News Article: Alexander Steen retires. We missed you Steener.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hated that trade the minute it was announced. Usually trades take some time to digest, but it was absolutely awful right from the start.
Ha it was gross instantly for me too. Dubas is so much better than all of them at a much younger age. He has much to learn but has a very bright future ahead of him. He adjusts and admits it is what i like about him. That goes over well in Leaf fans eyes.
I can comfortably say i know he would never do a trade that bad unless of course it’s a cap dump or allowing a Ufa to walk scenario. Kappy and Johnsson were cap dumps but the return was phenomenal in this financial climate and really good at normal times.
Steen was as determined a player as his dad. Thats my best compliment for him. His dad was a warrior.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good luck to Steener. Hoping he feels better resting that back in retirement. To bad Fletcher didn’t retire before he got to trade him on us. A true favourite by Leafers.
I always thought Fletcher had traded him because Ron Wilson was either playing Steen on the 4th line or making him a healthy scratch. Either way it was a bad trade and I wonder if Brian Burke would have made the same move, since he was officially hired a few days later.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I always thought Fletcher had traded him because Ron Wilson was either playing Steen on the 4th line or making him a healthy scratch. Either way it was a bad trade and I wonder if Brian Burke would have made the same move, since he was officially hired a few days later.
Yeah yeah thats true to that tune. Wilson didn’t like Steen or Carlo. It’s in the link that was true. Wilson was horrible. Just a ignorant piece of work. Bragged about his wins record etc lol. Just a arrogant tool

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I never understood why they traded him. At the time, Stempniak had some potential but Steen was clearly the best player. Thought he was our future captain too. Happy he, Gunnar, and Bozak got their cups.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
There are downsides to giving your head coach too much power with the make up of the team. Ron Wilson didn't like Steen (and Colaiacovo). It was really weird with regards to Steen. He started his first season under Wilson in the doghouse before the season even started. Steen had been feted by the previous management and coach plus given enviable regular wing time with future Hall of Famer Sundin. I remember Steen acting like he expected to be a team leader going into that season. I don't know if that rubbed Mr. I'm-an-alpha Wilson the wrong way.

Anyways after getting traded, Steen sucked in St. Louis that season too and into the first few months of the next season (2g 3a in 20 games). At this point in his career, Steen was all hustle, bravery and fancy flourishes with suspect skating and hard luck finish. Was he playing hurt? What ever the reason, his skating steadily improved to above average and his work ethic carried him forward into being an excellent two way forward. His hockey career was resurrected in St. Louis.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
He was very good with us at one point and had such talent. See ya later, alligator. In a while, crocodile.
Not that I have ever spoke to you, but this is the first time I have ever seen you post without using slang. Is everything okay?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sad! Definitely one of thr more regrettable decisions during the dark days of the cap era for threads was his trade.

Wilson was fine tactically, but he was always such a mess in terms of personnel management and development

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Congratulations on your retirement Alexander Steen.

It's a shame you couldn't have retired as a Leaf, but alas, you have a Stanley Cup championship instead.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I remember being excited for him to come to Toronto.... there was that highlight of him doing a 180 move and going to the net and scoring in the SHL. He played on Forsberg's team during the lockout.... he comes to Toronto....then Wilson and Fletcher happened. Colaiacovo and Steen weren't the only ones saying AND? Shocking how obviously bad a deal made by a GM with that kind of experience could be....

As earlier stated... could have had Pronger for steen and Kaberle and we ended up with Stempniak, Colborne, Biggs ....

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Oh yeah definitely. I can remember it ruined my day at the time. Fletchers eyes looked like he was having pre onset dementia at the time to. Lol he looked crazy ha. Nutty trade :)
Cliff was clearly history when he took over the second time. MOST of the moves he made in that interim period made no sense. I remember thinking, "Cliff, they brought you in to start a retool, NOT unload the entire under-25 group for nothing!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad