News Article: Alexander Steen retires. We missed you Steener.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Good luck to Steener. Hoping he feels better resting that back in retirement. To bad Fletcher didn’t retire before he got to trade him on us. A true favourite by Leafers.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Carlo was a true Leaf too. A all time low spot for the franchise that we are still recovering from. The team was gutted and mismanagement was flavour of the years then. Ron Wilson was a piece of work,ignorant tool. Oh it was bad. We should enjoy what we have now more.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Didn't Cliff make that trade like a couple of weeks before Burke came over? Sigh still don't understand the logic behind it. Guy had a good career and got a well deserved cup win a couple years back. Enjoy your retirement Alex.
Yeah i put that read in the links there. Yes it was days before Burke took over. Fletcher destroyed us pretty bad.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Yeah i put that read in the links there. Yes it was days before Burke took over. Fletcher destroyed us pretty bad.
Definitely has to rank in the top 10 worst trades in Leaf history. Either one of Steen or Coli would have been overpayment, but both?!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Definitely has to rank in the top 10 worst trades in Leaf history. Either one of Steen or Coli would have been overpayment, but both?!
Oh yeah definitely. I can remember it ruined my day at the time. Fletchers eyes looked like he was having pre onset dementia at the time to. Lol he looked crazy ha. Nutty trade :)

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Seeing people complain about the team now a days makes you wonder if they forget about these dark days. Ferguson was god awful, they bring in Fletcher like the gilmour trade will happen again. Too bad about Steen, he should have had a few more years in him without the back injury.

Reactions: Once

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who knows how things would have materialized had he remained a Leaf? What we do know is how the trade "worked out" for Toronto. Both Steen and Colaiacovo achieved their best with the Blues. Unfortunately for the Leafs, the same was true for Stempniak.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Who knows how things would have materialized had he remained a Leaf? What we do know is how the trade "worked out" for Toronto. Both Steen and Colaiacovo achieved their best with the Blues. Unfortunately for the Leafs, the same was true for Stempniak.
Haha yeah well put :)

Reactions: Buds17

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Seeing people complain about the team now a days makes you wonder if they forget about these dark days. Ferguson was god awful, they bring in Fletcher like the gilmour trade will happen again. Too bad about Steen, he should have had a few more years in him without the back injury.
These are the good old days ha but nobody sees it ha. To busy hung up on being beat by stanley cup champs in first rounds. Don’t say that arrrrgh. It’s a excuse :)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Haha yeah well put :)

I wish it weren't. :) Thanks.

Strange trade. Strange too in having it made by a placeholder GM so close to the end of his tenure. Fletcher was actually very active in shaking up the team considering that he was in the role on an interim basis.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Amongst other terrible trades, this one slips through the cracks. Awful management of assets by leafs here.

Enjoy retirement !

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I recall JFJ could of had Pronger for Kaberle and Steen but JFJ insisted on Stajan instead and the trade falls through.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Blues fans have got to be feeling relieved. They got out of their cap crunch without giving up any assets, and even getting a decent pick out of Allen.

Reactions: Buds17

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He was very good with us at one point and had such talent. See ya later, alligator. In a while, crocodile.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Blues fans have got to be feeling relieved. They got out of their cap crunch without giving up any assets, and even getting a decent pick out of Allen.

Noting, he isn't really retiring, he is going on LTIR. This will help them once the season starts of course, but it is a nuance that is important until then.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Noting, he isn't really retiring, he is going on LTIR. This will help them once the season starts of course, but it is a nuance that is important until then.

Since he is 35+, I am pretty sure the Blues wanted him on LTIR, but I knew he was going on LTIR. Nobody outright retires; it is always on LTIR until expiry and then an "official" retirement after that.

If he retires, his cap hit is still fully on the books, or at least it should be... It would make no sense for the 35+ rule to apply only when a guy signs it after he is 35... It should kick in for any contract years when the player is 35+, and Steen is 36.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
No matter what, post Sundin and "Muskoka 5", the Leafs were headed for multiple years of struggles.

But boy did it take way longer than necessary. We essentially gave Rask, Steen, and Stralman away for almost nothing. The Kessel trade backfired hard, and if anything, we would have drafted even higher had we kept the picks and not done the trade. Kaberle refused to waive his NTC for the alleged Jeff Carter + 1st package. Etc.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Since he is 35+, I am pretty sure the Blues wanted him on LTIR, but I knew he was going on LTIR. Nobody outright retires; it is always on LTIR until expiry and then an "official" retirement after that.

If he retires, his cap hit is still fully on the books, or at least it should be... It would make no sense for the 35+ rule to apply only when a guy signs it after he is 35... It should kick in for any contract years when the player is 35+, and Steen is 36.

He was 32 when he signed his current contract. So, if he actually retired, his contract would come off the books.

I agree the current rules don't really make much sense, but it is, what it is.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Stempniak was so bad here too it really adds to the sting. Typical old school Leafs move though. Sell low on talented youth. Glad that has finally changed.

I really liked Carlo too as a defenseman. He would have been a solid #3 or higher if he could have just stayed healthy. Unfortunately though he was the Joffrey Lupul of defenseman.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh man reading the posts of everyone brings back memories of bad times. Loved Steener, great guy, good player. Carlo too was awesome. I felt like pulling my hair out at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->