Alexander Semin's Moves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwOOsh*

Anyone watching Semin run the powerplay for the Capitals right now =)

Kabers

Mar 20, 2004
Maryland
SwOOsh said:
Anyone watching Semin run the powerplay for the Capitals right now =)

This is why I love watching Semin so much. He's only 20 years old and yet he is running the power play like a seasoned vet. He is so calm and has such composure to go along with his great vision on the ice. When he's on the PP, he rarely takes the shot himself -- instead he looks to set up the other guys and always manages to fire an incredible pass that almost always results in a goal. His efforts out there are definitely why Halpern and Miller keep racking up points. Semin's already got a PP goal tonite and another beautiful PP assist to go along with his two point performance last game against the Rags.

I think he's already begun to give up that flashy play of the youngster. In fact, I've been noticing recently that even when he's not on the PP, he is definitely looking to pass more than shoot, as opposed to earllier this year when he never seemed to want to give up the puck. Hanlon benched Semin earlier in the season to teach the kid a lesson that in order to play he had to shape up and be responsible defensively. Semin has really responded since then and his defensive play, although far from perfect, does improve with every game. He's also definitely got an edge to his game that's refreshing and has actually jumped into a few scrums this year.

I'm not trying to be a homer or anything, but I am just absolutely in awe of Semin's talent. Maybe it's just because he's the lone bright spot in a dismal season and one of the few things to inspire any type of excitement or hope in Caps fans recently. But I do think once he puts on some weight and learns to stay on his skates, he'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

st_roland

Kabers said:
This is why I love watching Semin so much. He's only 20 years old and yet he is running the power play like a seasoned vet. He is so calm and has such composure to go along with his great vision on the ice. When he's on the PP, he rarely takes the shot himself -- instead he looks to set up the other guys and always manages to fire an incredible pass that almost always results in a goal. His efforts out there are definitely why Halpern and Miller keep racking up points. Semin's already got a PP goal tonite and another beautiful PP assist to go along with his two point performance last game against the Rags.

I think he's already begun to give up that flashy play of the youngster. In fact, I've been noticing recently that even when he's not on the PP, he is definitely looking to pass more than shoot, as opposed to earllier this year when he never seemed to want to give up the puck. Hanlon benched Semin earlier in the season to teach the kid a lesson that in order to play he had to shape up and be responsible defensively. Semin has really responded since then and his defensive play, although far from perfect, does improve with every game. He's also definitely got an edge to his game that's refreshing and has actually jumped into a few scrums this year.

I'm not trying to be a homer or anything, but I am just absolutely in awe of Semin's talent. Maybe it's just because he's the lone bright spot in a dismal season and one of the few things to inspire any type of excitement or hope in Caps fans recently. But I do think once he puts on some weight and learns to stay on his skates, he'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but i'm thinking that Sasha might be our best draft pick since Sergei.

We'll see, but i'm hopeful.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
st_roland said:
I might be getting ahead of myself, but i'm thinking that Sasha might be our best draft pick since Sergei.

You're coming around. ;)

If Semin maintains his pace, he'll catch up to guys like Eric Staal in the top ten having played 20-30+ less games, while registering 12 min. a game.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
st_roland said:

Sasha? Getting into the pet names already?
anyway....may I say that I am struck by how strong pair Semin and Halpern seem to be. That's a pair you would never have seen coming.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
txpd said:
anyway....may I say that I am struck by how strong pair Semin and Halpern seem to be. That's a pair you would never have seen coming.

It's called Halpern holding on for dear life so he won't be shipped out.

No... it's more along the lines of, it is someone who has a little speed and has more talent then the rest of the bunch, so Semin is helping him out a lot.

The one thing that I like about him that hasn't been mentioned is how much some of the guys are taking to him. I think Witt's comments were telling, where he talked about how much he thinks Semin will be a prankster and one of the guys. He seems to just have youthful enthusiasm, and a desire to be one of the guys.

Now, a little bit cocky, sure, but a lot of good players have been cocky.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
txpd said:

Sasha is the short form of Aleksandr. i.e. Jim for James. Unless you consider Jim a pet name as well, then you're just being consistent.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Chimaera said:
It's called Halpern holding on for dear life so he won't be shipped out.

No... it's more along the lines of, it is someone who has a little speed and has more talent then the rest of the bunch, so Semin is helping him out a lot.

The one thing that I like about him that hasn't been mentioned is how much some of the guys are taking to him. I think Witt's comments were telling, where he talked about how much he thinks Semin will be a prankster and one of the guys. He seems to just have youthful enthusiasm, and a desire to be one of the guys.

Now, a little bit cocky, sure, but a lot of good players have been cocky.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself.. especially after I heard negative reports from some people saying he didn't wanna learn english or be part of the "crew"...I think that was bullsheet. As for the cocky thing, yeah he is cocky...see the way he celebrates goals haha. He's got a lot of energy and when he scores..Hey I think another Russian superstar winger does the same thing.. Koval-something I think :joker:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sammy said:
Well, my point is that I dunno if I have ever seen a thread where an 8 goal scorer who was not picked in the top 2 or 3 players in a draft has been mentioned so consistenly as virtually a guaranteed superstar (hyperbole, but get my point).

Have you ever seen Semin play, Sammy??

And give me an honest answer, not some "sure I have!" :dunno:

JackDaniel

Dec 14, 2003
SneakerPimp82 said:
Sasha is the short form of Aleksandr. i.e. Jim for James. Unless you consider Jim a pet name as well, then you're just being consistent.

Aleksandr!!!!

Wow!! What a cultural showing here!!! :D :handclap:

No kidding... This kid reminds me a lot of Pavel Datsyuk in is first year... a lot of skills, talent and dazzeling moves and looks to be scared to shoot the puck.

Look at Dats having more responsabilities... and Semin since every good players as been dealt this year...

He's gone a be a good one... very good one!!!

JD

Sammy*

Ridley Simon said:
Have you ever seen Semin play, Sammy??

And give me an honest answer, not some "sure I have!" :dunno:
Nope. But that doesnt take away from my points.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Even as a Caps' fan, I think some are jumping the gun on Semin...he's played beyond expectations this year but we're still atleast another year or two away from knowing what kind of player we actually have on our hands...had Semin played the entire season, he certainly would be top 5 in rookie scoring...even when Cassidy was benching him for lengths of time, he would come back and score a point or two...the notable difference between and his first a couple of games is he's not trying to stick handle through players as much as before...I orginally thought of him as a goal scorer but he's looking like he's a real playmaker...even though he tends to get knock around in traffic and the boards, he'll still take the body to make the play and for a player of his size, i think thats suprising...Hanlon is going to let Semin the rest of the season to run loose and see what he's really capable of, if he isnt sent down to portland but i dont know what the deal with that is...depending on the lockout situation, 20g 20a season is a good bet...I hope he's the real deal, but like a few people said, its way too early to know...cant believe this our first really offensive minded prospect to play significant nhl minutes since Zednik

I dont think Semin will turn out to be as good as Kovalchuk...Semin has alot of raw skill but Kovalchuk is the perfect goal scorer package...maybe he's closer to Gaborik or Hejduk

Semin's Hightest Potential:
35-40g 40a
top 10 point scorer
top 10 goal scorer
doubt any trophies

Semin's Lowest Potential:
20g 20a

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
BMWM3owner said:
Even as a Caps' fan, I think some are jumping the gun on Semin...he's played beyond expectations this year but we're still atleast another year or two away from knowing what kind of player we actually have on our hands...had Semin played the entire season, he certainly would be top 5 in rookie scoring...even when Cassidy was benching him for lengths of time, he would come back and score a point or two...the notable difference between and his first a couple of games is he's not trying to stick handle through players as much as before...I orginally thought of him as a goal scorer but he's looking like he's a real playmaker...even though he tends to get knock around in traffic and the boards, he'll still take the body to make the play and for a player of his size, i think thats suprising...Hanlon is going to let Semin the rest of the season to run loose and see what he's really capable of, if he isnt sent down to portland but i dont know what the deal with that is...depending on the lockout situation, 20g 20a season is a good bet...I hope he's the real deal, but like a few people said, its way too early to know...cant believe this our first really offensive minded prospect to play significant nhl minutes since Zednik

I dont think Semin will turn out to be as good as Kovalchuk...Semin has alot of raw skill but Kovalchuk is the perfect goal scorer package...maybe he's closer to Gaborik or Hejduk

Semin's Hightest Potential:
35-40g 40a
top 10 point scorer
top 10 goal scorer
doubt any trophies

Semin's Lowest Potential:
20g 20a

That's about right on the spot BMW. I agree. Though it'd be excititing to see what he could do with Ovechkin, or Malkin, even Olesz.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sammy said:
Nope. But that doesnt take away from my points.

right.

That's like taking a movie review from someone who's never seen the movie. In court, it's called "hearsay", and it's not admissable.

You're validity level just went down quite a few ratchets in my book. How can you criticize without even seeing the product????

Sammy*

Ridley Simon said:
right.

That's like taking a movie review from someone who's never seen the movie. In court, it's called "hearsay", and it's not admissable.

You're validity level just went down quite a few ratchets in my book. How can you criticize without even seeing the product????
Where did I criticize the guy? I simply indicated that for an eight goal scorer he sure was been hyped (which he sure was in this thread)& that db, when he injected a bit more of a tempered point of view was accused (or so I thought) of hating the guy, which I disagreed with.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
No one has compared Semin to Ales Hemsky? That's gotta be one of the better comparisons and more realistic than Kovy or Hejduk.

st_roland

dink182 said:
No one has compared Semin to Ales Hemsky? That's gotta be one of the better comparisons and more realistic than Kovy or Hejduk.

I think because its nice to compare prospects to established NHLers, not other prospects(Although neither are actually prospects, i just use that term because both are still developing). As for that, i'd say Tanguay is a pretty good comparison in terms of his passing and finishing skills. A bit stronger on the pass, but a SICK, sick finisher too.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I understand where Sammy is coming from, this is a lot of speculation on a guy who was picked farther down then some of the other prospects out there. And though people thought he had talent, no one was sure he had the size or could adjust to the NHL straight from Russia at this point.

I figured at best, he'd be a good year or two away from contributing regularly. Which is what he's able to do right now, with a supporting cast that is not top notch in anyway. Give him a few talented linemates, and I think the potential point production of this kid is going to go up immensely. His ceiling for how good he could be is up there with a lot of other players.

It says quite a lot when you're all of 19, and the power play runs through you. When he is on the Ice, he's running the power play from the slot/faceoff circle, dishing out passes to Miller, redirects for Halpern or taking shots. His poise and comfort operating in these situations is showing something.

As for the knock that he's scared to shoot, I disagree. He's logged a lot of shots for team that doesn't shoot that much. He's just trying to fit in as the younger player and be unselfish. He takes his share of shots, but is looking to create since Defenders seem to migrate towards him, anticipating moves.

One last thing, he's added a few more goals to that number of 8. Believe he's at 10 now.

Still has a ways to go, but the future is bright.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Hmm...we'll see. Semin has sick potential.

so did alexander daigle...

and yes i have seen semin play, about 5 times or so.

You are right, he has an amazing skill set. This year, Rick Nash is hurtin' to lead the league in goals with 40, so i think somewhere around 35-40 is as much as he will score in a season, if that at all.

Semin has no talent around him, which should change after the draft, but having no one else to compete with for ice time is a good thing.

Hopefully he wil fully develop, but even after that, 35-40 is the most i see for him.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
pavel datsyuk said:
Semin has no talent around him, which should change after the draft, but having no one else to compete with for ice time is a good thing.

Hopefully he wil fully develop, but even after that, 35-40 is the most i see for him.
Well, the draft is surely going to help, but even without the draft, the Caps have Fehr, Aulin, Klepis, Johansson, and Fleischmann waiting in the wings already. Many of those players are flawed in some ways, but they are all thought to be offensively capable, and projected for somewhere in the vicinity of second-line NHL potential. Some may not make it, but some probably will.

It's not as though the cupboard is bare, just because the current NHL iteration of the NHL team is full of placeholders. There is a maturing cast of prospects expected to complement Semin already in juniors, most of it from the same 2002 draft class as Semin. He will likely keep first-line ice time, and have offensive players to complement him. Numbers ought not to decline, one would think.

I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but reasonably high production looks probable. If he can top point per game, great, but it's not necessarily a requirement if his supporting cast lends production support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad