Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Romanov forget the Sergachev trade. He is more complete than Sergachev. He got the offensive talent too, just need to be patient with this guy and he can put 30 points one day. With his defensive and physical ability, he is going to be a very good #2 or #3 defenseman.

We have great prospect pool at D, Guhle, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Brook, Fleury. That's a very encouraging for the future of Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: dralaf and cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I just don't get why people need to keep perpetuating the oft-repeated myth that rookies and/or young players are more prone to mistakes.

It's completely false...it's just a narrative fans/media have come to accept as real.

Even coaches do...thats why you see them stubbornly sticking with mistake prone vets while admonishing any mistake by young players.

It's just tired man...

Mistakes are a part of the game...doesn't matter what amount of experience one has.
So nearly everybody in hockey is wrong but you...that's impressive :). Enjoy the game tonight

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I feel Romanov is the player he is right now. What you see is what you get. The World Jrs was just that one time he produced points. I think he’s a bottom pairing defenceman. I don’t like his positioning.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Romanov forget the Sergachev trade. He is more complete than Sergachev. He got the offensive talent too, just need to be patient with this guy and he can put 30 points one day. With his defensive and physical ability, he is going to be a very good #2 or #3 defenseman.

We have great prospect pool at D, Guhle, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Brook, Fleury. That's a very encouraging for the future of Montreal Canadiens.

he makes a lot of defensive zone blunders

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So nearly everybody in hockey is wrong but you...that's impressive :). Enjoy the game tonight
I've never been a big believer in group think...again, I think it's just something people repeat and have accepted as true but if you watched the Habs this year and have come away with the conclusion that Alexander Romanov is more mistake prone than Shea Weber or Ben Chiarot or Erik Gustafsson.

Then yes, you and "nearly everyone in hockey" is wrong.

Also...I didn't enjoy the game last night. Saw many veterans make mistakes. If only we could blame their mistakes on inexperience :sarcasm:.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Alexander Romanov is having a great rookie season. Period. Fact. Fun fact.

I would say he is having a solid season at age 21. Great to me is producing a bit more offense. However, I agree with your overall narrative. There is nothing to be worried about in his game.

What I would like to see is for him to work on his skating a bit more. It will help him escape pressure and create more time and space. I hope he is hungry to improve in the offseason and does not get complacent that he made the NHL. Set the bar high for yourself Romanov! Same as Suzuki... Work on your skating. It's important parts on how they become better NHL players

Reactions: Jabba11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would say he is having a solid season at age 21. Great to me is producing a bit more offense. However, I agree with your overall narrative. There is nothing to be worried about in his game.

What I would like to see is for him to work on his skating a bit more. It will help him escape pressure and create more time and space. I hope he is hungry to improve in the offseason and does not get complacent that he made the NHL. Set the bar high for yourself Romanov! Same as Suzuki... Work on your skating. It's important parts on how they become better NHL players

Romanov, Suzuki, KK, Caufield, etc... are all good young players. But it's a lot to think they'll make us contenders. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Every team has a bunch of good young players that they are projecting to be their core, especially those teams that have been continuously been picking in the lottery - and didn't trade one of their better lottery picks for a local player with a ton of question Mark's who turned out to be crap.

I see nothing in our current young core that differentiates it from many other teams and thus makes me think it will with any confidence that it will win a cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov, Suzuki, KK, Caufield, etc... are all good young players. But it's a lot to think they'll make us contenders. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Every team has a bunch of good young players that they are projecting to be their core, especially those teams that have been continuously been picking in the lottery - and didn't trade one of their better lottery picks for a local player with a ton of question Mark's who turned out to be crap.

I see nothing in our current young core that differentiates it from many other teams and thus makes me think it will with any confidence that it will win a cup.

This is how I see our road to come...

1) They tinker with what we have and try for the "anything can happen in the playoffs". That might be at play for another season or two but how we finish this season factors in.

2) Once Weber retires after his age 37 season (2 more years), I think Price will want out (or he wants out earlier). Hard to predict but I do see a mini reset or rebuild at that point where they move to more youth and we have a season like the Sens are having this year.

3) Then I hope we have a few seasons where the youth is fun to watch but we get decent lottery pick odds and get that star we need. Luck and timing has a lot to do with it but it's our best probable plan to become a contender for years to come while the current youth is in their prime and the star is a few years behind them

The question is when is the best time to move to more youth? Right away or in 2+ years? That's subjective to what fan you ask

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Romanov is what 20? Dman hit their stride at 26...

Adjustment to NA ice surface & experience.

Not saying he doesn't have a load of potential, but he makes a lot of mistakes right now and is being asked a lot of for a rookie.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
This is how I see our road to come...

1) They tinker with what we have and try for the "anything can happen in the playoffs". That might be at play for another season or two but how we finish this season factors in.

2) Once Weber retires after his age 37 season (2 more years), I think Price will want out (or he wants out earlier). Hard to predict but I do see a mini reset or rebuild at that point where they move to more youth and we have a season like the Sens are having this year.

3) Then I hope we have a few seasons where the youth is fun to watch but we get decent lottery pick odds and get that star we need. Luck and timing has a lot to do with it but it's our best probable plan to become a contender for years to come while the current youth is in their prime and the star is a few years behind them

The question is when is the best time to move to more youth? Right away or in 2+ years? That's subjective to what fan you ask

I see it the same way. But under a new management. And honestly, it's time for us to look for opportunities to draft elite high talent in the next 3 drafts: Wright, Bedard, Michkov and more! Land a star to add to our young core. We need to compete talent against talent with the rest of the Canadian teams:

Toronto: Matthews/Marner
Winnipeg: Scheifele/Ehlers, PLD
Edmonton: McDavid/Draisaitl
Vancouver: Pettersson/Hughes
Ottawa: Stutzle/Tkachuk/Chabot
Calgary: Tkachuk/nada..
Montreal: crickets...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
A great situation for him would be to be back in Philly permanently.
1619826892558102809512059096054.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Very solid rookie year in his age 20 season, the guy was never our top prospect but he should end up having a very solid NHL career. His skating is not the issue and doesn't need work, he should be playing as a 3rd pairing D with a steady partner.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
If he had proper coaching, he could be a powerplay weapon. Has the patience and slapper to be effective. Looks lost out there sometimes right now. Needs some time and seasoning.

Reactions: Paddy17

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
funny the contrast between the takes on Romanov vs JKO... drafted same year, Romanov 6 months older... yet Romanov's seen as on track to be much more than he is today, whereas JKO is a busty bust bust... habs fans gonna habs fan :lol:

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
UNLEASH the beast for god sake !

why?

He will eat the boards !!!

He is part of our future on D

he is already 10* better than **** Merrill.

he has to mobility to connect with Marner/Nylander

good 1st pass

réveille toi Ducharme tabarnak!! Tu dors au gaz

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Very solid rookie year in his age 20 season, the guy was never our top prospect but he should end up having a very solid NHL career. His skating is not the issue and doesn't need work, he should be playing as a 3rd pairing D with a steady partner.
It's true he would benefit from a solid vet 3rd pairing RD to play beside and bring him up to speed.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
It's true he would benefit from a solid vet 3rd pairing RD to play beside and bring him up to speed.

More at the basis, he would benefit from playing in a half decent dcorp with some puck movers instead of what he had to endure. Asking for a 20 years old russian player in his first year in North America to be the #2 puck mover on an NHL dcorp is madness.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
More at the basis, he would benefit from playing in a half decent dcorp with some puck movers instead of what he had to endure.
Well, usually the successful mentor dmen I've seen that have worked well aren't really great puck movers, they are solid vets.

I think @montreal point was very solid - a good veteran dman to pair Romanov with the whole year would have been a smart move. Probably still would be helpful next year.

Reactions: Wats

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Well, usually the successful mentor dmen I've seen that have worked well aren't really great puck movers, they are solid vets.

I think @montreal point was very solid - a good veteran dman to pair Romanov with the whole year would have been a smart move. Probably still would be helpful next year.
I agree, but IMO this would work really well if the group is strong enough, up the depth chart, so Romanov doesn't need to take too much of a big role on the team.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I agree, but IMO this would work really well if the group is strong enough, up the depth chart, so Romanov doesn't need to take too much of a big role on the team.

...which is exactly why he should be paired with Old Man Mountain and use Mr. Ed - Petry as the Top D Pairing...gives Romanov a solid vet and lessens Weber's ice time, which is also a need to do right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->