Alexander Semin's Moves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I swear.. I'm by no means being a homer or by no means saying he's better than anyone but the moves this kid has look so similar to Kovalchuk's in his first year it's scary. I had him penciled in as a 30+40 point guy but I'm starting to see more of a 45+40 player..the kid not only has amazing goal scoring abilities and those sick moves I spoke of but he has great vision and doesn't mind giving it up(he's already got 2 points tonight). I think he's gonna be a superstar in this league for years to come...Curious what other people think of him(beside's he dives too much.. yeah yeah so did Kovalchuk).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I_r_1337 said:
I swear.. I'm by no means being a homer or by no means saying he's better than anyone but the moves this kid has look so similar to Kovalchuk's in his first year it's scary. I had him penciled in as a 30+40 point guy but I'm starting to see more of a 45+40 player..the kid not only has amazing goal scoring abilities and those sick moves I spoke of but he has great vision and doesn't mind giving it up(he's already got 2 points tonight). I think he's gonna be a superstar in this league for years to come...Curious what other people think of him(beside's he dives too much.. yeah yeah so did Kovalchuk).

My avatar says it all. :handclap:

Semin is dazzling. Did you see him go red-line to goal-line again tonight?

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
kids got skills but he is not in the same class as kovalchuk and co

30+40 is realistic imo

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
in the hall said:
kids got skills but he is not in the same class as kovalchuk and co

30+40 is realistic imo

All that Semin appears to lack is the size, but he supplants it with ridiculous speed and elusiveness.

40-50 G

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Analyzing a players future success is not only a matter of gauging skill, but also examining the circumstances of how that player came into the NHL.

Just think, how many young, small russian forwards come into the NHL and have immediate success?. Most young Russian players run into copious difficulties on their way to being a true NHL talent. What amazes me about Semin, is his immediate success. He's having growing pains, yes, but not nearly as much as other rookies. He's instincts and moves are flashier, more dazzling and more jaw dropping than anyone I've ever seen in a caps sweater (except maybe Jagr, but even he didn't show that much in DC). You've gotta understand how exciting this is for a caps fan who has never seen such a talented rookie play on my team (I'm pretty young so I became a fan after Bondra's emergence as a goal scorer).

I can be pretty confident that I say Semin will score 20+ goals in the next full season, whenever that may be. In the end I don't doubt that he will score 40 goals on a pretty regular season to season basis. I can't wait to see this kid emerge as a dominant force who makes defensemen piss their pants (Eric Brewer anyone?).

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Bonzai said:
Analyzing a players future success is not only a matter of gauging skill, but also examining the circumstances of how that player came into the NHL.

Just think, how many young, small russian forwards come into the NHL and have immediate success?. Most young Russian players run into copious difficulties on their way to being a true NHL talent. What amazes me about Semin, is his immediate success. He's having growing pains, yes, but not nearly as much as other rookies. He's instincts and moves are flashier, more dazzling and more jaw dropping than anyone I've ever seen in a caps sweater (except maybe Jagr, but even he didn't show that much in DC). You've gotta understand how exciting this is for a caps fan who has never seen such a talented rookie play on my team (I'm pretty young so I became a fan after Bondra's emergence as a goal scorer).

I can be pretty confident that I say Semin will score 20+ goals in the next full season, whenever that may be. In the end I don't doubt that he will score 40 goals on a pretty regular season to season basis. I can't wait to see this kid emerge as a dominant force who makes defensemen piss their pants (Eric Brewer anyone?).

Agreed.

Semin reminds me so much of Jagr in his rookie season with Pitt. Only Alex isn't playing with Lemieux, Francis, etc. His skill drops more jaws than Jagr's and he has an invaluable skating stride that really marginalizes his lack of size ala Gretzky and lesser talents.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
semin really impressed me, but i don't think a jagr comparison is that accurate.

jagr is a beast on the puck, and may have been harder to knock off the puck than anyone who's ever played. size is an advantage that jagr has on semin.

semin seems to have some really good offensive instincts and i dont think a 40 gl 50 assist ceiling is that unreasonable.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Dark Metamorphosis said:
semin really impressed me, but i don't think a jagr comparison is that accurate.

jagr is a beast on the puck, and may have been harder to knock off the puck than anyone who's ever played. size is an advantage that jagr has on semin.

semin seems to have some really good offensive instincts and i dont think a 40 gl 50 assist ceiling is that unreasonable.

Semin can't compare to Jagr's center of gravity, that much is certain and I agree with you wholeheartedly. But what I meant to imply is that his skating stride is so smooth, and so elusive, that his size has been nearly irrelevant. This from a kid who came into camp weighing 180-185? Alex also has a little chip on his shoulder; something I never saw in Jagr. It helps down low.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Considering that it's possible no NHL forward in the league scores 40 goals this year, you'll have to forgive me for thinking that Semin might not score 40 goals.

I see him as being a 1st line forward though with a lot of skill. Maybe something similar to a Alexander Mogilny-type of player.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mizral said:
Considering that it's possible no NHL forward in the league scores 40 goals this year, you'll have to forgive me for thinking that Semin might not score 40 goals.

I see him as being a 1st line forward though with a lot of skill. Maybe something similar to a Alexander Mogilny-type of player.

Maybe I'm more optimistic, but have you seen him play?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Maybe I'm more optimistic, but have you seen him play?

More optimistic than Mogilny?! Wowzers. :p

Personally, I think Semin has top end potential like Milan Hejduk. Bottom line potential like Kristian Huselius. That's just how I see it. Mogilnly was generous as far as i'm concerned.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Caniacforever said:

Personally, I think Semin has top end potential like Milan Hejduk. Bottom line potential like Kristian Huselius. That's just how I see it. Mogilnly was generous as far as i'm concerned.

Hmm...we'll see. Semin has sick potential.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

I agree Hejduk is exactly who I would compare him with.. possibly a bit more moves(not at all a knock on Milan's moves it's just Semin's moves are..well the most beautiful I've seen in awhile)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I_r_1337 said:
I agree Hejduk is exactly who I would compare him with.. possibly a bit more moves(not at all a knock on Milan's moves it's just Semin's moves are..well the most beautiful I've seen in awhile)

Milan Hejduk is the more comparable talent, I agree, but I won't put that limit on Sasha. Semin broke into the league 4 years earlier and has a higher GPG playing on an awful team. Some of his moves are just blatantly brilliant.

*homer bias*

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i haven't seen enough of semin to comment how good his shot is, but his skating and stickhandling is/will be superior to hejduk. i'm not liking the hejduk comparison either. i really don't know who i'd compare him to. mogilny is the most accurate so far imo.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i haven't seen enough of semin to comment how good his shot is, but his skating and stickhandling is/will be superior to hejduk. i'm not liking the hejduk comparison either. i really don't know who i'd compare him to. mogilny is the most accurate so far imo.

Milan Hejduk is probably the most deft stickhandler in the entire league. Are you sure Semin is going to be able to top that? Have we seen enough of this kid to give him that type of praise yet?

db23

Whoa....the guy doesn't even have 20 points in the NHL yet. Slow down a little. Remember guys like Afinojenov, Balmochnych, Dmtiri Nabokov etc. who came in looking like they were the next coming of Bure, Mogilny or Federov.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Caniacforever said:
Milan Hejduk is probably the most deft stickhandler in the entire league. Are you sure Semin is going to be able to top that? Have we seen enough of this kid to give him that type of praise yet?

I've seen enough of Alex Semin to tell you that unless some major obstacle stunts his development, he'll have some of the best moves in the league for some time.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Hmm...we'll see. Semin has sick potential.
definitely, though though the kovulchuck comparison is a little off since kovy is a pure finisher - and thats what semin lacks so far. kovy has possibly the best release in the game - and has since he started.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Caniacforever said:
hejduk probably has the best hands around the net, but i'm talking about open ice, beating guys one on one kovalev style.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
40 goals and 50 assists in this day and age IS unreasonable. The game is opening up in the way of some more shorter players having more success and more ice time, but the scoring is tightening up too. 40 goals and 50 assists in this league is absolutely amazing right now. Talking God-like. 35 goals and 40 assists is more reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad