Waived: Alexei Bereglazov

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Almost ALL the other teams also sign players for nothing, and they somehow keep their draft picks too.

Perhaps. But we have landed guys like Hayes and Vesey when everyone had a shot at them. In a perfect world we would still have all our draft picks to go with them...but they do make up for moving some of the other assets.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Management continues to add players without draft picks. This is a well run organization, despite the hate from our own fans

Adding Bereglazov, Lettieri, Pedrie and Nell for nothing but a contract spot is basically the equivalent of adding a second and a few third or fourth round picks. That's a great thing to be able to do.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Would it be fair to say Smith is likely a better puck mover than Bereglazov at this point? Everything I've read seems to indicate that Bereglazov's strengths are shot suppression and his play in the D zone, weakness is his mobility and he could improve at moving the puck up the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would it be fair to say Smith is likely a better puck mover than Bereglazov at this point? Everything I've read seems to indicate that Bereglazov's strengths are shot suppression and his play in the D zone, weakness is his mobility and he could improve at moving the puck up the ice.

Where have you read that? He's not some big plug who will only be used to beat people up. I think the Smith comparison is kind of on point. He's maybe a little better defensively than Smith with a little worse skating, but he does a little of everything. I don't know, we don't have any exact comparison for him on the team. Some combination of Smith, Klein and Holden is probably closest to what he will be. Maybe worse, maybe better, but stylistically, he's closest to some combination of those three.

He should certainly be a candidate to start next season on the NHL team, but there are so many candidates at this point, there is no straightforward answer of the top 7 defensemen next year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the main thing will again be what the Rangers do with their current large contracts...can they move one of Girardi or Staal? Klein? The blueline needs an overhaul and they're going to have some guys knocking at the door...Graves, Bereglazov...they need to get younger and cheaper and deal with growing pains of some of these guys. Can they move Staal and Klein?

McD-Girardi (because let's face it this is never going to change)
Skjei-Smith
Graves/Bereglazov-??

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if I would agree with Zaitsev comparison just yet, but he sounds a lot like NYR's own Brendan Smith at the moment.

I don't think he has the offensive upside, but I was more talking about te impact he can make.

Almost ALL the other teams also sign players for nothing, and they somehow keep their draft picks too.

Chicago got Panarin, Toronto got Zaitsev, but aside from those 2, I really do not see any big FA signings from Europe making an immediate impact. Sure, all teams sign free agents, but there is a difference between Vesey, Hayes, Bereglazov, Zaitsev, Panarin, Schultz and other free agent signings like Caggiula, Anas, Bengtsson, Sorensen or Plotnikov to name a few.

I honestly think Bereglazov, having seen him play in the KHL quite a lot (Games around dinner time for me), can make an impact similar to Zaitsev.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Are the Rangers after him?

It's unclear if he'll sign with Colorado. When Roy was there it was communicated to Butcher that the team wasn't going to sign him. Now Roy is gone and the team wants him. Whether or not he accepts is up in the air. If not, he's UFA on August 15 and you'd have to think the Rangers will be in on him like they are with everyone else.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's unclear if he'll sign with Colorado. When Roy was there it was communicated to Butcher that the team wasn't going to sign him. Now Roy is gone and the team wants him. Whether or not he accepts is up in the air. If not, he's UFA on August 15 and you'd have to think the Rangers will be in on him like they are with everyone else.
Why on earth would they do that?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Will Butcher?

Hmmmm....

I like Butcher. I see him going to UFA but not sure of his destination.

Hasn't been a talking piece out there.

Teams loved that headshot artist from college. Somewhere in the 20-25 team range of interest.

Going back to school probably means he's got a spot picked out. Possibly EDM.

Rangers need 4 defensemen that are legitimate prospects in the AHL.

Say Graves-Zboro make two.

Not sold on Gilmour's skating. Berez may make 3, but maybe he's an NHLer, even as a 7th.

Rangers then sign two college kids plus Day... then by next summer... you have depth again through another trade or two.

So I don't think it's as bleak as people make it to be.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kyle Woodlief from 2012

Bereglazov is a very large man-child at 6-4, 187 pounds with a big, raw-boned frame to fill out. At that size, he exhibits pretty good footwork around the defensive end, and shoots bombs from the point as a triggerman on the power play. He doesn't use his strength to full advantage by running guys through the boards, but he will pin his man in the corners and keep the crease clear. Bereglazov has the confidence to handle and make plays with the puck, and pretty fair hockey sense as well.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spo...012-06-13/nhl-draft-top-defensemen/55579426/1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->