Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
hard to say at this point, the Habs may have been better off putting Romanov in Laval to start out so he could be a top pairing D and get steady PP mins for the first time. So we'll see over the next few years how his game progresses or not.

Ylonen really impressed me in the AHL this year, the speed, skating, shot are legit, showed good offensive instincts. Needs to add mass and strength but he will surely get more NHL time. We need to see how much can he continue to progress or not but he's headed in the right direction.
I would like to watch romanov in the AHL too. Just to improve his offensive flair. I know he has one, but doesnt want to use in the NHL. Maybe he doesnt want to make mistake and play safer. It woudlnt be bad for him to play 1 or 2 month in the minors imo too upgrade his confidence

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Guys relax, Romanov had a great rookie year, he's on the same development path has Sergachev, he's just not lucky enough to have his stats padded with PP time on the most lethal PP team in the league. In a couple of years, he'll be playing 20+min a game and be a lock on our top 4. Kid's great.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Guys relax, Romanov had a great rookie year, he's on the same development path has Sergachev, he's just not lucky enough to have his stats padded with PP time on the most lethal PP team in the league. In a couple of years, he'll be playing 20+min a game and be a lock on our top 4. Kid's great.

I didn't see a lot so I really can't say but I don't think anyone's down on him. Him being in the AHL could be a huge help. Getting him top minutes and seeing what he can do offensively. Poor kid's just barely been able to get top mins the last 3 years. He may not need them but it's definitely an option worth considering.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He was great. People have to realize that he didn’t play a lot in the KHL. There are several days between games and his icetime fluctuated a lot. This season was hard for NHL vets with the condensed schedule, so imagine a rookie from the KHL. He ran out of gas (likely mentally).

He showed a lot of promise. He’ll learn to just get the puck on the net when he moves up. Too many times he wanted a perfect goal and went up high, missing the net.

This kid will be a big part of the future.

Reactions: WinterLion

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
He was great. People have to realize that he didn’t play a lot in the KHL. There are several days between games and his icetime fluctuated a lot. This season was hard for NHL vets with the condensed schedule, so imagine a rookie from the KHL. He ran out of gas (likely mentally).

He showed a lot of promise. He’ll learn to just get the puck on the net when he moves up. Too many times he wanted a perfect goal and went up high, missing the net.

This kid will be a big part of the future.

Thats not the main issue with him. He was just too excited on the ice. Defensively, he was going all out on the puck, always seemed badly positioned as he was more looking at the puck. With the puck, it was long before he made his pass and usually to the wrong guy on the breakout. So, really though to put him in the lineup in the playoff.

Dont really think there is any issue with him. He will be very good and will log a lot of though minutes eventually, but he just need to learn to be an effective/reliable/tough to play against dman at the next level and I think he has everything to be effective everywhere.

I compare him to Josh Morrissey. Really like him, but we need to be patient with him.

Has not played a ton like mentionned before and he made it against men where a mistake can cost a lot. I like the idea of him going to the AHL play 22 to 25 minutes a game, but dont think it will happen.

Reactions: Big Lurk

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
All I know is this, you pick guys with high skill and high ceilings you get busts like Scherbak, but you can land a top player like CC.

On the other hand, you pick a guy with 3rd liner upside maybe you have a better chance he will play in the NHL, but as a 3rd liner, at best.

There seem to be several players at our pick at 31 who can skate very well, can handle the puck, who have a decent shot and so on. Players like this have potential to be a
top 6 forward or top 3D ( Petry is a 3D, Edmunston a 4D, you go for the 3D no offense to Edmunston ).

We have to go for the high ceiling as that's the best bet at getting a top player, and that's the goal, not to amass 4th liners.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Romanov needs to play. If the Habs want to beat the Lightning they need to go all in. Romanov could make positioning mistakes but he could also eat a lot of icetime, make physical plays and sound passes. His speed would be much needed too.

Yeah, he's defensively reliable. Need someone like him to take some minutes away from the Top-4. They're going to be totally worn out, if not.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
huge mistake if he's not in the lineup next game...

he really should've been in the lineup vs vegas, but that ship has sailed obviously.

Going with Gus/Merrill never made much sense. they aren't cup winning dmen, and our top-4 isnt nearly good enough to carry the load while playing a bottom pairing in sheltered <10min/night roles.

miscalculation on the coaching front, hope they try to rectify it now vs waiting for another loss or two before making the obvious switch... every moment of ice time a young guy like romanov gets in these situations improves the odds that the next moments will be better.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
i think you need to keep him out tonight, he is more of a liability than merril or gus at this point. Give him his first look in game 3 on home ice , so we can shelter him from certain line combinations.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
i think you need to keep him out tonight, he is more of a liability than merril or gus at this point. Give him his first look in game 3 on home ice , so we can shelter him from certain line combinations.
Definitely not more than Gus. That guy can not play defense period. Ultimately I don't think choosing one of the three is the difference in this series. That is to say, playing Romanov is not going to be the difference maker for us or Tampa. I'd rather get Romanov the experience so we can hopefully build towards coming back to the finals again.

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
I want romanov to be our saviour as markov 2.0 but from what little I've seen outside the world juniors he looks more like he will be emelin 2.0 which is great but not fixing much on the back end

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I want romanov to be our saviour as markov 2.0 but from what little I've seen outside the world juniors he looks more like he will be emelin 2.0 which is great but not fixing much on the back end
Gally was body slammed last game. I would happily take an Emelin 2.0. BTW the kid can skate!

Reactions: iamtalbot

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I never saw him as close to being Markov 2.0 but we really don't know what we have in him just yet as for the past 3 years he has not played that much in terms of TOI and not had much chance to develop his offensive tools outside the WJC's. Some players can develop their offensive skills at the NHL level over time, others can't, so we'll see what happens with Romanov in the coming years. If he ends up Emelin 2.0, that's still very solid for us as a Guhle Romanov duo even if just on the PK would make for many sore forwards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They don't trust his decision making on the ice, Merrill and Gustafsson are better in the eyes of the organization.

I feel Merrill and Gusta were better options against the Knights but against Tampa, I feel Romanov and Kulak fit better. Skating/physical game is something we need against Tampa

Reactions: shanewalsh

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
that's a really good idea for Romanov. So bizarre I didn't even consider that option. I heard that he was fine with that too. really hope they do that. I'd keep Gust and Merrill right now on one year deals maybe. give the kid time.

you actually got me really pumped on this idea hahaha. barring him looking WAY improved after this offseason I really hope they send him to Laval.

Montreal is likely going to lose edmundson or chiarot. I think chiarot is more likely. Then you got guys like Gustafsson, and Merril who probably will sign elsewhere.

It opens up the opportunity for Romanov to get more ice time. On the big club.

It must have been a whirlwind for him coming to the nhl in this whirlwind of a season, but I think he'll be better for handling the rigours of an nhl season season next year.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
huge mistake if he's not in the lineup next game...

he really should've been in the lineup vs vegas, but that ship has sailed obviously.

Going with Gus/Merrill never made much sense. they aren't cup winning dmen, and our top-4 isnt nearly good enough to carry the load while playing a bottom pairing in sheltered <10min/night roles.

miscalculation on the coaching front, hope they try to rectify it now vs waiting for another loss or two before making the obvious switch... every moment of ice time a young guy like romanov gets in these situations improves the odds that the next moments will be better.
If they wait 2 losses... There's no point to the change :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad