Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I think it’s pretty clear that he will never get a shot.
We’ll see. We’ve won 4 in a row, the only lineup changes have been injuries. If he doesn’t get in after the first loss (assuming gus doesn’t score a hattrick in that game) I’ll re-evaluate.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We’ll see. We’ve won 4 in a row, the only lineup changes have been injuries. If he doesn’t get in after the first loss (assuming gus doesn’t score a hattrick in that game) I’ll re-evaluate.

Or, if we were to go up big in the series, and gus is playing poorly, that would be a good time to see where Romanov's game is at.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

The team lost 3 in a row to the Leafs and looked absolutely dismal in those losses, with Merrill getting hurt and they still turned to others before Romanov. It’s not going to happen.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Somehow it seems he’s playing less than he was in the KHL (ie not at all), which is an incredibly low bar lol

if you add in all the games he played last year between KHL (reg + playoffs), WJC, and other international tournaments, he played more games last year then this.

If you just count KHL vs NHL then he played more this year.

Also his TOI is higher in the NHL then the KHL as this year he had about 25 games where he played over 17 mins, in the KHL you could likely count the number of times he played over 17 mins on one hand and still have fingers left over.

Leaving Gustafsson in after he made the exact kind of gaffe that ostensibly you're worried about Romanov making is pretty incredible logic.

it should come as no surprise though, Habs + MB + development = dog shit. I didn't think it was possible to be so poor at such a big part of his job.

It is funny though, KK sits 1st game, then goes on to lead the team in goals in the playoffs so far.

CC sits for 2 games, gets in and starts making things happen in the offensive zone while our leading scorer from last season Tatar (who had a 14 pt lead over the next highest scorer) has done an outstanding impersonation of an invisible person has 1 pt in the playoffs and in the last 15 playoff games with us he's got a whopping 3 pts. So at least CC isn't sitting for Tatar now so that's something.

Kulak over Romanov is what I don't get. They don't seem to trust either player but Kulak has 0 pts in 7 playoff games this year, why not rotate them so Romanov can get some experience. Gus I can see that while they don't trust him either, he can help the PP so I can see how it's a tougher decision.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
if you add in all the games he played last year between KHL (reg + playoffs), WJC, and other international tournaments, he played more games last year then this.

If you just count KHL vs NHL then he played more this year.

Also his TOI is higher in the NHL then the KHL as this year he had about 25 games where he played over 17 mins, in the KHL you could likely count the number of times he played over 17 mins on one hand and still have fingers left over.

it should come as no surprise though, Habs + MB + development = dog shit. I didn't think it was possible to be so poor at such a big part of his job.

It is funny though, KK sits 1st game, then goes on to lead the team in goals in the playoffs so far.

CC sits for 2 games, gets in and starts making things happen in the offensive zone while our leading scorer from last season Tatar (who had a 14 pt lead over the next highest scorer) has done an outstanding impersonation of an invisible person has 1 pt in the playoffs and in the last 15 playoff games with us he's got a whopping 3 pts. So at least CC isn't sitting for Tatar now so that's something.

Kulak over Romanov is what I don't get. They don't seem to trust either player but Kulak has 0 pts in 7 playoff games this year, why not rotate them so Romanov can get some experience. Gus I can see that while they don't trust him either, he can help the PP so I can see how it's a tougher decision.
Kulak played well in last year's playoff as the 4D.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This is true but something's got to give with top 4 playing these insane minutes. I don't love that he's not playing tonight but if he's not in after our first loss and Gus is still a nightmare then there's no excuses.

I just wish we had a half decent media to assuage the concerns we're all having as to why he's not in the line up. Come on Basu, Engels, et al.!

Even if you put Romanov in the lineup, they won’t trust him more then Kulak/Gustafsson/Merrill, it’s not like if we where talking about Cale Maker, where talking about Romanov who did nothing special this yrs

Fandangle

Apr 29, 2018
I gotta feeling he did something that made management unhappy.
There was an interview w/ DD when people were really pressing at the presser concerning Romy a week back. DD made a comment about development with Romy and unsolicited he added "off-the-ice". I was thinking yikes, kid got grounded for something. For all we know Romy delayed a flight cuz his GF made him late or something stupid. I doubt it's Radulov curfew bad cuz he's young and they are "teaching" him a lesson. My guess is he's in after the next loss.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes he started well the first 15 games when other teams didn’t know him, but when team start to know him, it became way more difficult. It arrived often that a new player have a great first 15 games

they started moving him up the lineup when he wasn't ready for it, he was fine on the 3rd pair until the end of the season.

In the first 43 games he was a +8
In the final 11 games he was a -7

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
they started moving him up the lineup when he wasn't ready for it, he was fine on the 3rd pair until the end of the season.

In the first 43 games he was a +8
In the final 11 games he was a -7
Personally I think it would have been better for him in Laval, except hitting at the end he was lost in every other part of the game and it was going to fast for him. I think we need to start to be more realistic with Romanov, I don’t think his celling is higher then a Emelin

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Personally I think it would have been better for him in Laval, except hitting at the end he was lost in every other part of the game and it was going to fast for him. I think we need to start to be more realistic with Romanov, I don’t think his celling is higher then a Emelin

I think, worst case scenario, he’s equal to Emelin. With any luck, he will be a better player. He a better skater. I see him having a higher ceiling than Emelin.

Jul 6, 2016

He might be better. But I think he was not ready this year to play that many games and so many minutes at NHL level with the top players in the World. (some of them...). The fact that Chiarot was injured, gave him extra responsabilities he was not ready to get. Next season, he should be better, steadier. He is only 21 still.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He might be better. But I think he was not ready this year to play that many games and so many minutes at NHL level with the top players in the World. (some of them...). The fact that Chiarot was injured, gave him extra responsabilities he was not ready to get. Next season, he should be better, steadier. He is only 21 still.
Agree with what you say but the thing that bothers me is that I didn’t see any evolution in his game, his as game as even regress during the season

I think, worst case scenario, he’s equal to Emelin. With any luck, he will be a better player. He a better skater. I see him having a higher ceiling than Emelin.
Worst case scenario for me is that he stays like that, a #6. Not saying he won’t be better then Emelin but in his highest celling, I see him be just a little bit better then Emelin (before his big injuries)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Geez people are now speculating about romanov having off-ice issues :facepalm:

Romanov is a rookie defenseman and ducharme just doesnt trust him enough. There is nothing more to it. The same coach was healthy scratching KK and caufield at the beginning of the playoffs. I dont understand why people think there is something extra regarding romanov...

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Romanov wasn't likely to start on the road where the Jets had last line change and could try to exploit him through a mis-match. His best chance at starting will be game 3 or 4 when we're at home and in a back to back situation where Ducharme might value having someone with fresh legs.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Romanov wasn't likely to start on the road where the Jets had last line change and could try to exploit him through a mis-match. His best chance at starting will be game 3 or 4 when we're at home and in a back to back situation where Ducharme might value having someone with fresh legs.
Or they don't because everything is working fine with our 1 goal a game, play not to lose, and pray to Price ideology. Even with 2 games in hand I have trouble with the habs play style right now.

Reactions: malcb33

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Geez people are now speculating about romanov having off-ice issues :facepalm:

Romanov is a rookie defenseman and ducharme just doesnt trust him enough. There is nothing more to it. The same coach was healthy scratching KK and caufield at the beginning of the playoffs. I dont understand why people think there is something extra regarding romanov...
Are you referring to my post? If so it was a joke.... Seriously light up there bud

That same rookie defenceman played when the coach had Gus at forward, because he couldn't be trusted to play D when they were trying to secure a playoff spot. Now all of a sudden the coach trusts Gus and not Romanov? Seems a little weird, no? Especially when Gus sucks against bigger bodies and Romanov thrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->