Alexander Wennberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
This kid is definetly special. The 'experts' say that this kid is going to be on the top line of an nhl team. He has become a fan favorite recently to fans. He is performing at a level that has exceeded expectations. The more I see him the more I believe he will be with the jackets on opening night.

However I believe that most CBJ fans are getting ahead of themselves on this guy...... Go back 10 years look at an organizations top draft pick. Was he the guy the people thought he was going to be? He probably was not as good as they though he would be but he was still probably a descent hockey player in the NHL. Many prospects get overrated just because they have faced talent that isn't as skilled as them.

Don't get me wrong I really like wennberg but I think that we should be prepared that many prospects fail to adapt to the NHL level to the way they have played before going pro. I'm still very excited to watch him play.

IHeartZherdev*

This kid is definetly special. The 'experts' say that this kid is going to be on the top line of an nhl team. He has become a fan favorite recently to fans. He is performing at a level that has exceeded expectations. The more I see him the more I believe he will be with the jackets on opening night.

However I believe that most CBJ fans are getting ahead of themselves on this guy...... Go back 10 years look at an organizations top draft pick. Was he the guy the people thought he was going to be? He probably was not as good as they though he would be but he was still probably a descent hockey player in the NHL. Many prospects get overrated just because they have faced talent that isn't as skilled as them.

Don't get me wrong I really like wennberg but I think that we should be prepared that many prospects fail to adapt to the NHL level to the way they have played before going pro. I'm still very excited to watch him play.

I don't really get this post. The same can be said for any first round draft pick in any organization. Fans of all teams get excited about the future when they have a talented young prospects, see flashes of skill at the lower levels, and hope it translates well into a bright NHL future. Sometimes it pans out sometimes it doesn't.

The real question: Does Wenny do rebounds?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Wennberg has played amongst men for many seasons now and has only trended upward. His adaption should be rather easy. Nobody expects him to get 30 goals in his rookie season or 60 points. He's a top prospect, not only for us, but in the entire NHL.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The real question: Does Wenny do rebounds?

Not sure if serious, but to answer the question: Wennberg scored far more goals last season than assists because of cashing in on rebounds. 16 goals and 5 assists despite being known as more of a playmaker. A lot of his goals weren't pretty, but the result of following up a nice pass to put in the rebound.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
I haven't watched many of his highlights or have done much research on the kid, but what NHL player would you compare him to?

aasdfsdfdsfg

Jul 19, 2007
Not sure if serious, but to answer the question: Wennberg scored far more goals last season than assists because of cashing in on rebounds. 16 goals and 5 assists despite being known as more of a playmaker. A lot of his goals weren't pretty, but the result of following up a nice pass to put in the rebound.

It's a joke, "Filly don't do rebounds" -Nikita Filatov

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's a joke, "Filly don't do rebounds" -Nikita Filatov

I get the reference, but Wennberg and Filatov are very different players. Wennberg isn't the same type of highly skilled Euro that there are questions about how his game will translate.

He dropped in the draft because some teams saw his upside as a 2nd or 3rd liner and seriously underrated his offensive skill.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Wennberg has played amongst men for many seasons now and has only trended upward. His adaption should be rather easy. Nobody expects him to get 30 goals in his rookie season or 60 points. He's a top prospect, not only for us, but in the entire NHL.

Yeah I wouldn't be as confident about him playing in the NHL this year if he had been playing junior hockey the last couple of years.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wennberg is as good as advertised

Yeah I wouldn't be as confident about him playing in the NHL this year if he had been playing junior hockey the last couple of years.

will his play translate to the NHL? I certainly think so - does this ? get asked of every Swedish player? If so too bad we couldn't have gotten in on Anze Kopitar before he grew into a friggin stud.

Wennberg reminds me of Mike Modano for some reason - smooth skater, with sniping ability and a nice wrist shot.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
will his play translate to the NHL? I certainly think so - does this ? get asked of every Swedish player? If so too bad we couldn't have gotten in on Anze Kopitar before he grew into a friggin stud.

Wennberg reminds me of Mike Modano for some reason - smooth skater, with sniping ability and a nice wrist shot.

Not to mention his IQ and playmaking abilities. Not saying this because they're both Swedish, but him and Hjalmarsson might fit together really well in either the NHL or AHL. Hjalmarsson seems to be the kind of player who can find the open ice and convert his opportunities and Wennberg seems to be able to create and convert a lot of his as well.

Definitely one of thr most exciting times to be a jacket fan

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

We should have drafted Kopitar, Doug MacLean overruled our scouting staff, who wanted Kopitar, and drafted Brule.

IHeartZherdev*

Not to mention his IQ and playmaking abilities. Not saying this because they're both Swedish, but him and Hjalmarsson might fit together really well in either the NHL or AHL. Hjalmarsson seems to be the kind of player who can find the open ice and convert his opportunities and Wennberg seems to be able to create and convert a lot of his as well.

Definitely one of thr most exciting times to be a jacket fan

How are you commenting on his IQ ? Watch a lot of the Swedish league do ya?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How are you commenting on his IQ ? Watch a lot of the Swedish league do ya?

No, but i read a lot of scouting reports , and damn near everything that the Jackets put out. And when our scouts, gm and president of hockey operations comment about how his hockey IQ is his greatest strength there usually tends to be some truth in it, ya know since our GM was regarded as one of the best scouts around. I get it, you have zero faith in JD/JK.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I heard this before and thought

We should have drafted Kopitar, Doug MacLean overruled our scouting staff, who wanted Kopitar, and drafted Brule.

Donny Boyd said that it wasn't true. Not that they didn't choose Brule, obviously they did, but that the scouting staff and Mgmt all chose Brule. I believe the same statement was made about MacLean choosing Zherdev over the scouts objections.

Donny is a pretty classy guy and likely wouldn't share this detail if it made Doug or others look bad. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Spartin03

Dec 9, 2009
The biggest asset of this club has been over that past few seasons; their draft picks has received high praise. Quality picks and picks that fit into their system.

Playing against men is one thing, but being a man is another. I think Wennberg has huge upside, but with the way the game is played here i think Rychel has a much better shot to fit into this lineup. Just my opinion, but kids with that size and some skill (ala Jenner) seem do progress into the NHL game easier than young European skill players.

i'll fully admit I've only seen Wennberg play a handful of times, and he will be good (could be great) but who does he replace on this team in the the lineup?

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
either we package anisimov to try to obtain top line winger to make room for wenneburg or move anisimov to wing (i would personally love that!)

jenner johansen horton
hartnell dubinsky anisimov
atkinson wenneburg foligno
calvert letestu hjalmarrson

i dont know about you guys but those lines look deep if the chemistry works

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
either we package anisimov to try to obtain top line winger to make room for wenneburg or move anisimov to wing (i would personally love that!)

jenner johansen horton
hartnell dubinsky anisimov
atkinson wenneburg foligno
calvert letestu hjalmarrson

i dont know about you guys but those lines look deep if the chemistry works

Orrrrr put Wennberg on the wing and keep Anisimov at center

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Wennberg is ready to play NHL hockey and he could probably score about 10-15 goals as a middle-six wing and still be responsible. But I'd prefer if he spends at least half the year in the AHL or until he steals a job. It's good for kids to do that.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Donny Boyd said that it wasn't true. Not that they didn't choose Brule, obviously they did, but that the scouting staff and Mgmt all chose Brule. I believe the same statement was made about MacLean choosing Zherdev over the scouts objections.

Donny is a pretty classy guy and likely wouldn't share this detail if it made Doug or others look bad. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Greats-Heartbreaks-Undercover-Secret/dp/0385664419

In this book, Gare Joyce talks about being around an NHL franchise during their pre-draft meetings and during the draft itself. This was the early-ish days of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

If I recall correctly, the room was split, with the scouting staff split between Dion Phaneuf and Thomas Vanek, but X-GMDM vetoing them all to take Nikolai Zherdev. For what it's worth, it's out there.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think I will read the book..

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Greats-Heartbreaks-Undercover-Secret/dp/0385664419

In this book, Gare Joyce talks about being around an NHL franchise during their pre-draft meetings and during the draft itself. This was the early-ish days of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

If I recall correctly, the room was split, with the scouting staff split between Dion Phaneuf and Thomas Vanek, but X-GMDM vetoing them all to take Nikolai Zherdev. For what it's worth, it's out there.

You are confirming XGM MacLean over ruled the scouts for Zherdev. The original poster quoted this about Brule over Kopitar. I think I will read the book just because I find that **** fascinating. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->