Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
you don't, you use the eye test. Don't overrate short tournaments, watch them over long periods of time to see how they progress on their strengths and weaknesses. When I watched Subban in the OHL I thought we had a stud on our hands and I took a ton of heat because I ranked him over McDonagh and people said how can he be better then the guy we drafted 12th OA? When I watched Brook last year I said we have something really special on our hands. Only time will tell if he can be close to Subban or not but I could see him being not too far off especially if he can take a big leap physically in strength like Subban did.

Romanov I watch and while there's clearly a lot of things to like about him, I still struggle to figure out what he is as I don't know how much of an offensive game he'll have. Top pairing offense?, 2nd pairing offense, bottom pairing offense? I like the shot and how he's aggressive especially since he plays for a team that doesn't want him to be aggressive in the offensive zone. So it's hard to say with him how good can he be. Can he be close to Subban, I would be shocked if that's the case, they just don't seem anywhere close to me. That said we'll see how much he can improve next year as that's where Subban really started to shine imo.
He is already “shining”. Kid is going to be really good.

Reactions: Goldenhands

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Name me players who were top talent at this short world juniors that busted? Pretty sure the promising sample size trumps the disappointment sample size.

When did I start believeing in Subban? It was when I got to see how he looked against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world. I have the same Hope in Subban as I Do with Romanov.

It’s just undetermined how much better Romanov will get. I get it, you mention PK and it seems like a streatch. I think he can be a mini Subban. I see that potential in him

Well Collberg is one of the top scoring Swedes all time, yet was a total bust. Leblanc looked good for Team Canada. The point is that people shouldn't put too much stock in 5, 6, 7 games. Subban wasn't even that good at the WJC's at 18 if I recall correctly.

When I think of Romanov I certainly don't think of Subban. Can Romanov be a top pairing D? sure, but do I see him being one of the top D's in the NHL that gets fans out of their seats with his puck rushing, spin o rama's, and puts up 50-60 pts, not at all. I see Romanov as a guy that will likely play solid at both ends, use his grate skating and mobility to play a good physical game. The big question I have is his offense, that's a very tough one for me.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
you don't, you use the eye test. Don't overrate short tournaments, watch them over long periods of time to see how they progress on their strengths and weaknesses. When I watched Subban in the OHL I thought we had a stud on our hands and I took a ton of heat because I ranked him over McDonagh and people said how can he be better then the guy we drafted 12th OA? When I watched Brook last year I said we have something really special on our hands. Only time will tell if he can be close to Subban or not but I could see him being not too far off especially if he can take a big leap physically in strength like Subban did.

Romanov I watch and while there's clearly a lot of things to like about him, I still struggle to figure out what he is as I don't know how much of an offensive game he'll have. Top pairing offense?, 2nd pairing offense, bottom pairing offense? I like the shot and how he's aggressive especially since he plays for a team that doesn't want him to be aggressive in the offensive zone. So it's hard to say with him how good can he be. Can he be close to Subban, I would be shocked if that's the case, they just don't seem anywhere close to me. That said we'll see how much he can improve next year as that's where Subban really started to shine imo.
If Romanov has top pairing offense (lets say 0.6 PPG) he will be a star in the NHL. I think he's gonna wind up getting a lot of secondary assists thanks to his transition game and first pass, but I don't think he'll ever be a main contributor to the offense (maybe a second unit PP guy).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Romanov has top pairing offense (lets say 0.6 PPG) he will be a star in the NHL. I think he's gonna wind up getting a lot of secondary assists thanks to his transition game and first pass, but I don't think he'll ever be a main contributor to the offense (maybe a second unit PP guy).

if he ends up a 50 pt D that would be huge for the Habs. That's what I see for Brook but would be surprised if Romanov is a 50ish pt D in the NHL.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Well Collberg is one of the top scoring Swedes all time, yet was a total bust. Leblanc looked good for Team Canada. The point is that people shouldn't put too much stock in 5, 6, 7 games. Subban wasn't even that good at the WJC's at 18 if I recall correctly.

When I think of Romanov I certainly don't think of Subban. Can Romanov be a top pairing D? sure, but do I see him being one of the top D's in the NHL that gets fans out of their seats with his puck rushing, spin o rama's, and puts up 50-60 pts, not at all. I see Romanov as a guy that will likely play solid at both ends, use his grate skating and mobility to play a good physical game. The big question I have is his offense, that's a very tough one for me.

I agree with all of this though I do see a less skilled PK in Romanov. Agile but not crazy fast, physical, big shot and plays with a lot of jam and confidence. Doesn't have PK's puck skills or creativity. There are similarities but definitely don't see him having similar upside. I've been trying to preach caution with Romanov but no one's having it lol. I just don't want people to think we're getting a Markov or Subban. Still could be a helluva D man, top pairing quite possibly but I don't see a bonafide no.1.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
if he ends up a 50 pt D that would be huge for the Habs. That's what I see for Brook but would be surprised if Romanov is a 50ish pt D in the NHL.
I don't expect he will, and hardly think it' possible. Was moreso just stating how unlikely it is that his offense ever becomes top pairing caliber, but if it does, coupled with his defensive abilities how good it would make him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree with all of this though I do see a less skilled PK in Romanov. Agile but not crazy fast, physical, big shot and plays with a lot of jam and confidence. Doesn't have PK's puck skills or creativity. There are similarities but definitely don't see him having similar upside. I've been trying to preach caution with Romanov but no one's having it lol. I just don't want people to think we're getting a Markov or Subban. Still could be a helluva D man, top pairing quite possibly but I don't see a bonafide no.1.

A less skilled PK is certainly possible since that's kind of wide open as to what that would entail. If he doesn't have PK's puck skills or creativity, which was PK's bread and butter, which I agree with you he doesn't, then people really shouldn't be putting Romanov's name in comparison with Subban's. If anyone plays more like Subban it's Brook imo, as rushing the puck up ice, moving the puck are his best assets. I think he'll be close to what Subban brought offensively if he can bulk up some and add strength over the next few years.

The problem with Romanov is most will just go off his WJC's and think we have a future #1 on the way, which we may but for me I tend to not over do it on the WJC's or U-18's. I fell for that trap with Kostitsyn when he killed the U-18s in his draft year and when Collberg was a ppg each year. It's certainly great to see any of our prospects do well there for sure but imo we need to be careful not to put too much into just a few games. What Romanov is doing in the KHL is certainly very impressive and a great sign for us for the future. The more help we can find at LD the better our future looks.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A less skilled PK is certainly possible since that's kind of wide open as to what that would entail. If he doesn't have PK's puck skills or creativity, which was PK's bread and butter, which I agree with you he doesn't, then people really shouldn't be putting Romanov's name in comparison with Subban's. If anyone plays more like Subban it's Brook imo, as rushing the puck up ice, moving the puck are his best assets. I think he'll be close to what Subban brought offensively if he can bulk up some and add strength over the next few years.

The problem with Romanov is most will just go off his WJC's and think we have a future #1 on the way, which we may but for me I tend to not over do it on the WJC's or U-18's. I fell for that trap with Kostitsyn when he killed the U-18s in his draft year and when Collberg was a ppg each year. It's certainly great to see any of our prospects do well there for sure but imo we need to be careful not to put too much into just a few games. What Romanov is doing in the KHL is certainly very impressive and a great sign for us for the future. The more help we can find at LD the better our future looks.

i mean really stylistically he just reminded me of PK but honestly my frame of reference is very Habcentric. I don't watch much hockey anymore. Just without his puck skills and creativity and yeah that's a lot but yeah even the stretch passes. His physicality reminded me a bit of PK and how he just plays with a lot of jam.

I'd be utterly shocked if he could end up a #1. I personally don't see it but people don't need to be taken a back by that. He can still be a huge part of our blue line for years to come. Best case scenario Brook-Romanov are a solid if maybe a bit unspectacular top pairing. I think Brook can be a #1 but not an elite #1. More like a middling comparable one which would still be utterly amazing. Who knows, he could be better. The guy is just dominating the dub. I like our blue line prospects a lot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Romanov looks better in his draft+1 than both Brook and Subban did. (Conversely, McDonagh too.)

The difference here is that Subban and Brook both had boatloads of untapped potential and they completely exploded in their d+2 seasons, it's unfair to Romanov to hold him to the same standards as Subban/Brook because we know what their development curve is like.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Romanov looks better in his draft+1 than both Brook and Subban did. (Conversely, McDonagh too.)

The difference here is that Subban and Brook both had boatloads of untapped potential and they completely exploded in their d+2 seasons, it's unfair to Romanov to hold him to the same standards as Subban/Brook because we know what their development curve is like.

its amazing what he did at the WJCs for an 18 year old and what he's done all season in the KHL for that matter. he did pull off one move that I remember that showed more creativity than I thought. I think it was a fake slap pass or something. Kind of raised my eye brows.

There could be still more to show. That's possible. He definitely showed more puck skills than I thought he had at the WJCs. I just don't think he has #1D puck skills. I didn't see them anyways. Would love to be wrong but I think people are a bit premature in thinking we have a future star here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
its amazing what he did at the WJCs for an 18 year old and what he's done all season in the KHL for that matter. he did pull off one move that I remember that showed more creativity than I thought. I think it was a fake slap pass or something. Kind of raised my eye brows.

There could be still more to show. That's possible. He definitely showed more puck skills than I thought he had at the WJCs. I just don't think he has #1D puck skills. I didn't see them anyways. Would love to be wrong but I think people are a bit premature in thinking we have a future star here.
Some would say Weber doesnt have 1D puck skills either. In reality, he has the vision, skating, positioning and shot to be anything he wants.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i mean really stylistically he just reminded me of PK but honestly my frame of reference is very Habcentric. I don't watch much hockey anymore. Just without his puck skills and creativity and yeah that's a lot but yeah even the stretch passes. His physicality reminded me a bit of PK and how he just plays with a lot of jam.

I'd be utterly shocked if he could end up a #1. I personally don't see it but people don't need to be taken a back by that. He can still be a huge part of our blue line for years to come. Best case scenario Brook-Romanov are a solid if maybe a bit unspectacular top pairing. I think Brook can be a #1 but not an elite #1. More like a middling comparable one which would still be utterly amazing. Who knows, he could be better. The guy is just dominating the dub. I like our blue line prospects a lot.

With Romanov I think it's just a matter of wait and see how much can he progress, develop, to see if he can be a #1 or not. I think the sky is the limit for Brook but how often does everything go right for a prospect. If he can come in and be close to the kind of production Subban brought, a 50+ pt D that would be great for us. If Romanov can come in and be a 30+ pt LD for us that would be very big as well. Anything on top of that is just going to help us even more down the road.

As for our D prospects overall I certainly wouldn't bet against Timmins when he picks defensemen.

don't agree, Brook even with coming back from injury looked better to me then Romanov this year. I was so impressed with Brook last year even though he wasn't scoring. Romanov in the KHL I've had a hard time getting a read on.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yet again, we need the skills. We don't need him with a target on his head. This is a NHL that fights guys that hits like that. It happened in the KHL, it will happen in the NHL. And unless he knows how to take care of himself, which we didn't see him do in that vid, we do not need him to do that.
Yes we do need him to do that

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Well I dont recall much of Collberg at the WJC outside that was great on the PP, not so much at even strength, but I clearly recall Leblanc to be the worst stickhandler on TC and one of the lower skilled fowards on that squad, the only area where he was above average was along the board... Defensively, he was average, I came rather disappointed about this kid to say the least and wasnt surprised to see him bust at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well I dont recall much of Collberg at the WJC outside that was great on the PP, not so much at even strength, but I clearly recall Leblanc to be the worst stickhandlers on TC and one of the lower skilled fowards on that squad, the only area where he was above average was along the board... Defensively, he was average, I came rather disappointed about this kid to say the least and wasnt surprised to see him bust at all...

which year are you talking for Collberg? His last year wasn't as strong as his 1st but he still had 6 pts in 7 games. He's one of the all time leaders in points in Sweden with 19, clearly things didn't go too badly for him.

Leblanc was what 4th in scoring for TC, and that was with moving all over the lineup.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
which year are you talking for Collberg? His last year wasn't as strong as his 1st but he still had 6 pts in 7 games. He's one of the all time leaders in points in Sweden with 19, clearly things didn't go too badly for him.

Leblanc was what 4th in scoring for TC, and that was with moving all over the lineup.
As I said, I dont recall Collberg well, cant really comment on his play outside that he was great on the PP... As for Leblanc, he was clearly smarter than most kids in some areas but as far as pure skills are concerned, I was disappointed... After that tournament, I couldnt see him as a top 2 lines prospect anymore...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Some would say Weber doesnt have 1D puck skills either. In reality, he has the vision, skating, positioning and shot to be anything he wants.

See the vision thing, I don't know about. The stretch passes are there but I didn't see great vision in the O zone. Yeah I mean he'd be more in the Weber mould. He's strong as an ox for his size and just strong period. Romanov seems to be smart like Weber as well. I guess he could be more that style of a #1. But a large part of Weber's production comes from having one of the most dangerous slap shots ever. If you take away Weber's production is he still a #1? Not so sure about that and I'm someone who values his defensive game pretty highly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Collberg and Leblanc should be compared to Suzuki, Brook, and Juulsen. They had decent WJC. Romanov had a very good WJC at age 18 (turned 19 during the tournament). Subban had 0 points in his 1st WJC (7 games) and then followed it up at age 19 with 9 pts in 6 games with 3 goals. An argument can be made that Romanov showed his potential earlier than Subban. Romanov will play another WJC at age 19 (turning 20 during the tournament) too.

I know what you are saying but players who were performing as one of the best in the WJC tournament don't bust. It's very rare. The hype on Romanov is real. The real question is how hungry he is to get better. That is the ingredient that you or I can't predict.

This is more about the eye test and how players can stand out. Romanov clearly stood out like Subban did when he played his age 19 WJC but Romanov did it in his age 18 season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad