Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Well, honestly, he's a better skater than Weber, soo......

it's probably not the greatest comparison. But more so in broad strokes of, physical and a big shot. Romanov likely doesn't become the best goal scoring D of his generation either lol.

I already regret the comparison hahaha. We'll see though.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
it's probably not the greatest comparison. But more so in broad strokes of, physical and a big shot. Romanov likely doesn't become the best goal scoring D of his generation either lol.

Feels like is ceiling is a more physical Petry if he can develop his offensive game.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

Yeah, I really don't see much similarity in the games between the two other than they're both physical. Romo is a better skater and more mobile. Weber is big and... well, big. He uses that size well. Even though he's less of the pure player MTL when they traded for him, he may be better now based on smarts. Before he had a canon and could muscle people around pretty well. Now, not so much, although he has his moments of muscling people around. He's had to learn how to make up for his loss in strength and power and is probably more effective as a result, although it would be really nice to have the canon on on the PP with CC as another option.

Anyway, yes, he can be a good mentor at this point as he's on the back end of his career. I personally am a fan of mobility over pure size. So, I have high hopes for Romo. Pair him with a good PMD and.... bingo....

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Feels like is ceiling is a more physical Petry if he can develop his offensive game.

I didn't watch Romanov's regular season enough to see what he's really capable of offensively. I've always had question marks about his offensive ceiling but have held out a bit of hope. If he has anything close to Petry-like offense this kid could be an absolute stud #1 imo.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I agree and was thinking about the 2-1 as well. He's got things to learn but he's only 21. I'm fine with how they are grooming him.

Kulak stepped up and was not able to get back after the little bump by Maroon. Kulak should have got a stick on him and not worry if he caused a penalty in that situation.

I expect them to learn from their 1st finals game. Imagine being inserted in the NHL finals and shaking off rust against a team like Tampa? Not easy to do.
I agree. I think he wasn't sure if Kulak could get back or not and got caught in between playing it like a 2 on 1 and playing it like a 2 on 2.

Oh well. In general he added some nice energy into the lineup.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Romanov is a perfect exemple of he has all the tools but does he has the toolbox to put them together on a regular basis ?

The raw talent is there no question about it. Development and experience will be a big factor in his case imho

Reactions: Babyhockey

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Romanov is a perfect exemple of he has all the tools but does he has the toolbox to put them together on a regular basis ?

The raw talent is there no question about it. Development and experience will be a big factor in his case imho
It takes most young defencemen 3-4 years before they are able to put it together and for some it's even longer, look at our own Jeff Petry as a prime example. He has become a better player in the last 3-4 years than he was prior to that. It is a tough position to play, he will get there.

Reactions: Trash Man and V13

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

And that is why i am happy they being cautious with the kid. The cup run is great learning experience by itself whether he played or not.

Reactions: V13

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
He needs to skate with the puck more, use his feet to get out of trouble and start the transition. Watching him yesterday you could tell that this kid can really fly. His skating is his best asset and he needs to use it more.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I didn't watch Romanov's regular season enough to see what he's really capable of offensively. I've always had question marks about his offensive ceiling but have held out a bit of hope. If he has anything close to Petry-like offense this kid could be an absolute stud #1 imo.
He's smart and has solid skills but he won't ever be the type to risk much (when ge gets comfy) he just won't ever be that "flashy" offensive dman, i think he could, but it's not the way he plays (and i am fine with it)... Rookie season with ups and downs but i still think he's going to be a rock on d because he has all the right tools and seems to have his head screwed on straight... I don't think he's ever gonna be seen as an offensive dman but he'll quietly collect points by making the right plays most of the time... My opinion of course

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Romanov will be fine, org realized at some point during the season the adjustment from KHL to NHL would take more time than anticipated, but had no other options due to condensed schedule and injuries, thus keeping him in the lineup.

Romanov needs to play 17-20TOI next season, especially w a short off-season, TOI across all 3-pairings needs to be evenly distributed

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Do you think Romanov have the potential to be a #2 defenseman in this league?
Second pairing player.

He's weighted towards being better defensively than offensively. He can move the puck and skate fairly well but I can't see him being a big point producer...which is fine.

Really needs to work on his positioning. He's basically a rover in his own end and that needs to stop, which it will with experience.

Reactions: Archijerej

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think Romanov could potentially become a McDonagh at his peak, but he’ll never be a big point producer

30 points per season with his great defensive play and physical ability... it's a realistic projection?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Romanov moves his feet WAY better than Emelin does. He also has better vision and offensive skills. On the other hand he is not as strong as Emelin was at the same age and his knack for hitting while good, is not as good as Emelins.

He needs to get much stronger and learn to play within his limits. He had a great year, but I had no problem with him not playing all of the playoff games... I think it was a wise move. He still needs to make some progress. This will be a big year for him.... he needs to establish himself because there is a cavalry of very good LD on its way!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Really needs to work on his positioning. He's basically a rover in his own end and that needs to stop, which it will with experience.
That's the most important thing for him right now. The question is, can it be corrected with experience, or is it just a result of a poor IQ?

If he can't be solid defensively, he's usefulness will be very limited.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's the most important thing for him right now. The question is, can it be corrected with experience, or is it just a result of a poor IQ?

If he can't be solid defensively, he's usefulness will be very limited.
Youthful over exuberance, poise comes with experience (learnings from trials & tribulations)...

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Like I said he is a better skilled and skating version of Alexei Emelin

Alexei Emelin have been pretty good D for Habs, a top 4 D.

I think you right, Romanov is more skilled, better skating and more mobility. Potential to be a pretty good #3 defenseman if he put 30 points per season, with his two-way and physical ability.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad