Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Although I'd love to see him play this year. I can't help but worry that throwing a 20 year old rookie whom hasn't played many games on north american ice against Crosby and Malkin for at least 3 straight games has the chance to absolutely destroy his confidence as well.

Hopefully he pulls a Subban tho!
I don't think a short term lack of success can really derail a player's career. I think players will lose confidence after a prolonged period of failures or uncertainty, so I'm not worried about him coming into these games and potentially struggling in regards to his development. The mindset of the team is also very different, there's not pressure, it's already a bonus that they're able to play again, I think it's the best no pressure situation to bring a kid in.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think a short term lack of success can really derail a player's career. I think players will lose confidence after a prolonged period of failures or uncertainty, so I'm not worried about him coming into these games and potentially struggling in regards to his development. The mindset of the team is also very different, there's not pressure, it's already a bonus that they're able to play again, I think it's the best no pressure situation to bring a kid in.

Agreed but its almost impossible with our fan base in Montreal and Laval. We are very passionate fans with lots of hockey knowledge and this creates attention on pretty much all our assets. Even in Laval, they are not well sheltered.

But yes, I agree with your point and feel the same. Loosing confidence can change a player

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Looked this up from last season...

Columbus played Tampa in Game one of the playoffs on April 10th, 2019.

A few days later, the Jackets signed Vladislav Gavrikov to his first NHL contract, after his KHL season was over. He played in two games later in the Boston - Columbus series.

Based on that fact, would believe some of these players like Romanov, would be eligible to play in the playoffs or play-ins since the regular season was declared completed.

Don't know the NHL's logic otherwise, they would seem to be changing the rules.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Both the organization and the fans can’t lose sight as to what makes him such a good defenceman. If he goes to Laval, I firmly believe he will play well starting Day 1. But he’s not a point producer. Typically to get called up to the NHL, you need to produce in the AHL. If he spends some time in the minors, you don’t want the media (ie Antichambre) to criticize his progression by just looking at the stat sheet, influencing fans that don’t bother watching Rocket games. Then they start labeling him as a disappointment and undeserving since all they’ve heard to this point is “Romanov is coming!!” You don’t want that added pressure on his shoulders.

I for one am really excited to see him adjust here.

Reactions: habsfan891

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Both the organization and the fans can’t lose sight as to what makes him such a good defenceman. If he goes to Laval, I firmly believe he will play well starting Day 1. But he’s not a point producer. Typically to get called up to the NHL, you need to produce in the AHL. If he spends some time in the minors, you don’t want the media (ie Antichambre) to criticize his progression by just looking at the stat sheet, influencing fans that don’t bother watching Rocket games. Then they start labeling him as a disappointment and undeserving since all they’ve heard to this point is “Romanov is coming!!” You don’t want that added pressure on his shoulders.

I for one am really excited to see him adjust here.

as we saw with Kotka when he was sent to Laval, if Romanov goes there, we should have more then a small handful of posters that will be watching the games and posting about it. Before Kotka most Laval GDT threads was usually just me, Adam and couple posters talking about the game but we seemed to at least double the amount of posters both watching and posting in the threads. I would expect the same if Romanov is in Laval.

I don't expect him to put up a lot of points but at the same time no one really knows how much offensive upside he really has since the only place he's really produced well is the WJC's but it's hard to evaluate his KHL play, very hard imo as i've watched more then my fair share of Russian hockey games, he was the toughest to get a read on as his TOI and usage was just all over the place last year. This year it wasn't so all over the place but he still didn't get the TOI to get a good read on.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Agree. I also think if you play poorly against average or poor players your confidence can take a hit. If you play poorly against the best of the best, its easier to keep that confidence level up by saying "well, yeah, but it was crosby and malkin"

I don't expect him to put up a lot of points but at the same time no one really knows how much offensive upside he really has since the only place he's really produced well is the WJC's but it's hard to evaluate his KHL play, very hard imo as i've watched more then my fair share of Russian hockey games, he was the toughest to get a read on as his TOI and usage was just all over the place last year. This year it wasn't so all over the place but he still didn't get the TOI to get a good read on.

Agree. We also dont know what the plan is with his partner or his assignments. I could totally see them putting him with Weber & saying "jump up in the play, Shea will hang back" Really curious to see how his game transitions to the NHL.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Hopefully he gets to play.

Not just because it would make the games more interesting to see how one of the Habs young prospects does. But I think it would really help with his development. He gets a 3-4 week training camp where he get better accustomed to the NHL, practices, in class sessions, and his teammates. The coaches can see him and work with him. Then he can play some sheltered minutes against the Penguins.

If he can’t play or be with the team he won’t be with the team until December (probably).

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Agree. I also think if you play poorly against average or poor players your confidence can take a hit. If you play poorly against the best of the best, its easier to keep that confidence level up by saying "well, yeah, but it was crosby and malkin"

Agree. We also dont know what the plan is with his partner or his assignments. I could totally see them putting him with Weber & saying "jump up in the play, Shea will hang back" Really curious to see how his game transitions to the NHL.

I'd like to see that but, I don't believe that will be Ju-jube's take on things. Julien is probably having wet dreams of the young Russian D having a strong +/- while not taking many offensive risks.

If Julien has the whip ready at the first mistake Romaniv might make, I'd rather he play the defensive conscience on a pairing with Petry. It would still provide offense from the backend by unleashing Petry and would protect against the defensive brain farts that the veteran is prone to.

Julien will likely reunite weber with Chiarot again. That leaves Mete to reunite with Juulsen if he is truly healthy? Or Fleury, otherwise...

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Romanov needs to beat out one of Kulak or Mete to make the team.

Mete and Kulak haven’t really taken the next step to solidify there place in the top 6 D core. Mete might have even regressed. So honestly, I do believe there’s a decent chance Romanov starts in Montreal next season or this playoffs, if he is allowed too.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Romanov needs to beat out one of Kulak or Mete to make the team.

Mete and Kulak haven’t really taken the next step to solidify there place in the top 6 D core. Mete might have even regressed. So honestly, I do believe there’s a decent chance Romanov starts in Montreal next season or this playoffs, if he is allowed too.
To be honest Kulak has regressed from last year as well. He wasn't the same player this year!

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
To be honest Kulak has regressed from last year as well. He wasn't the same player this year!

Exactly, besides Chariot Montreal left side is there to be won. Honestly, Romanov could be a nice breath of fresh air.

Romanov is only still 20 year since old, so we can’t expect to much, but I definitely think he has a decent chance of gaining an upper hand on Kulak and even maybe Mete.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-6_12-15-20.png

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He’s coming over with the woman he just married. Literally... Prudence would suggest that we make the newly formed family’s transition as stable as possible. Wonder what we will do?

Reactions: Gains

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He’s coming over with the woman he just married. Literally... Prudence would suggest that we make the newly formed family’s transition as stable as possible. Wonder what we will do?

Wheither he plays in the NHL or the AHL doesn't impact much except his salary. He can live in the same spot either way.

Reactions: Gains and MasterD

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
looking at Mete and Kulak's ice time as the season progressed, the opposite is more likely to happen. I don't think Julien trusts Mete that much. Kid doesn't play special units much and only gets 15 minutes per game of ES ice time.

Mete is one of the best skaters on the team, and other than Petry there's no one on our D that I'd rather start the breakout than him. The problem isn't his gap control and defending the rush either as his skating lets him adjust on the fly.

His problem is in front of the net, he a) can't physically tie a guy up and b) makes too many mental errors leaving a man wide open.

Mete is interesting. I feel like if he can't fix those net front errors it's hard to believe he'll be more than a depth D guy, but with his skillset he could be a great #2/#3/#4 someday.

Julien's recent mistrust and preference to Kulak makes me feel Mete will be moved. I don't think he makes sense on a bottom pairing.

If Romanov can play, I'd like to see them give him that 2nd pair spot with Petry.

Chiarot - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Kulak - Fleury

That's what I'd do at least.

Last edited:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I wrote it few weeks ago and again today....Romanov will have an impact...on a short term.

He is NHL ready. His gap is perfect. The puck finds him all the time. His lateral mouvements are amazing.

He is gonna be on the first pair on his first season and not by default.

He will be a fan favorite with his play, his grit , attitude and charisma!!!

I did not missed a single shift of him at the last 2 world juniors and my eyes were just on him...and jees this guy's good.

His only weakness in my opinion is that he makes always the obvious play on the power play so he does not make move the box...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I wrote it few weeks ago and again today....Romanov will have an impact...on a short term.

He is NHL ready. His gap is perfect. The puck finds him all the time. His lateral mouvements are amazing.

He is gonna be on the first pair on his first season and not by default.

He will be a fan favorite with his play, his grit , attitude and charisma!!!

I did not missed a single shift of him at the last 2 world juniors and my eyes were just on him...and jees this guy's good.

His only weakness in my opinion is that he makes always the obvious play on the power play so he does not make move the box...
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad