Alexander Vasyunov?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
kidhander said:
Back following your Rangers homeboy.........................................

It's your impulsive judgment that makes you jump the gun like this (Mr. PEREZHOGIN :sarcasm: ). But in all seriousness, everything I said was objective... I have nothing against Russian people as a whole, and I acknowledge that some of the best players have come from there.

As for the Rangers... well, in October you, me and everyone else thought they'd finish dead last. So I'm not disappointed in the least.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
superroyain10 said:
The guy was making a valid observation...

I can't speak about the defense (maybe its because Russian coaches encourage offensive development, which has created guys like Kovalchuk and Bure), but the problems with work ethic may be that many Russian players come from upper-class families, where because most things in life are handed to them, they don't have to work for much and are not used to working really hard.

Like I said, I've never heard of Alexander having a work ethic problem. The fact that he is not a defensive player in the least (nor does he try to be) doesn't suggest that he has a work ethic problem.

He's a bit of a show boat at times and a bit of a me-first player, but I've never heard of him having a problem or anything like that.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
Hmm...I don't remember how Afinogenov was being heralded as in his draft year. Was he ever considered an elite prospect? Did people question his work ethic and attitude, or his defensive awareness?
For what i can remember, Maxim was considered a top prospect early on in his draft year.
He didn't have a strong season, there were concerns about his size, fears he would become just a peripherical player in North America (even if he already looked fearless in traffic to me) and moreover, he had pretty poor numbers to show for a skilled winger.
These were probably the main factors that made him fall harder than expected, as far as pick #69.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
BobMarleyNYR said:
It's your impulsive judgment that makes you jump the gun like this (Mr. PEREZHOGIN :sarcasm: ). But in all seriousness, everything I said was objective... I have nothing against Russian people as a whole, and I acknowledge that some of the best players have come from there.

Yes, i was too impulsive but i hate when people generalize in that way because it is unfair.

As for the Rangers... well, in October you, me and everyone else thought they'd finish dead last. So I'm not disappointed in the least.

I am an Avs fan but i don't dislike the rangers either. Go Jagr ;)

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
kidhander said:
Yes, i was too impulsive but i hate when people generalize in that way because it is unfair.

I am an Avs fan but i don't dislike the rangers either. Go Jagr ;)

I guess I've just seen it more in Russian kids, and Czechs sometimes. It wasn't exactly a negative comment, it's just two different styles of hockey. For instance, I think Kaigodorov would be right there with Kovalchuk and AO, but because he doesn't play a NA style (not necessarily a bad thing) I think he will just be a borderline first liner.

I'm glad you like the Rangers... it's a hard job to do!

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
I don't think that the majority of Russian players come out of rich families. On the contrary - they come out of working-class families, and all the childhood expenses are covered by their original cub. Kinda gives you a legitimate reason why Russian clubs don't like to give out their prospects to America for a couple of hundred thousand dollars. Russian hockey players are brought up like European soccer players; the best post-USSR soccer player Andriy Shevchenko went to Milan for around 20 million dollars back in 1997. He's one of the best soccer players in the world; well, Russian clubs don't make as many talented soccer players and they make hockey superstars. So they ask for money.. what's the incentive, otherwise, to invest so much in hockey schools?

so that comment goes out of the water. Frankly, I don't want to blame it on kids. If it weren't for the scouts, thanks to whom seven or eight Russians were selected in the first round of 2000 draft, and only one or two of them panned out, maybe we wouldn't raise such high expectations. Look at last draft year - kids like Yemelin and Zubarev, both selected in 3rd and 6th rounds, became great defensemen in the Russian league. This is the way it should be.

Also, I think many people are too quick to judge on certain players. Most of kids like Vasyunov play in lower Russian leagues in cities like Yaroslavl, Magnitogorsk, Omsk.. Thousands of miles away from the judgmental fingers of the majority of posters at HFBoards. One scout says that Vasyunov is a kid with a bad attitude, and the rumour reaches the impressionable mind of a North American draft guru who completely blows it out of proportion. Oh, he doesn't play defense - then he must have a bad attitude. Oh, he scored a goal and.... RAISED HIS HANDS UP HIGH!!!! and started to.... SMILE and LAUGH!!! Oh no. That's so unclassy. He should rather be one of those Soviet robots who showed no emotion. That's more like it.

It's just that when Sidney Crosby celebrates a goal, we say: "aawww, look at him celebrating, take a picture.." When Sidney Crosby plays out a penalty, we say: "great job by Sidney, draws a penalty for his team."

Many Russian players do need some screws reattached, no question about that. But generalizations are always stupid. When an example of a Canadian player being lazy resurfaces (Alexandre Daigle), it's always: "well, Canadians are in the majority. There'll be some who are gonna be outliers." What a no-lose situation in which we can just bash the living lights out of Russian hockey!

Popcorn_Shrimp*

if he drops as low as ...saaaaay a second round pick
i'd grabhim its hard to judge how much heart a player has while hes playing overseas on a russian team we dont know much about.
Although its not hard to judge his skating shooting passing ability, he has an elite skillset.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This is from Mckeen's

"very one-dimensional with contempt for defense .. doesn't pick his spots well, takes odd shifts off .. floats, devoid of intensity in his own end "

They do mention his elite offense (great speed and quickness, good vision and an NHL calibre shot) but have him falling to the 2nd round due to his "refusal to play defense"

Sounds like a big time boom or bust pick. If a team drafts him I think they should bring him over ASAP and start beating some defense into him. It's seems like unless someone does that, he won't be an NHL player. Oh and Mckeen's also mentions that he needs to bulk up a bit as well.

CH Wizard

s7ark said:
This is from Mckeen's

"very one-dimensional with contempt for defense .. doesn't pick his spots well, takes odd shifts off .. floats, devoid of intensity in his own end "

They do mention his elite offense (great speed and quickness, good vision and an NHL calibre shot) but have him falling to the 2nd round due to his "refusal to play defense"

Now that the nhl has changed...should it really matter? In the defensive era (last year)...i'd have been worried a lil' bit much. :teach:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
A lot of the Russians are soft, have no heart, and are very skilled offensive minded players with poor attitudes and contempt for defence is a huge generalization going back to the 72' series. Every Russian forward has been accused of this including Ovechkin. Truth is, beyond the stigma... even Bure hit and chipped in on defence.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Saprykin said:
I don't think that the majority of Russian players come out of rich families. On the contrary - they come out of working-class families

Bingo. I don't think they're spoiled, I'm assuming they want to be the best so they often try to shine and neglect other things.

I didn't think I was generalizing, just wondering why this was the case... or maybe even why it is a misconception, like the above poster said. The only generalization I make is that hockey players all play hockey, and people are all the same also!

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
The Great One said:
Now that the nhl has changed...should it really matter? In the defensive era (last year)...i'd have been worried a lil' bit much. :teach:

So because there are more goals that are scored, players shouldn't know how to play defense anymore?

I'd think it's the other way around.

X-SHARKIE

From what I hear, people question his instincts and hockey sense, and have more of an issue with that than his one dimensional play. You can teach defense (and yes, it's even more important now in the new NHL) but hockey sense and instincts you cannot.

Vasyunov is the biggest tease of the draft, he absolute amaze you with an end to end rush and has a huge shot, but he can also be a non factor for every other shift.

3rd rounder for me.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
superroyain10 said:
Russian players come from upper-class families, where because most things in life are handed to them, they don't have to work for much and are not used to working really hard.

This also applies to the majority of hockey players from Atom to the NHL.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It's true. Hockey is a very expensive sport to play, compared to sports like basketball and football and baseball, not to mention much more demanding as far as time and effort, which is taxing both on players and their families.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
superroyain10 said:
He is a solid two-way defenseman who has a mean streak and is very tough. With that size, u can't go wrong. A very raw prospect who has huge upside, he plays a very simple game. Sometimes he gets too dangerous and flashy with the puck, and makes mistakes. But he is a growing prospect, and mistakes are to be expected as he develops.

Some people say he has no offensive talent because of his stats, but he has a lot of undeveloped offensive potential. The few times he has the confidence to experiment in the offensive zone, his above-average passing skills and his hard shot are very evident. He maybe not be one of the top 50 of draft-available players in current ability, but he has the qualities of a good #2-#3 D-man. Since I am a Sharks fan, I'd compare his future upside to a tougher and meaner version of Mike Rathje. He certainly has more heart. If he develops the offensive side of his game, he could be even more dangerous.

Sounds exactly like Bryan Allen.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
It's true. Hockey is a very expensive sport to play, compared to sports like basketball and football and baseball, not to mention much more demanding as far as time and effort, which is taxing both on players and their families.
That's why it doesn't really apply to Russia. If a player is talented, the team will find the means to invest in him or her. The parents won't. And then that's why over the past 10 years or so we see Russian hockey players being tied to their clubs who seek to reach long-term agreements with the investments that they have nurtured for so long.

eliasISawesome

Oct 12, 2004
Well if any team can make him a better Defensive player its the Devils.

I hope he turns out to be something special. We need players like this, only one right now on the Devs like him is Elias in terms of offensive skills

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Well if any team can make him a better Defensive player its the Devils.

I hope he turns out to be something special. We need players like this, only one right now on the Devs like him is Elias in terms of offensive skills

not if they treat him like they did Suglobov, which they will

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Suglobov back checks he just makes poor descions with the puck alot.
No he doesn't....Suglobov lazes back down the ice and doesn't cover anyone. Maybe in camp he had a fire but that will die out. Suglobov could be effective with two 2way forwards on his line like Stajan and Steen...thats about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->