Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, he has to buy HIS own contract. with his own money, Montreal can't give him money. That would be like Offering a lower cap hit to a player to after give him money on the side.

Plus, he didn't speak a single english word at the draft, bringing a guy who won't understand anything while he's suppose to have a progression is a bad idea, hopefully he's currently having english class and will be more fluid by 20-21.

how much is his contract worth in Russia?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yes, because no one will wonder what happened when CSKA somehow let Romanov leave with one year on his deal ... you guys would make terrible criminals ! I don't mean that as a compliment... :sarcasm:
I have it all worked out! CSKA has to simply terminate Romanov’s current contract! Why would they? Not sure, but I think we could “try”.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm OK with Romanov playing another KHL season and possibly at the WJC again if they let him go. I am all for not rushing our prospects cause we fell they can fill a hole now. Let them gain confidence and develop at their rate.

Reactions: Sorinth

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
95k per year.

If that's all he makes , and "IF" he wants to come to NHL in 2019-20,it will be very easy for him to buy out his own contract...I'd imagine he will only come if guaranteed NHL...not Laval

The minute he lands on Canadian soil and signs an NHL deal, he'll be a millionaire...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If that's all he makes , and "IF" he wants to come to NHL in 2019-20,it will be very easy for him to buy out his own contract...

The minute he lands on Canadian soil and signs an NHL deal, he'll be a millionaire...
A two way deal pays him 70k in Laval. And no guarantee he makes the NHL this year or ever. If he doesn't make it this year and suffers an injury that compromises his career, 95k is a big loss. I'd wait another year personally.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay so the same questions keep coming up in this thread so I'll make a post where I answer all of them to the best of my ability.

No Romanov cannot come over this season. There is a clause in KHL contracts that allow them to be bought out by the player but there is also a deadline to buy out the contracts. That deadline is a year before the start of the season begins so Romanov would have missed the deadline by at least 6 months now.

There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL so there's no way to send his contract between leagues. He can't sign with the Habs until his current KHL contract expires approximately this time next year.

Any attempt to send money between the NHL and KHL is illegal and would easily be found out. The Habs couldn't buy a KHL contract out, the KHL team would immediately launch an investigation into where money comes from to buy out a contract, and overall it just wouldn't be a situation that could be done in the modern political world.

The minimum KHL contract is approx 95k a year and all first and second year players would make that amount, Romanov included. The KHL is in the midst of a rapid salary reduction right now and has dropped their salary cap 1.1m rub. (At the time 35ish million American) to 800 million rub which is 12.4ish million us dollars, McDavid will make more than entire KHL teams. The KHL formerly had a soft cap where star players could earn more but this is being eliminated, this year they drop it to 30% above cap and the year after its gone. Only 30 KHL players make more than 2m per year and most earn well under 1m.

If Romanov was in the AHL next year he'd make 70k. The difference between a KHL contract and what he'd make in the AHL would be approx 25k. This doesn't account for taxation and I'm not going to even bother trying to figure that piece out (though Russia does have a lot friendly tax rates than Canada from what I understand).

So yeah, I think that covers most of the misconceptions. Below is a link with more answers.

Individual KHL players' salaries

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If that's all he makes , and "IF" he wants to come to NHL in 2019-20,it will be very easy for him to buy out his own contract...I'd imagine he will only come if guaranteed NHL...not Laval

He can't come, see post above.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A two way deal pays him 70k in Laval. And no guarantee he makes the NHL this year or ever. If he doesn't make it this year and suffers an injury that compromises his career, 95k is a big loss. I'd wait another year personally.

Makes no sense to rush him. He's developing well but did not dominate the KHL. So let him play another year in the same situation and then we see where he stands after next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Okay so the same questions keep coming up in this thread so I'll make a post where I answer all of them to the best of my ability.

No Romanov cannot come over this season. There is a clause in KHL contracts that allow them to be bought out by the player but there is also a deadline to buy out the contracts. That deadline is a year before the start of the season begins so Romanov would have missed the deadline by at least 6 months now.

There is no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL so there's no way to send his contract between leagues. He can't sign with the Habs until his current KHL contract expires approximately this time next year.

The minimum KHL contract is approx 95k a year and all first and second year players would make that amount, Romanov included. The KHL is in the midst of a rapid salary reduction right now and has dropped their salary cap 1.1m rub. (At the time 35ish million American) to 800 million rub which is 12.4ish million us dollars, McDavid will make more than entire KHL teams. The KHL formerly had a soft cap where star players could earn more but this is being eliminated, this year they drop it to 30% above cap and the year after its gone. Only 30 KHL players make more than 2m per year and most earn well under 1m.

If Romanov was in the AHL next year he'd make 70k. The difference between a KHL contract and what he'd make in the AHL would be approx 25k. This doesn't account for taxation and I'm not going to even bother trying to figure that piece out (though Russia does have a lot friendly tax rates than Canada from what I understand).

So yeah, I think that covers most of the misconceptions. Below is a link with more answers.

Individual KHL players' salaries

You did a good job breaking it down. Thanks for the info. Romanov will play KHL and possibly another WJC next year. It's OK

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#11/10/2018 #en.khl.ru

Alexander Romanov said:
“I started skating very early. I have been told later, I skated for the first time on a pond when I was around four. It was more or less the same time when I started attending my father and my grandpa’s games. It can be said that I started getting the hockey atmosphere since I was very young. I am involved with hockey since forever.”

“I started playing with Krylya Sovetov for no particular reasons; I didn’t have an aim to play in a more prestigious school. Simply, the rink was close to home, and it took little time to get there. Then, I was living in Odintsovo, and I needed only half an hour to get to school. I always had to ask for time off from lessons to have enough time to get to the practices.”

“I always had good teachers, they always understood my needs”

“They allowed me to develop in everything, so they always let me go to the practices. Of course, I spent a lot of time with tutors at home, but I never had problems.”

“I was always bigger than most of my teammates. When I was 12, I was thick, and I did not have much success as a forward. My coach asked me to play on defense, and I thought: ‘Why not?’ The next year already I started playing for the Moscow Selects as a defenseman. I think that the change in position had a positive impact on me. I started playing another way, and my game has significantly improved.”

“My grandfather always had a huge impact on me, both on and off the ice. I think that it didn’t matter much for him if I was playing on defense or as a forward. However, I think that he is happy that he can teach me how to play in his same role, as he was a defenseman. My grandpa and I talk pretty much after any single game. He watches most of my games on tape. He actively follows me, and we often analyze my games,”

“I like Patrick Kane. I also liked many goalies, but I do not remember a particular name. As I said, I always liked forwards more, for example, Alexander Ovechkin.”

“I have never changed team before,I always played for the Krylya. It was like my second home, and in CSKA I had to adapt to a new team. Of course, I already played against most of the guys. We always had heated games against CSKA! I managed to get within the locker room quite fast. The guys who were my opponents turned out being outstanding guys who helped me in adapting to the new environment.”

“It has been quite surprising at first. An 18-year-old defenseman with the senior team… It was a huge surprise. I try to give my best in all games and practices. For young players, there is no forgiveness. There are lots of competitors for a spot in the lineup; one mistake and that’s it, you can go back to the JHL.”

“Not surprised. I simply give the hundred percent every time. You play as good as you practice. If you work hard, the game will be on your side.”

“During the U18 WJC (April 2018), I only had the most positive emotions,” Romanov says. “The whole Chelyabinsk was cheering for us; the arena was always packed with fans. I really liked everything, the organization, the teams, the games; I really liked the experience a lot. Regarding the game against the USA… in one of the key moments, when the opponent scored us an empty-net goal, Ruslan Iskhakov broke his stick. The Americans had so many great players, many of them were drafted in the NHL this summer. Two excellent teams faced each other, but in some moments, they were better, and we couldn’t oppose them. We had many chances, but the pick didn’t want to get in. You know, in hockey you need to prepare well for the game, but you also need a bit of luck.”

“I almost have no free time. I try to spend some time at home, with my family. I try not to go anywhere as I need to rest during the pauses in the games calendar. Sometimes I just need to go to bed and rest, without even getting out. Very rarely I go somewhere with my friends.”

“For this year, my goal is to help CSKA to win the Gagarin Cup and be a useful member of the team. I would like to be a combat unit like Nikita Nesterov, Alexei Marchenko, and the other guys. I am not going to guess about my future career. I don’t want to talk about my dreams. I want to win everything at once, but this should happen slowly, step-by-step.”

Nikolai Shchedrov (Alexander Romanov’s youth coach) said:
“Alexander was playing with the 1999 group, while I was coaching the 2000-born kids. After a while, he was sent back. Since the first day, he was above his peers because of his courage and hard work. He was a true leader with a never-give-up attitude. At first, he was playing forward. But he was massive and lacked a bit some offensive smarts. He always had a big shot and an excellent reading of the game. Thus, I offered him to play on defense. He was a bit upset about it, but he agreed. In his first game after the position change he scored one or two goals, so he calmed down and started working on his defensive play. I know that now Alexander plays for CSKA and that the Montreal Canadiens drafted him. He has a good average time on ice. I am not following him more closely because I have my kids to think about. Everything is in his hands. The NHL draft is just a good start, he needs to further develop and work. Romanov has all the tools to do it, and I think that he will succeed.”

Reactions: KKWG11

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
My understanding based on the above linked article and articles read online is that Romanov likely makes more right now than he would at the 70k base salary in the AHL, thus why you rarely see russian players make the move until they are certain they have a shot at an NHL roster spot.

He likely earns in the 120-240,000 USD range (CSKA is a rich & successful team, not a bottom tier one.) if not more.

Rushing him into the play anyway wouldn't be good. Let him develop, have another year at the WCJ, and show up the year after that and make a strong case for a spot on the left side on a fresh 3-years ELC.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
My understanding based on the above linked article and articles read online is that Romanov likely makes more right now than he would at the 70k base salary in the AHL, thus why you rarely see russian players make the move until they are certain they have a shot at an NHL roster spot.

He likely earns in the 120-240,000 USD range (CSKA is a rich & successful team, not a bottom tier one.) if not more.

Rushing him into the play anyway wouldn't be good. Let him develop, have another year at the WCJ, and show up the year after that and make a strong case for a spot on the left side on a fresh 3-years ELC.
Money that's the last of my worry. But more about his development path. Won't bash the KHL at all. Romanov playing now at the high level. It's the icing of the cake that he got some ice time during his 1st year with the pros.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

A max KHL rookie contract is 11m rub (170k usd), he doesn't make that because of when he signed. He makes closer to the minimum which is 95-105k range.

The Russian recession and Rubel crash means that Russian currency has lost approx half its value compared to US dollars since 2012

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He can, the only way is if CSKA grants him a release.

Not entirely based on other KHL contracts I've read.

If CSKA release him, he's still under VHL contract until his 20th birthday in January (if he wouldn't report) or end of season. By declaring for this KHL season, he also has committed to the VHL team until end of season.

He would have to be released by both teams.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

The signing bonus can easily cover the 95K, if that is truly his salary in the KHL. With guaranteed professional contract to be signed with Montreal if he comes over, including a high enough signing bonus given up front, any bank would lend him the money to buy out his own contract. Molson doesn't need to give Romanov the money, just talk to his bank manager ;)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The signing bonus can easily cover the 95K, if that is truly his salary in the KHL. With guaranteed professional contract to be signed with Montreal if he comes over, including a high enough signing bonus given up front, any bank would lend him the money to buy out his own contract. Molson doesn't need to give Romanov the money, just talk to his bank manager ;)

Can you do a guaranteed one way contract in the cba mandated rookie contract?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Before anyone asks "Why would he do that?", could he leave the KHL and play junior hockey here? What are the contract implications in that case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad