Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

Haha, I love Ovi.

I do think that the last few years - since him and Nicky B showed up to camp completely out of shape, to 'play into shape' by the TDL - he has really worked even harder in the gym and in training.

I know he still parties (as he should), but, I think he is in great shape and it shows on the ice.

Ovi doesn't seem like the guy to me that wants to play into his early 40s and chase Gretzky's record (it sucks he lost 1.5 seasons to the lockout and if you 'era-adjust' his goals, he'd be right up there with Wayne), but, I would absolutely love, love, love to see him break that record. I don't think it'd be every broken again. But, Ovi (at least to me), seems like the guy that wants to enjoy life while he's young and be able to go back to Russia whenever he wants - maybe finish his career in the KHL? Regardless, I hope not.

Funny tidbit: Ovi is a machine when it comes to drinking - truly a Russian Machine. He'll go to Russia House and pound like 10 heavy beers in two hours - and it won't even seem like it hits him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Haha, I love Ovi.

I do think that the last few years - since him and Nicky B showed up to camp completely out of shape, to 'play into shape' by the TDL - he has really worked even harder in the gym and in training.

I know he still parties (as he should), but, I think he is in great shape and it shows on the ice.

Ovi doesn't seem like the guy to me that wants to play into his early 40s and chase Gretzky's record (it sucks he lost 1.5 seasons to the lockout and if you 'era-adjust' his goals, he'd be right up there with Wayne), but, I would absolutely love, love, love to see him break that record. I don't think it'd be every broken again. But, Ovi (at least to me), seems like the guy that wants to enjoy life while he's young and be able to go back to Russia whenever he wants - maybe finish his career in the KHL? Regardless, I hope not.

Funny tidbit: Ovi is a machine when it comes to drinking - truly a Russian Machine. He'll go to Russia House and pound like 10 heavy beers in two hours - and it won't even seem like it hits him.
Nonsense. He absolutely wants the all-time record. He has it in his sights and has mentioned it. Six more years at an average of 40 goals gets him there.

Plus, Sergei was born in the US. That wasn't an accident. His son is an American citizen by design. He's not going back to Russia for good. Probably not ever. He'll likely split time between Moscow and Florida when his NHL career is over. Playing in the K does nothing for him. He's the GOAT goal scorer in the best league. What does he get for downgrading his competition? He doesn't need the money or anything.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Still needs Kuzy and Backy to feed him well.

Lets not talk about Kuzy right now. I have no reason to believe that Nicklas Backstrom is any less that the beast he was the last playoffs again next season. Not forgetting that Tom Wilson rounds out a line of destruction and finish.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lets not talk about Kuzy right now. I have no reason to believe that Nicklas Backstrom is any less that the beast he was the last playoffs again next season. Not forgetting that Tom Wilson rounds out a line of destruction and finish.

I wouldnt think Backstrom is the only option now.

Nobody predicted the switch after SC win and with some rest Kuzy can get back to mental shape needed to shine. Once he does he will be better option due to speed.

Why proclaim NB the only one now?

I believe with Vrana or Bura Nicky will be just as good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wouldnt think Backstrom is the only option now.

Nobody predicted the switch after SC win and with some rest Kuzy can get back to mental shape needed to shine. Once he does he will be better option due to speed.

Why proclaim NB the only one now?

I believe with Vrana or Bura Nicky will be just as good.

I didn't proclaim Backstrom as the only one. I just said now is not a good time to talk about Kuznetsov. That's all. We know who
Backstrom is. We really don't right now where Kuzy is concerned and there is no point talking about it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think its much interesting case with Kuzy. Backstrom is Backstrom. There are no options with him. He is there until retirement.

Also, heroic scoring from Backstrom this last playoffs is not a given next year. Sample size, you know.

So Id just take anything NB provides and not complain. Ever.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Still needs Kuzy and Backy to feed him well.
6 primary assists coming from Kuznetsov last season,
8 primary assists coming from Backstrom last season

14/51 goals coming from a pass from Kuz or Backy. I love them both, but Ovi does not have that much reliance on them to throw it in the back of the net.

Reactions: Silky mitts

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My read on Backstrom's playoff scoring was that the Caps took what was given to them. Opponents are terrified of both Ovechkin and Wilson for different reasons. As long as they are afraid of Wilson destroying their D and or taking the puck away and Ov scoring it, whoever the center is should score a lot of goals. Which begs why was Kuzy having goal scoring trouble playing with those wings?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad