Alexander Wennberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
To me it seems like his confidence is growing sky-high. He has confidence in himself to make passes he might not usually make, and even to not pass the puck and just hold onto instead. I agree he needs more goals, that will come in offseason shooting drills and work in training camp

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Talk to me when he gets 10 goals in a season something he will not he even come close to this year. He is the most overrated player on the team.

Great point! Seven goals isn't close to 10. I just wish he would show improvement in the rest of his game too. Maybe year three in North America he will show us something... Anything... You would think he would be a star by now with how good the rest of the team is.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Great point! Seven goals isn't close to 10. I just wish he would show improvement in the rest of his game too. Maybe year three in North America he will show us something... Anything... You would think he would be a star by now with how good the rest of the team is.

It's about 70% actually.
:sarcasm:

I just hope he can stay healthy next year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If you cut out wennbergs first 15 games of the year where he was going through injury and sickness, over the final 53 games he was on a 56 point 82 game pace. Not bad for a 21 year old 2Nd year centerman at all.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you cut out wennbergs first 15 games of the year where he was going through injury and sickness, over the final 53 games he was on a 56 point 82 game pace. Not bad for a 21 year old 2Nd year centerman at all.

Definitely not bad.

It's just tough to know when a young player is going to find that consistency.

We could have looked at the way Wennberg finished last year and it was way better than he started this year.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I want the Wennberg who went on a shooting spree shortly after being called out by Torts about 6-8 weeks ago. He sniped in 3rd period, didn't go, sniped in OT but hit post or crossbar IIRC, then sniped in SO for the winner. I didn't know he had a wrister like that until that night. Was missing some of the love some were giving to his potential. But became a fan of his that night - and want to see MORE of it.

I realize expecting that type of shooting performance night-in, night-out, is unrealistic.
But he has GOT to shoot the puck more - he's got talent at scoring when he shoots, AND if teams have to play the shot, that will open up even more passing lanes (and rebounds off pads) for him.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Definitely not bad.

It's just tough to know when a young player is going to find that consistency.

We could have looked at the way Wennberg finished last year and it was way better than he started this year.

Fans have forgotten how much Wennberg physically developed from end of last year to October. Hopefully he can continue to strengthen his core. Next year he can be one of the guys who pop.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I want the Wennberg who went on a shooting spree shortly after being called out by Torts about 6-8 weeks ago. He sniped in 3rd period, didn't go, sniped in OT but hit post or crossbar IIRC, then sniped in SO for the winner. I didn't know he had a wrister like that until that night. Was missing some of the love some were giving to his potential. But became a fan of his that night - and want to see MORE of it.

I realize expecting that type of shooting performance night-in, night-out, is unrealistic.
But he has GOT to shoot the puck more - he's got talent at scoring when he shoots, AND if teams have to play the shot, that will open up even more passing lanes (and rebounds off pads) for him.

If he's with players like Bjorkstrand and Saad we won't be seeing him shoot as much IMO. If he knows he has two goal scorers on his wings hes that much more likely to pass than he is to shoot it. Hopefully torts instills it into his head in training camp though

CBJfan44

Mar 13, 2015
If he's with players like Bjorkstrand and Saad we won't be seeing him shoot as much IMO. If he knows he has two goal scorers on his wings hes that much more likely to pass than he is to shoot it. Hopefully torts instills it into his head in training camp though

I'm 100% ok with Wennberg playing on a line with Saad and Bjorkstrand.

I hate to put a lot of pressure on Wennberg, but I think his development could play a huge factor in this team turning it around quickly and improving. The three things I'd like to see him improve on....

1) Confidence in his shot. I don't need him to shoot every time he has the puck, just have faith good things will happen putting it on net. He looked so tentative to shoot until Torts called him out.

2) Improve on faceoffs, won't beat this dead horse anymore.

3) Would like to see him add a few more pounds to his frame. It didn't happen often but there was a few times this year when he got thrown off the puck rather easily. It's bound to happen over the course of an 82 game season, but I think a little more mass will help his mental game too.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Every opposing goalie must wear pads that say "PASS HERE" next year.
Or every goalie in CBJ practice?

Reminds me of high school hotshot basketball player from years ago, but in reverse.
After several games of his high scoring (he was legit), but team losing tight games, captain (with coach's reluctant approval) buys t-shirts for the entire team (except for hotshot) to wear at next practice, with something like this on the front:

View attachment 89285

Took 5 minutes for him to get it, and took 10 minutes of running to cool him off, but by the end of 2nd practice, it had worked. Star player shared the rock, but scored even more on a fewer shots per game, and team consistently won from then on.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Dont look now, but Wennberg just surpassed Dubinsky for assists. Finished the season with 8 goals and 40 pts and a -1 on the season. Doubled his production from last season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Put me in the pro-Wennberg camp. He is developing nicely and doesn't do many stupid things on ice and as far as I have seen he doesn't float either. If Torts would leave him on a line with Saad & Bjorkstrand all next season I could see him challenging 60 points. If he shoots a bit more and improves his f/o's he will be the real deal.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Put me in the pro-Wennberg camp. He is developing nicely and doesn't do many stupid things on ice and as far as I have seen he doesn't float either. If Torts would leave him on a line with Saad & Bjorkstrand all next season I could see him challenging 60 points. If he shoots a bit more and improves his f/o's he will be the real deal.

The bolded - regardless of whom, will never happen, unless we go 82-0-0.
We are line-o-matic, regardless of coach.

But I agree with you.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
FWIW, and it probably isn't much but here are Alex Galchenyuk's goals for his first 4 -years:

9-13-20-30.

Just goes to show how some guys progress. And Montreal was a disaster of Jacket proportions (and maybe worse) post Price's injury.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Dont look now, but Wennberg just surpassed Dubinsky for assists. Finished the season with 8 goals and 40 pts and a -1 on the season. Doubled his production from last season.

That pass to Saad was sick. Kid is the real deal when it comes to setting up goals. He is a sublime passer. If he can score too, all the better.

FWIW, and it probably isn't much but here are Alex Galchenyuk's goals for his first 4 -years:

9-13-20-30.

Just goes to show how some guys progress. And Montreal was a disaster of Jacket proportions (and maybe worse) post Price's injury.

I would settle for Adam Oates-ish numbers - goals around 12-15, assists in the mid-40s (or better).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->