Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Basically, if he signs his ELC in 2020 and plays one game for the Habs, he burns the 1st year of that ELC like Poehling last year cause he turns 20 in Jan?

I'm thinking this is what Romanov and his agent are after.

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Basically, if he signs his ELC in 2020 and plays one game for the Habs, he burns the 1st year of that ELC like Poehling last year cause he turns 20 in Jan?

I'm thinking this is what Romanov and his agent are after.

it's not possible, he's under contract with CSKA till April 30th, unless they release him.

Reactions: jaffy27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I guess I assumed the KHL season ended before the NHL.

The KHL season does end before the NHL one. But over there, free agency is on May 1st.

The only way I see Romanov joining Montreal before the Habs season is over is if CSKA loses in the playoffs early in the KHL and they know Romanov will not sign with them and they will simply release him.

But even then, I wouldn't be surprised if they just let his contract run until its end simply to spite him and the Habs. But I also expect CSKA to go deep in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The KHL season does end before the NHL one. But over there, free agency is on May 1st.

The only way I see Romanov joining Montreal before the Habs season is over is if CSKA loses in the playoffs early in the KHL and they know Romanov will not sign with them and they will simply release him.

But even then, I wouldn't be surprised if they just let his contract run until its end simply to spite him and the Habs. But I also expect CSKA to go deep in the playoffs.

Interesting. I guess I'm OK with the KHL team not releasing him cause then his ELC starts next year. Romanov's ELC would be from 20/21 - 22/23. That's actually ideal in terms of getting a value contract.

How good is he? I expect bottom paring to start and he moves his way in the top 4D eventually. I think Norlinder or Brook would be a good partner for him down the road.

Will be interesting to see who shines more from our D prospects. Could be any one of Mete, Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Norlinder, Harris, Juulsen, Struble. It's nice to have quantity and probability says a few of them reach their ceiling

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting. I guess I'm OK with the KHL team not releasing him cause then his ELC starts next year. Romanov's ELC would be from 20/21 - 22/23. That's actually ideal in terms of getting a value contract.

How good is he? I expect bottom paring to start and he moves his way in the top 4D eventually. I think Norlinder or Brook would be a good partner for him down the road.

Will be interesting to see who shines more from our D prospects. Could be any one of Mete, Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Norlinder, Harris, Juulsen, Struble. It's nice to have quantity and probability says a few of them reach their ceiling

Like Poehling, I doubt Habs care about getting him signed right away, even if it's for one game, they'd be more than willing to waste a year of his ELC if it entices Romanov to sign right away.

But ideally, it would be better if he signs in the off-season and his ELC kicks in next year.

As for where he'd fit in the line-up, I could just picture him and Fleury on the bottom pair absolutely punishing the opposition. Both are built like tanks.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
What if Bergevin is quietly trying to give Romanov some money to buy his contract out and come to NA right away.

I can't imagine him being happy playing 7-10minutes a night.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like Poehling, I doubt Habs care about getting him signed right away, even if it's for one game, they'd be more than willing to waste a year of his ELC if it entices Romanov to sign right away.

But ideally, it would be better if he signs in the off-season and his ELC kicks in next year.

As for where he'd fit in the line-up, I could just picture him and Fleury on the bottom pair absolutely punishing the opposition. Both are built like tanks.

Hard to say what the pairings will be next year. Fleury leaped froged Juulsen but I wonder who would of won that 3rd RD spot if Juulsen played a full year last year and didn't get hurt?

I'd be using Fleury and one of Poehling/Primeau to go after Hall in a sign/trade. Most would say no to including Fleury but I would. Not because I don't like him, but because I think we can get value from him and I rather do that than loose him in the expansion draft. Are we protecting Weber? I'm not sure but I assume so. So Weber, Mete, and then who? One of Juulsen/Fleury? Juulsen's value has taken a hit with his injury so yeah, I would use Fleury's high value today in the Hall package.

Romanov / Juulsen could be a great pairing as well. I don't have Fleury that far ahead of Juulsen. The only concern I have with Juulsen is if his injury is 100% in the past. Appears so at this stage but it's early

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What if Bergevin is quietly trying to give Romanov some money to buy his contract out and come to NA right away.

I can't imagine him being happy playing 7-10minutes a night.

Are they allowed to buy out the contract in mid season or does it have to happen before the season starts?

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Am I the only one who thinks even if it's next year, Romanov is still being rushed ? The guy has 4points this season in the KHL and he doesn't seem THAT good yet.

Reactions: abo9

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Hard to say what the pairings will be next year. Fleury leaped froged Juulsen but I wonder who would of won that 3rd RD spot if Juulsen played a full year last year and didn't get hurt?

I'd be using Fleury and one of Poehling/Primeau to go after Hall in a sign/trade. Most would say no to including Fleury but I would. Not because I don't like him, but because I think we can get value from him and I rather do that than loose him in the expansion draft. Are we protecting Weber? I'm not sure but I assume so. So Weber, Mete, and then who? One of Juulsen/Fleury? Juulsen's value has taken a hit with his injury so yeah, I would use Fleury's high value today in the Hall package.

Romanov / Juulsen could be a great pairing as well. I don't have Fleury that far ahead of Juulsen. The only concern I have with Juulsen is if his injury is 100% in the past. Appears so at this stage but it's early

Juulsen is done, never playing again in the NHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Cause his migraines have returned again? It's possible you are right if they can't figure out why they keep coming back. My hope with him is how he looks if the injury is 100% past him. If he is past it at some point this season (hopeful), I like his game. But if the migraines continue, yeah, it's not good.

Anyways, back to Romanov and who he would play with next year? Not sure they go with Romanov and Fleury cause both are very young

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

And why wouldn't they just try to resign him instead of all that spite speculation? He can just do what Emelin did and cash in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Am I the only one who thinks even if it's next year, Romanov is still being rushed ? The guy has 4points this season in the KHL and he doesn't seem THAT good yet.

Why are you looking at points only with a defenseman? He's also being sheltered a lot. He showed some of the offensive potential at the WJC but I don't believe this is the strength to his game. He is a great skater that plays physical and can chip in on offense. More like a guy who will be defensively sound in his own end but can put up 30-40 pts. It's too early to know anything.

Is he being rushed? Possible but it all depends on how he plays next year at 20/21 (Jan birthdate). Both Fleury and Mete are 21 this year so are we rushing them? Each prospect will be managed individually

Reactions: jaffy27

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Why are you looking at points only with a defenseman? He's also being sheltered a lot. He showed some of the offensive potential at the WJC but I don't believe this is the strength to his game. He is a great skater that plays physical and can chip in on offense. More like a guy who will be defensively sound in his own end but can put up 30-40 pts. It's too early to know anything.

Is he being rushed? Possible but it all depends on how he plays next year at 20/21 (Jan birthdate). Both Fleury and Mete are 21 this year so are we rushing them? Each prospect will be managed individually
I'm thinking his point totals will be mid 20s to low 30s, but like you said it's pretty early know for sure and his lack of exposure isn't helping. I'll be very interested to see how he performs offensively at the WJC this year. Regardless, he's a good prospect that should develop into a good second pair guy (which for the Habs, is a star LD these days.:sarcasm:).

I don't think he's being rushed yet. If he struggles in the NHL, then we can say he is being rushed. As for Fleury and Mete, I think the Habs are being a bit aggressive with their development. Another year of junior for Mete and a year in the minors for Fleury certainly would not have hurt either. I've never been a big fan of developing youngsters at the NHL level because the priority is to win games at all costs and not developing and nurturing talent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm thinking his point totals will be mid 20s to low 30s, but like you said it's pretty early know for sure and his lack of exposure isn't helping. I'll be very interested to see how he performs offensively at the WJC this year. Regardless, he's a good prospect that should develop into a good second pair guy (which for the Habs, is a star LD these days.:sarcasm:).

I don't think he's being rushed yet. If he struggles in the NHL, then we can say he is being rushed. As for Fleury and Mete, I think the Habs are being a bit aggressive with their development. Another year of junior for Mete and a year in the minors for Fleury certainly would not have hurt either. I've never been a big fan of developing youngsters at the NHL level because the priority is to win games at all costs and not developing and nurturing talent.

There is no doubt about it... the trends of inserting youth prematurely is certain there with the Habs. That's what happens when we had disaster spans of drafting from 08-14. We have been looking to fill holes for almost a decade now and filling holes with trades/UFA is not easy. Now that we have a deep prospect pool and lots of quality, we are too premature in hoping they shine and fill a hole to early

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out when we look back in 2 or 3 years from now. Personally, I believe each prospect should be managed individually and that is the only thing I will say confidently. I won't pretend to know one way or another how the development goes by starting NHL earlier vs later. Fans are going to pretend that we failed in development in prior years though but I don't see it. I don't see one prospect we failed at developing but I do see a bad prospect pool in the past though!

Reactions: John B

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

not possible. The only way he can leave is if CSKA released him. If you buyout your contract it has to be a year in advance.

MB hasn't met a top prospect he hasn't rushed to the NHL so why stop now. It should pan out one of these days.

Impossible for anyone to know outside of maybe Dr Recchi.

And why wouldn't they just try to resign him instead of all that spite speculation? He can just do what Emelin did and cash in.

Supposedly they have already tried to re-sign him but he didn't accept.

Is Romanov's lack of offense a cause for concern?

It's hard to produce with such limited minutes and no PP time but I'm not sold on his offensive upside. That said at worst he should make a very solid bottom pairing D for us. There is a lot to like about his game, the skating, mobility, his defensive play, his physical play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad