Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Guys relax, Romanov had a great rookie year, he's on the same development path has Sergachev, he's just not lucky enough to have his stats padded with PP time on the most lethal PP team in the league. In a couple of years, he'll be playing 20+min a game and be a lock on our top 4. Kid's great.

I don't see Sergachev Offensive/Transition talent but I do see big hits, hard plays and stability. Think Ulf Samuelsson in his prime

Reactions: Laurentide

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sergachev played for Tampa right away when he got traded, he just showed up.
And Tampa knew exactly what they had on their hands. Extremely mobile 6’3 200lb defenseman with an attitude. They let him fail and then coached him. Actually, it is probably on of the better development stories in last decade.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The way Montréal has handled Romanov is truly head scratching.
What’s going on here?

He struggled a bit towards the end of the year (although to be fair most of the team did) and we brought in a couple of vets in Merrill and Gustafsson at the TDL who have gained more trust by Ducharme. I would certainly give him a chance now though, Gustafsson has been terrible. Kulak would be a pretty sizeable upgrade too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I hope they put him in for game 4, I missed last nights game and didn't see a lot of game 1 but I'd love to see him get to experience playing in the stanley cup since who knows how long it could be before that happens again.
I think back to 2014, down 3-2 to Boston, our Neanderthal coach took out Douglas Murray and played young Nate Beualieu who helped energize the team and contributed to the successful comeback.

Obviously 4 games is a lot tougher to win against the best team in the league with a $100M payroll, but if Therrien could make that kind of decision, I'd hope Ducharme is capable of it too. I think I would keep Merrill in for his PK, and just use Petry on the 1st PP unit.

Reactions: montreal

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He struggled a bit towards the end of the year (although to be fair most of the team did) and we brought in a couple of vets in Merrill and Gustafsson at the TDL who have gained more trust by Ducharme. I would certainly give him a chance now though, Gustafsson has been terrible. Kulak would be a pretty sizeable upgrade too.
A bit? Romanov was a very mediocre, at best, player from about the halfway point on. He started strong and then became lost. He actually looked much better under Julien... Maybe he doesn't click with DD.

Merrill has been far worse than Gustafsson. And Kulak should have never been scratched - he's the best out of the 4 by far at this point.

I'm fine with Kulak - Romanov or Kulak - Gustafsson. Considering our practice, I hope it's the former.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
A bit? Romanov was a very mediocre, at best, player from about the halfway point on. He started strong and then became lost. He actually looked much better under Julien... Maybe he doesn't click with DD.

Merrill has been far worse than Gustafsson. And Kulak should have never been scratched - he's the best out of the 4 by far at this point.

I'm fine with Kulak - Romanov or Kulak - Gustafsson. Considering our practice, I hope it's the former.

Well, yeah, Romanov did not exactly shine under DD during the regular season and that was kind of my point too. He struggled so it made sense that he would be scratched especially as MB stockpiled on veteran bottom pairing dmen at the TDL and we got Chiarot and Weber back from IR. I agree that Kulak is better than any of Merrill/Romanov/Gustafsson, although I haven't really had much of a problem with Merrill. He can at least take on some NHL level defensive assignments.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
gotta love the logic of keeping the kid out of so many playoff games, despite clearly being a better overall player/contributor than Gus or Merrill at this stage, ostensibly because of the risks around being a young player and not handling the pressure well...

only to insert him into a must-win cup finals elimination game, on home ice, after sitting him for 2 weeks :facepalm:

terrible playoff roster management by DD & co.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

In the Vegas series where they were directly comparable, Romo was far better than Kulak. Given the negatives Gus and Kulak have brought, it is truly head scratching at this point. Well,.. it's not, because he's been sitting, so, I wouldn't expect them to dust him off, but geezus. If they need a puck mover on the PP, just put in a forward for heck's sake. A F would be better than Gus defensively and be able add whatever offense he is supposed to bring to the PP. Then Romo and Merrill could take some of the minutes the top 4 have been logging, because they're running on fumes.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

Man... I just don't get it. Did you watch the same Vegas game I did? Kulak and Romo in the same game? Kulak was a mess. I don't want to replay the past, but man, Kulak was bad when they could be compared head to head.

Reactions: montreal

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
gotta love the logic of keeping the kid out of so many playoff games, despite clearly being a better overall player/contributor than Gus or Merrill at this stage, ostensibly because of the risks around being a young player and not handling the pressure well...

only to insert him into a must-win cup finals elimination game, on home ice, after sitting him for 2 weeks :facepalm:

terrible playoff roster management by DD & co.

This is the most idiotic thing that I kept telling myself after hearing the news. Seriously... This is when you know that what they say and why they do things is completely different.

Scared hes going to make mistakes in the playoffs? Slot them in down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals... Who is stupid to believe their bull shit now?

Reactions: Miller Time

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Man... I just don't get it. Did you watch the same Vegas game I did? Kulak and Romo in the same game? Kulak was a mess. I don't want to replay the past, but man, Kulak was bad when they could be compared head to head.
So Kulak gets judged on one game? Cause until he was benched, he was pretty solid. He's a bottom pair defenseman. He's going to have awful games.

I also saw Kulak carry his ass for 1/2 a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->