andrei Zubarev*(D)

*Yevgeni Dadonov*(LW/RW)

*Pavel Datsyuk*(C)**
*Nikita Gusev*(LW)
*Jarno Koskiranta*(C)
*Ilya Kovalchuk*(LW)**
*Steve Moses*(RW)
*Vadim Shipachyov*(C)**
*Sergei Shirokov*(LW/RW)
*Viktor Tikhonov*(W/C)

What's wrong with Gusev (likely soon to become a familiar hockey household name in NA), Kranta or Moses?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What's wrong with Gusev (likely soon to become a familiar hockey household name in NA), Kranta or Moses?

Believe he was highlighting former NHL players. Moses never made it in the NHL. The % of former/future NHL players on that team is about 80%.

Chudinov probably could play in the NHL. He's a right handed shot. Some team would be willing to take him on. Probably has no desire to play in the NHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wanted to highlight Kova, Datsyuk and Voynov, but it would have looked bad since Dats and Voy was inured in the finals so I highlighted a few other random names too. ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he got a raw deal here, but he's off the Russian World Championship team. Tweet basically says that Kaprizov, Svetlakov and Bereglazov are off the team.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I thought he got a raw deal here, but he's off the Russian World Championship team. Tweet basically says that Kaprizov, Svetlakov and Bereglazov are off the team.

? keeping spots open for Ovie, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Tarasenko, ... Buch ?

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/teams/#RUS
22 players: 3G, 7D, 12F

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/news/players-registered/

One day before the start of the tournament each team had to register its players.
A minimum of 17 players (15 skaters, 2 goalies) had to be registered today and the maximum roster size during the tournament is 25 players (22 skaters, 3 goalies)
of which 22 players (20 skaters, 2 goalies) can be dressed for a game.
Players can be added to the rosters up to two hours prior to the team’s game
until the maximum roster size has been reached.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If he's not on the roster now, I guess he will sign soon. Was probably waiting for conclusion of WC before actually signing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So what are his chances to start the season on the main roster?

Good question. Think it's a long shot given the log jam he has infront of him. It's not easy to come into camp and beat out a Marc Staal...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good question. Think it's a long shot given the log jam he has infront of him. It's not easy to come into camp and beat out a Marc Staal...

Completely disagree. I think its like 95% chance he makes it. Would take a catastrophically bad camp for him not to.

He's most likely ahead of DeAngelo, Graves, Pionk in terms of readiness to take a regular NHL shift, and he also has the threat of the KHL clause where the team knows that if he's not in the NHL, he's going back to Russia. People can say "Buchnevich spent some time in the AHL." But that also ignores that he never spent more than a week in the league, so Bereglazov's very likely not accepting a month or two AHL assignment, at most like a week or so to buy Gorton some time with a trade. If its even close between Berelazov and DeAngelo for the final spot, its going to Bereglazov, unless Gorton makes a terrible decision. You'd rather keep Bereglazov in the fold than get DeAngelo a few extra games early in the season.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
One of the oldest dudes in the tournament and he hasn't looked very good at travers city.

Disagree. He looked very strong yesterday. Hes not a flashy player at all, his highlights are subtle

Hes also just starting the transition to the smaller rink and more physical style of play. Give the guy a few days before you pass judgement

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
He'll be the 7th dman. DeAngelo is just flat out a better a more talentes dman and has shown promise on the NHL level. He'll be the 3rd pairing Dman with Staal. Bear gloves will get 25 games give or take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad