Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I was apprehensive about typing what I did because I anticipated a response just like this one! You must be the type that blames Price after a goal as well. We got rid of every single Russian player we had and didn't resign Markov when even at his age would have arguably have been our best defender, it is not just a conspiracy theory of mine.

Yeah Markov at 39 was arguably our best defenceman ahead of Weber, that make total sense.....

Radulov didn't want to sign in MTL that summer, Scherbak is a bust and Sergachev was trade for Drouin(witch was a mistake IMO).

I don't see any conspiracy here....

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If you're referring to the group that were playing cards on the plane after being eliminated by the Rangers, yes they were Russion. However it was the act that supposedly soured management, not their nationality.
I heard about that but never got the full story. What happened?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah Markov at 39 was arguably our best defenceman ahead of Weber, that make total sense.....

Radulov didn't want to sign in MTL that summer, Scherbak is a bust and Sergachev was trade for Drouin(witch was a mistake IMO).

I don't see any conspiracy here....
Well, I should have sad that Markov was one of our best defenders and I don't know where you got your info that Radulov didn't want to sign here, he did sign here when he came back to the NHL so that makes no sense. In any case all of our Russians are gone and I expect the same fate for Romanov.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If you're referring to the group that were playing cards on the plane after being eliminated by the Rangers, yes they were Russion. However it was the act that supposedly soured management, not their nationality.
So because of the act of playing a card game we no longer have any russian players, I would say that must have been some card game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wouldn't that be Carey Price?

Yeah, well Price was still portrait as a top 10 pick. But yeah, we did WTF that pick, not necessarily because of Price himself, but because we had Theo. Romanov was penciled to be a 5th rounder.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So because of the act of playing a card game we no longer have any russian players, I would say that must have been some card game.
That was my point. Nothing to do with being Russian, it was the perception of attitude. Regardless, I believe both would have been back if a) Marky had an agent and b) Rads wanted to.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That was my point. Nothing to do with being Russian, it was the perception of attitude. Regardless, I believe both would have been back if a) Marky had an agent and b) Rads wanted to.

We all know that, even those who say the contrary. Some just hate the management and they'll come up with anything to attack them.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I guess this should serve as a very good example of why you should reserve judgment when a professional team picks a player you know nothing about "too early" based on consensus rankings.

I'm not talking about a Connor Crisp where everyone knew we got a dud the minute we made the pick. But when a team of professional scouts reach for a player in early 2nd round, they usually do it for a good reason.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Not the same type of WTF....;)

My point about Timmins is that he was never able to get players nobody has heard of or that was penciled to go much lower , selectd him higher and proves to us that he was right. The only guys that fit that profile was probably Streit. Maybe Grabs?Halak? Everything else didn't work since then......until maybe Romanov. Clearly the best chance ever.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

My point about Timmins is that he was never able to get players nobody has heard of or that was penciled to go much lower , selectd him higher and proves to us that he was right. The only guys that fit that profile was probably Streit. Maybe Grabs?Halak? Everything else didn't work since then......until maybe Romanov. Clearly the best chance ever.

He usually goes for these picks in the later rounds, how often do you expect him to hit homeruns? How often does the consensus top picks even make it to the NHL from the 3rd round and on? Streit, Grabovski, Halak, SK74... Doesn't seem all that bad to me.

We've missed plenty of times on consensus picks too. I'll always remember the 2012 draft as the "A++" draft that turned out to be mediocre at best in the end.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's a pretty good point. He has a nasty habit of picking bad players from leagues and teams he's scouted. 2010 Tinordi instead of Faulk. 2011 Didier instead of Gaudreau. 2014 Lernout instead of Point.

It's one thing to misevaluate players across leagues, and it's one thing to not get all of those picks correct. But to never get a single one is frustrating to say the least. To just be so consistently wrong over such a long period and in the same way (limited upside enormous players over demonstrably offensively superior players) is frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: bsl

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So, all of the Russians were in a card game and not one other nationality represented on that plane dared to join in? :laugh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I guess this should serve as a very good example of why you should reserve judgment when a professional team picks a player you know nothing about "too early" based on consensus rankings.

I'm not talking about a Connor Crisp where everyone knew we got a dud the minute we made the pick. But when a team of professional scouts reach for a player in early 2nd round, they usually do it for a good reason.

But Romanov hasn't accomplished anything yet in the NHL, and the players we passed on haven't either. This could take years to see if it was a reach, or not.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
But Romanov hasn't accomplished anything yet in the NHL, and the players we passed on haven't either. This could take years to see if it was a reach, or not.

It's pretty obvious it was a reach based on where he was ranked and what was known of him.

Based on his D+1 season, it's also obviously a win... So far.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
We're going to lose a good player in the expansion draft. Many good forwards will hve to be left unprotected.

But I think Petry will be a ufa, so he doesn't need to be protected. So as of now, we can protect Weber, Mete, Juulsen.

I don't know that they protect both Mete and Juulsen.

Here's the thing: Seattle, like Vegas, will want sure bet dmen, at least 4. It's possible that Juulsen wouldn't be in line with what the team would want to pick up because he isn't a proven asset

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's pretty obvious it was a reach based on where he was ranked and what was known of him.

Based on his D+1 season, it's also obviously a win... So far.

How is any player a 'win' when they haven't played a single game in the NHL?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
How is any player a 'win' when they haven't played a single game in the NHL?

The same way you can call a prospect a miss even though he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

How a prospect develops following his draft has an effect on his value. Romanov is ten times more valuable today than he was 6 months ago.

Therefore, he's a win... So far. I'm thinking this is a fairly simple concept and you're just being obtuse for the hell of it.

Reactions: Favster

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So, all of the Russians were in a card game and not one other nationality represented on that plane dared to join in? :laugh:
Apparently Rads and Marky always played cards on flights. Win or lose. Mike Bossy started the rumour that MB was pissed. Marky dismissed that in an interview.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I was apprehensive about typing what I did because I anticipated a response just like this one! You must be the type that blames Price after a goal as well. We got rid of every single Russian player we had and didn't resign Markov when even at his age would have arguably have been our best defender, it is not just a conspiracy theory of mine.
LOL ! yes it is .
We didn't " get rid " of every single Russin player we had ; Radulov and Markov both refused the offer of Bergevin and choose to play elsewhere . Sergachev was traded because the Habs wanted a creative player in Drouin and that 's the player Tampa wanted in return .
And to end , Galchenyuk ( who's not really a Russian ) was a problem with the team because the bad influence of his father , and because of his nightlife . He didn't fit at all with the direction the Habs wanted to go . They received an excellent offer for him .
If the Habs don't want Russian hockey player , they would have selected someone else than Romanov

Reactions: Acadien86

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
LOL ! yes it is .
We didn't " get rid " of every single Russin player we had ; Radulov and Markov both refused the offer of Bergevin and choose to play elsewhere . Sergachev was traded because the Habs wanted a creative player in Drouin and that 's the player Tampa wanted in return .
And to end , Galchenyuk ( who's not really a Russian ) was a problem with the team because the bad influence of his father , and because of his nightlife . He didn't fit at all with the direction the Habs wanted to go . They received an excellent offer for him .
If the Habs don't want Russian hockey player , they would have selected someone else than Romanov

Would you please stop bringing fact.....facts are way overrated IMO

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Acadien86

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
LOL ! yes it is .
Radulov and Markov were both key members of this hockey team and both should have been signed and the info is out there about both players and what was offered and what was not offered and timelines. They were not priority or it would have never gotten to where it did and we ended up losing both players. We did end up with Mark Streit and Alzner and Hemsky and a better D core proclaimed by our GM and we all know how that went.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->