Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Emelin was really good when he came over.. he just had that knee injury and wasn't the same after. Unfortunately for us, our GM continues to repeat mistakes where he signs people long term for too much money when there is questions about their ability to contribute.

Emelin post knee injury.
Alzner free agency.
Drouin before he's played a game with the Habs.
Shaw before he's played a game with the Habs.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The league better let him play this season in the play-in/offs.

He is not a random player we signed from the KHL like say TO with Lehtonen.

He is a player whose rights belonged to the Habs, one of their prospects. Just like the Gavrikov situation last season, Romanov should be eligible to play.

It would do wonders for his development!

I mean Habs have already been screwed by being added to this ridiculous 24 team playoff format, Romanov being declined to play this season would be a total joke!

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
The league better let him play this season in the play-in/offs.

He is not a random player we signed from the KHL like say TO with Lehtonen.

He is a player whose rights belonged to the Habs, one of their prospects. Just like the Gavrikov situation last season, Romanov should be eligible to play.

It would do wonders for his development!

I mean Habs have already been screwed by being added to this ridiculous 24 team playoff format, Romanov being declined to play this season would be a total joke!
Although I'd love to see him play this year. I can't help but worry that throwing a 20 year old rookie whom hasn't played many games on north american ice against Crosby and Malkin for at least 3 straight games has the chance to absolutely destroy his confidence as well.

Hopefully he pulls a Subban tho!

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Although I'd love to see him play this year. I can't help but worry that throwing a 20 year old rookie whom hasn't played many games on north american ice against Crosby and Malkin for at least 3 straight games has the chance to absolutely destroy his confidence as well.

I get what you're saying and normally I would follow your train of thought, however Romanov has been playing in the KHL with men for 2 seasons so I believe he would hold his own.

I just feel he can pull a Subban and giving a taste of highly competitive NA hockey albeit a small sample can only benefit him.

Reactions: Redux91

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yes. If he plays one game this year, they will burn one year of his ELC.

Do we know if he can practice with the team even if not playoff eligible? or perhaps if they decide that players aren't eligible to play and there for his starting date would the moved to 2020-2021?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do we know if he can practice with the team even if not playoff eligible? or perhaps if they decide that players aren't eligible to play and there for his starting date would the moved to 2020-2021?

I do believe that if he's not eligible to play, he can still be there to practice with the team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Is this a legit concern for Habs fans?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Is this a legit concern for Habs fans?

Well Habs have been playing their D in the NHL without them showing any real tangible success in pro hockey for a while now. Results suggest perhaps it's a good idea to be concerned. See list of top 4 D:

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I hope he plays against the Pens and plays really well, but we get spanked anyways and still get a top pick. Win/win for me :thumbu:

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well Habs have been playing their D in the NHL without them showing any real tangible success in pro hockey for a while now. Results suggest perhaps it's a good idea to be concerned. See list of top 4 D:
If a couple of games is going to destroy his confidence

He's not going to last very long regardless.

I think the fear exists in fans, we create these illusions in our heads but I don't think this one is rooted in reality .

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Would the Habs lose a year of his ELC?

Habs would lose -- as the NHLPA would clearly try to negotiate -- ONE year off the ELC contract but, Romanov would not be closer to UFA status, just RFA status, as he would not have played 40 games or more in 2019-2020.

It's like players getting more than 10 games in their first ELC season but, less than 40 games. They burn an ELC season but not a year towards unrestricted free agency.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I do believe that if he's not eligible to play, he can still be there to practice with the team.

Don't think so as numbers will be strictly limited in the return to work protocol and he can't be a black ace to be part of that number as he isn't under contract, officially.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
One has to wonder about the possibilities of a late trade deadline, one in which the Habs use their 8th OV pick to strengthen the defence. A trade for 2013 8th OV 25yrs. old Rasmus Ristolainen(RHD), joining Drouin, Domi, Dauphin, Lehkonen, and G.Olafsson as Habs from that draft class.:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Now I may be accused of being thru & true blue Habs fanatic on many occasions in my long life, quite possibly no truer statement ever made. I believe the Habs have made NHL Hockey loved worldwide, therefore allowing them to make the above trade & Romanov(LHD)[giving the Habs greater depth against Crosby/Malkin led Penguins] to play in this years playoffs would be a small token of the NHL/NHLPA's thanks to Montreal & the Montreal Canadiens for being the prime example of World Class Hockey Organization for their 1st century in North America. Enough bragging for now talk to you soon with more positive thoughts about our Habs & Canadians in hockey along with praise for the Finnish hockey players whose play most resembles the Canadian's game IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy: Oh yeah Go Habs Go!!!...:arr::arr::arr: I will be wearing my autographed Jean Beliveau jersey for the playoffs the wife will be donning her Max Domi jersey as we cheer the Habs on to their 25th SCC & 40th for the city of Montreal, Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Last edited:
Reactions: McGees

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Thought you guys might like this information

Scott Burnside on Q&A on the athletic On not allowing reserve list players to play

He said he think we will see it reversed or modify
In coming days. He also said the something similar about NHLPA is going to make case for them to play.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Locks

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I felt they would reverse as I'm sure the Wild and NYI owners are especially pushing hard as I posted before since they have a lot riding on this. If they do reverse then I will watch the 24 team tournament gimmick just to see how Romanov does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad